Deadwind Pass
donator Posts: 101
Alliance
Warlock

Hey guys, just thought I would share this documentary about WoW addiction. Even if the subject matter of addiction does not interest you, its really interesting to see the footage back then of friends playing from WoWs release and covering those early months! Worth the hour or so watch time

centurion

Vikernes - Human Warlock - Arugal
Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

Totes gonna watch this tonight. Thanks for posting!

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

Feels odd to come out with the whole game addiction in 2011. Even by that time, that was old news. A weird bauble that mainstream society oggled at for a few minutes and dropped for something else. The era for concerns about game addiction came at WoW's peak in like 2006-8. Nobody was really talking about this anymore by the time this got made.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Deadwind Pass
donator Posts: 101
Alliance
Warlock

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Feels odd to come out with the whole game addiction in 2011. Even by that time, that was old news. A weird bauble that mainstream society oggled at for a few minutes and dropped for something else. The era for concerns about game addiction came at WoW's peak in like 2006-8. Nobody was really talking about this anymore by the time this got made.
I think the guy just wanted to share his work and friends story. It did not come across as anti-gaming or anything to me and it was made back at WoW's launch despite it coming out much later. I totally get why he made it, but I dont understand why it took so long to come out. I assume its because it was an amature project done as a hobby?

Vikernes - Human Warlock - Arugal
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

Toastea wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
I think the guy just wanted to share his work and friends story. It did not come across as anti-gaming or anything to me and it was made back at WoW's launch despite it coming out much later. I totally get why he made it, but I dont understand why it took so long to come out. I assume its because it was an amature project done as a hobby?
Oh definitely. I can see I came across more prick-ish than I intended.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Deleted User 628
donator Posts:
Deleted User 628

Toastea wrote:
5 years ago
I totally get why he made it, but I dont understand why it took so long to come out. I assume its because it was an amature project done as a hobby?
"The concept came about after I finished up at the University of Arizona. My degree was in Media Arts, so I wanted to do a film... well, I wanted to do a short, film really. So, as big fans of the Warcraft RTS and a fan of Everquest... my brothers and I were excited about WoW. I had an idea that this game would be big. But, never did I think that my idea for a short would evolve into such a long project. In the end, the evolution of the concept is palpable throughout the film; from the evolution of our players, to the quality of our footage and beyond. At some point, I knew I had something so I moved to LA and got introduced to Alex who was instrumental in finishing the film. Together, we continued to film for another three more years. In the end, what we have today is truly something unique and I am really proud of how it all turned out."

Greg Stuetze

Toastea teebling