donator Posts: 4
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

14 years ago I could play WoW for 10 hours straight a day from Vanilla up to Mists of Pandaria and thats where I started playing less and at BFA i quit. Now I have a wife, an 3 year old and i got really excited during this global stress test.

I'm not sure I really want to start playing WoW Classic, because i'm afraid that i will play for hours and can't control myself at when to stop and when to spend time with my family.

I think its most likely possible that my job and my family will suffer from me playing too much wow and not spending the time with my family and will end up screwing up my real life and relationships.

I have encountered during this global stress test that I have been playing for 2-4 hour sessions and I had to leave my family waiting for dinner etc because i just wanted to get my quest done or my level.

Maybe I should look for other good games like battlefield of call of duty or so and respect that i have grown older and have a family now and leave all of the hype for WoW classic :(

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If WOW brings out the worst in you, don’t play WoW.

Kall Selexin Alnir biggle Gallow
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Darkshore
donator Posts: 10
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Simple, get your shit done IRL first.

If the kid or the wife needs help, simply get up and do it.

WoW is a video game, and it will ALWAYS be here for you to sit down and sign back on. Your family however, may not be around forever, especially if you neglect them for a video game.

Guild Master of <Takeover> // Apply Today
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 231
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
If WOW brings out the worst in you, don’t play WoW.
This.

Sounds like you got some good things going on in the real world, don't fuck that up for some old game.

Pagwani Stfuppercut Rinkusan
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Not really sure what you’re expecting from us - just to get it off your chest - or seeking advice?

If it’s the former then I’m sure that many here can sympathise with you.

If it’s the latter my friend you need to man up and put your family first. Tell your wife about it openly and ask her to help you keep it under control if you can’t do that yourself.

Pagwani
Praactic
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I've been telling them since the announcement how big this is for me and I think they understand that I'll be around less at least for the first month, but they are always welcome to visit me on my computer.

Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Self discipline.
1 hour each day can be Vinsjuhnl time, a few more hours on the weekends.
You can still play the game but family is more important. You should talk to your wife about how the game makes you feel and ask her opinion about it .

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

In my opinion if you during the stress test already had them waiting on you like that, I wouldn't play.

Cut it out of your life

Never take a game over IRL stuff, especially if you have a kid.

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Expanse
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Vinsjuhnl wrote:
4 years ago
I think its most likely possible that my job and my family will suffer from me playing too much wow and not spending the time with my family and will end up screwing up my real life and relationships.
Then don't.

/thread

Desolace
donator Posts: 29
Horde
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Vinsjuhnl wrote:
4 years ago
I have encountered during this global stress test that I have been playing for 2-4 hour sessions and I had to leave my family waiting for dinner etc because i just wanted to get my quest done or my level.
There are at least 2 choices:
  • Do not start to play, problem solved.
  • Do play, but change your approach - go from goal-oriented(finish quest/zone/level - easy to be greedy and change the goals mid-session) to play in pre-allocated time slots. You and everyone else now the schedule and know what to expect.

My approach is to take two weeks paid vacation to no-life at release and get one 5-man team to 60(hopefully with full pre-bis for 2-3 of them), and 5 chars to 35 for transmute cooldowns. After that I will have very little time to play, but might be able to raid on one of them and support with some gold/items from other characters. If raiding isn't possible I can at least farm/pvp a little here and there.

Moocifer
donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just give yourself a time slot when your family won't be neglected and stick to it. Forget the long hours of instances and stick to solo questing so you can get up and quit at a moments notice. At least you'll get to play. I am getting up three hours earlier than the wife and hitting the world for just a few hours a day. Not tying myself into instances or raiding but I'll still have a blast back in the world a little at a time.

Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 301
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

OP, you need to change your approach to gaming in general now that you have a child that not only needs food and water but meaningful human interaction.

How about you treat wow as a hobby to do in your spare time? Maybe try the social/community aspect this time around instead of going for a hardcore pvp/pve approach.

Vanilla will ALWAYS be around. Your child will never be 3 again.

Rinkusan
<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde