Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

So, I had a very strange dream last night regarding wow and it's future. For whatever reason, I worked for Blizzard as what seemed to be some sort of intern. As it was a dream, things were very strange... very... very strange. My 4th-grade teacher worked there as did my dentist (just saw him last week...still on the brain? hmmm). Anyways, in the dream, I was trying to pitch some idea about time travel to the devs and story department. I didn't really understand what the hell I was going on about in the dream, but when I awoke, my mind went wild with theories. So let's put on our tin foil hat as I make the most wild ass speculation out there...maybe (because you know... the internet exists).

WOW 2.

Lol, okay...what? I know what you're thinking. Some of you think it will never happen, some of you may think it will but many years in the future. However, in my theory, it won't. It will be what we know and love.

In my theory, WoW Classic is the pre-cursor and setup for WoW 2.

So there are a lot of things happening in BFA right now. Things are bad. Things are bleak. I think things are going to get worse, especially in the next expansion. Yes, I do think there will be another expansion (maybe 2) before we ever see a WoW 2, and I believe these expansions will setup the transition for WoW 2. I think the world is going to get so bad that there is no other option than for someone to reset the clock, and that someone is Nozdormu. I obviously how no details as to how, but in theory, he would sacrifice himself to turn the world back to the days of vanilla.

WoW 2 will be a fully revamped, complete graphics and gameplay overhaul of Vanilla WoW.

However, Nozdormu's ritual it's not a perfect fix. While he does rewind time, some things are different. The world will be VERY familiar, but it will also be different. The Horde & Alliance will still exist, but some of the other races from later expansions may already be around. Why? How? I guess we'll find out.

This isn't the exact same world you knew, but a parallel universe.

Some of the leaders in power may not be in power yet, or maybe at all. Some villains may not be villains. Some heroes may be villains. It's like you're living a really bad dream in regards to the world we knew. It's soooo similar, yet creepily different.

But if it's mostly the same, wouldn't we already know all the content?

Not necessarily. The world is familiar, but the story has changed. The motives are different. The dungeons might operate differently, some dungeons might become raids. What if the Defias played a larger part? What if Deadmines became a full on 20 or 40 man raid? What if BRD was a full on raid? What if Blackwing Layer was broken down into multiple 5 man dungeons? What if

What about expansions? Would they be the same?

Not at all. The expansions might be completely new. The timeline is new. World problems are new. Everything is the same, but new.

I believe the main storyline could involve Jaina having weird dreams of an alternate reality (the world we knew) and she has this uneasy feeling that the world she is living in (the new one) isn't real, isn't true. Maybe she starts looking for help, but people start labeling her as crazy. What if her antics have her exiled from the alliance? What if she sets up shop as a neutral faction in Kharazan? What if the game now had a 3rd faction? Horde, Alliance, and one more? Maybe the only person willing to hear her out is Thrall? Is Thrall in charge? Does Thrall leave the Horde? Does he join up with Jaina to create a neutral faction?

I think a 3 faction PvP system alone would be incredible for the game. We've seen 3 faction MMO's do well in pvp in the past, most notibly DAoC. I think if anyone can pull it off, it's Blizzard.

-----

Anyways. That's the batshit crazy theory. It's full of holes, it's ridiculous, but I thought it was pretty fun and an interesting way to relive the glory of original wow without it being stale, all the while running a gorgeous new engine, graphics, etc. as a next-gen MMO. I think this is a great way to continue the story and bring it back to the beginning without being labeled "Lazy" or "unimaginative".

What are your thoughts? What would you like to see in a sequel to WoW?

Quaria centurion Selexin Umbra CBX
donator Posts: 59
Alliance

I wouldn’t be against a WoW 2 in a distant future, given that it was a Vanilla revamp as you say; no flying mounts, no arenas, no homogenisation of the classes, no normalisation of pet speed, no amusement park, no easy loot, no AOE instances, etc. etc.

Rogue Combat
US Westfall
Orc
Rogue

Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
I wouldn’t be against a WoW 2 in a distant future, given that it was a Vanilla revamp as you say; no flying mounts, no arenas, no homogenisation of the classes, no normalisation of pet speed, no amusement park, easy loot, AOE instansens, etc. etc.
That sounds like the makings of a great game! Too bad we're all living in a world through rose-tinted glasses :P

Quaria
Badlands
donator Posts: 3
Horde
Warrior

I had a fun time reading that. I really enjoy your Jaina Proudmoore idea where she actually finds out something happened and the New World was almost like a Matrix.

Personally, I was hoping the re-release of Vanilla would have been the same core game and core mechanics, but had the modern graphics update.

couchatron
Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 25
Horde
Warrior

My god. You didn’t have a dream you had a vision. This is genius.

couchatron
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue

I love tinfoil theories. I love the idea of the defias playing a larger role, after all their cause is one that average humans could easily fall into. They could easily try (and fail) to take stormwind. WoW 2 with an alternate timeline would be so fun.
As for 3 factions, I'd love it. It works great in ESO. I personally would love to have the sourge as a 3rd faction. I always thought Arthas should've done more, considering he wanted to crush the legion so he still had a goal he never saw finished. It never felt right that he kinda just sat up there in Northrend waiting for ? . But there could be plenty of ways WoW 2 could go if it was to exist, as they could do an alternate reality and I'd love it.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

I think it’d be pretty cool if some signature events are what made the timeline different. Imagine...

• Sylvanas was away from Quel’Thalas when Arthas raids it. She’s alive and the High Elf faction leader who may or may not be avoiding helping the Alliance though technically allied.
  • Gnomeregan doesn’t get trogg’d and therefore not irradiated.
  • Since we have Gnomeregan, the Darkspear get a real place in Echo Isles of similar size.
  • Tyrande and Malfurion break up. Maybe in a later update Illidan tries to get back in the picture. Finds out she’s with Shandris. Ouch.
  • Tiffin Wrynn isn’t dead, but maybe the King is still missing. Whenever we find him again though please no gladiator matches, weird swords, or anime hair.
  • Nathanos Blightcaller, UD Garithos, I dunno, someone else leads the Forsaken and somehow make the lore work. Can’t be worse than what they did to retail.
  • Jaina’s father is still alive which is weird because she’s pretty sure she remembers him dying.
  • Stupid things like worgen curse instead of scythe dimension, retconning Draenei into Eredar, etc. are never used and aren’t real.

couchatron
Rogue Combat
US Westfall
Orc
Rogue

Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
I think it’d be pretty cool if some signature events are what made the timeline different. Imagine...
  • Sylvanas was away from Quel’Thalas when Arthas raids it. She’s alive and the High Elf faction leader who may or may not be avoiding helping the Alliance though technically allied.
  • Since we have Gnomeregan, the Darkspear get a real place in Echo Isles of similar size.
  • Tyrande and Malfurion break up. Maybe in a later update Illidan tries to get back in the picture. Finds out she’s with Shandris. Ouch.
  • Tiffin Wrynn isn’t dead, but maybe the King is still missing. Whenever we find him again though please no gladiator matches, weird swords, or anime hair.
  • Nathanos Blightcaller, UD Garithos, I dunno, someone else leads the Forsaken and somehow make the lore work. Can’t be worse than what they did to retail.
  • Jaina’s father is still alive which is weird because she’s pretty sure she remembers him dying.
  • Stupid things like worgen curse instead of scythe dimension, retconning Draenei into Eredar, etc. are never used and aren’t real.

Heck yes. All of these are great concepts. And with Jaina and Thrall both having visions and dreams of another life. They both know that this just ISN'T normal. Thrall could even be more on the fence. He has the dreams, but he remembers his past in the new world. Jaina however basically wakes up one day and has no recollection of this world, just the old world. She feels like a stranger.

Linguine
Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

couchatron wrote:
5 years ago
Linguine wrote:
5 years ago

Heck yes. All of these are great concepts. And with Jaina and Thrall both having visions and dreams of another life. They both know that this just ISN'T normal. Thrall could even be more on the fence. He has the dreams, but he remembers his past in the new world. Jaina however basically wakes up one day and has no recollection of this world, just the old world. She feels like a stranger.
Thrall could have been raised by his real parents instead of as a gladiator. Feels strangely friendly towards humans but just can’t place why.

I think it’d be a cool twist if down the road a few other people reveal they remember something. I mean, maybe Sylvanas thinks she just woke up from a really, really bad dream.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

WTB defias raid or 10 man dungeon

couchatron
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
donator Posts: 1
Tauren
Hunter

Was thinking about 3 factions before too, I figured something like this.

Alliance

Human
Dwarf
Gnome
High Elf

Horde

Orc
Tauren
Troll
Ogre

Forsaken

Undead
Blood Elf
Worgen
Naga

Neutral

Night Elf
Draenei
Goblin
Pandaren?

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior

My first reaction to this:

"We already did a time-travel expansion. It sucked and the story made no sense. Let's not repeat that mistake"

My second reaction:

"You know, I've been saying for years that Cataclysm should have been WoW 2 instead of an expansion pack"

My third reaction:

"Wait, you mean like what if the WoW Classic 'You Can't Go Home Again' announcement trailer was actually Chromie sending us back in time to change history? HOLY JESUS YES WANT WANT WANT"

I'm not on board with the seemingly random Cataclysm-style changes like turning raids into dungeons, but certainly the idea of wiping out ALL expansion packs and progressing through a series of new ones, having learned from Blizzard's game-design mistakes over the past 12 years, with a story based on something like Chromie recruiting Illidan and Pandas to help invade Deepholm and kill Deathwing before he can cause the Shattering, and then moving on to Arthas and the Legion, would rock an incalculable amount of ass. Or, we could also recruit Arthas to help fight Deathwing and the Legion, and then he could betray us at an inopportune moment...

couchatron
Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Arathi Highlands
donator Posts: 3
Troll
Hunter

That's the dream, make wow 2 from classic, following vanilla ideology.
I think what would be more important is that this frees up the warcraft IP, I have no doubt they would've made wc4 by now if they didn't already burned all their bridges from tbc onwards.

Muhip
Ironforge
donator Posts: 28
Alliance
Warrior

Something along those lines could happen if vanilla becomes a huge hit.

The problem i see why it probably won't is: Vanilla is driven by the NOCHANGES nostalgic crowd. What will happen in a couple of years, will the same playerbase request an authentic BC experience? And after that an authentic WOTLK?

Can we trust Blizz to make an alternative expansion while staying true to the tenents that made early WOW great? My answer at the moment would be no.

I fear with a potential wow 2.0 we would get a potential retail 2.0. An alternative history sounds great in theory, but i would rather they focus on what works for now and release BC/WOTLK down the line with minimal to no changes.

|Gutbuster| - Dwarf warrior - Dwarven defender
Server: Zandalar tribe
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 29
Human
Warrior

Zarias wrote:
5 years ago
make wow 2 from classic, following vanilla ideology.
Definately this. If Blizz wants to continue after classic they should

1- Never have flying mounts
2- Never have LFM/LFG tools.
3- Never have portals to everywhere
4- Never have raid difficulties (mythic etc.)
5- Never have heirlooms
6- Never have cross-realm anything
7- Never have any stats for only pvp

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior

Muhip wrote:
5 years ago
Zarias wrote:
5 years ago
make wow 2 from classic, following vanilla ideology.
Definately this. If Blizz wants to continue after classic they should

1- Never have flying mounts
2- Never have LFM/LFG tools.
3- Never have portals to everywhere
4- Never have raid difficulties (mythic etc.)
5- Never have heirlooms
6- Never have cross-realm anything
7- Never have any stats for only pvp
1 - STRONGLY disagree. Old-world flying was the #1 best thing about Cataclysm. Gating flying behind Pathfinder achieves is the worst thing about the newest 3 expansions (in the sense that it's the worst thing that all 3 have in common. the individual expansions have their own unique and much worse crimes). Pretty much anything that lets you spend less of your time traveling and more of your time actually playing the game is good, IF it doesn't destroy the sense of where everything is relative to everything else.

2 - PARTIALLY agree. Clicking on the green eye and putting a group together manually, like we already do with mythic dungeons and non-LFR raids, is fine. Hitting the green eye and being grouped with a bunch of randoms is also okay, but less so. Being teleported to the raid/dungeon = BIG NO.

3 - STRONGLY agree. Portals disrupt the sense of where everything is relative to everything else.

4 - AGREE, though individually activated hard modes like in Ulduar are fine.

5 - PARTIALLY agree. Heirlooms were perfectly sane back when they were restricted to shoulders, chest pieces, and weapons. The current mess... not so much.

6 - Disagree, but also kind of don't care. Cross-realm raiding should be allowed. I'm less certain about CRZ, or with cross-realm Dungeon Spammer.

7 - Agree, but also kind of don't care.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin

I think WoW will not happen in the next 10 years if it even happens.

The thing is that the Xpacks got so out of order with time and the original plan was something else.

My perfect WoW would be this:
Vanilla>Wotlk>TBC>Legion>WOW

This is lorewise not from the gameplay changes or so.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo