Occam
donator Posts:

For instance I believe warlock has a build that allows for high end raiding while also allowing for farming PVP at a decent level. Any others come to mind?

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

Well the usual best PvE build for Warlocks is the SM/Ruin build, at least I think that's what they usually run. And warlock in general with any spec is no joke in PvP.

Combat Rogue is fine for PvP, deep frost mage is fine for PvP (though back in the day people would PvP with fire as well), and I think hunters raiding Marksmanship spec was good for PvP as well. Hunters, Rogues, and Warlocks are just good PvP classes no matter what you do.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

Mages, full frost. You can build it while leveling and turn it into an effective AOE grinder. It works well as a beginner spec with Winter's Chill to support other geared raid mages. It is also super effective for PvP, the defensives make 2v1's a snap....a cold snap!

s1atan Occams
Our time will come.
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 51
Horde
Hunter

Hunter, especially in the early raid scene. Farm/pvp/raid, the world is yours.

Stfuppercut Ezekeel
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Stka wrote:
5 years ago
Hunter, especially in the early raid scene. Farm/pvp/raid, the world is yours.
Hunters are the all-terrain vehicle of WoW.

Stfuppercut
donator Posts: 59
Alliance

In addition to the aforementioned Combat Rogue, Frost Mage and Warlock (SL might actually work PvE aswell played as a DS/Ruin without Ruin) I add Druid Moonglow/Resto, Priest Disc and Shaman Elemental/Resto.

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 3
Horde
Shaman

test

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 2
Horde
Shaman

hunter is incorrect, its mage priest or shaman

Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
SL might actually work PvE aswell played as a DS/Ruin without Ruin
And if my grandmother had wheels she would've been a bike.

Alliance

Nymis wrote:
5 years ago
Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
SL might actually work PvE aswell played as a DS/Ruin without Ruin
And if my grandmother had wheels she would've been a bike.
Haha, funny quote. If you think the specs are so fundamentally different I’ll rephrase myself: I think a Warlock can get away with a SL spec in PvE (using DS in PvE, not SL ofcourse). Not talking about min/maxing, in which case NO class has a spec which is perfect for both PvE and PvP.

Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 51
Horde
Hunter

mustybacon wrote:
5 years ago
hunter is incorrect, its mage priest or shaman
Interesting. Wrong, but interesting.

Stfuppercut
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
Not talking about min/maxing, in which case NO class has a spec which is perfect for both PvE and PvP.
Except for full-frost mages. Listed as such in most mage guides lol. The difference comes after BWL when mages have to go full fire since raid mobs stop becoming so resistant to fire and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=12848/ignite can really shine. PvP as full fire provides significantly less defensive protections that frost has but if you have an aggressive play-style it can work just fine in PvP as well.

Our time will come.
Alliance

Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
Not talking about min/maxing, in which case NO class has a spec which is perfect for both PvE and PvP.
Except for full-frost mages. Listed as such in most mage guides lol. The difference comes after BWL when mages have to go full fire since raid mobs stop becoming so resistant to fire and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=12848/ignite can really shine. PvP as full fire provides significantly less defensive protections that frost has but if you have an aggressive play-style it can work just fine in PvP as well.
I don’t agree because a full frost mage going semi-deep in Arcane would choose Arcane Meditation for PvE but Imp Counterspell for PvP. A full frost mage would have Winter’s Chill for PvE but for PvP those points would be better invested elsewhere (even Impact would be better only for Fireblast). Thus, not even a frost mage has an ideal spec for both PvE and PvP at the same time.

Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
I don’t agree because a full frost mage going semi-deep in Arcane would choose Arcane Meditation for PvE but Imp Counterspell for PvP. A full frost mage would have Winter’s Chill for PvE but for PvP those points would be better invested elsewhere (even Impact would be better only for Fireblast). Thus, not even a frost mage has an ideal spec for both PvE and PvP at the same time.
I mean you'd have to make some sacrifices. No build is 100% perfect for both PvP and PvE. In fact, that's not even what the thread is about. A 31 point Frost Mage build is good in PvP and PvE, and you can add more points Frost or Arcane to suit your needs. The amount of choice you have is what makes the game fun. If you going to widdle down the specs to both PvP and PvE viability, Frost Mage 100% makes the short list.

Cletus
Alliance

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Quaria wrote:
5 years ago
[...] NO class has a spec which is perfect for both PvE and PvP.
Except for full-frost mages [...]
I don’t agree because [...]
I mean you'd have to make some sacrifices. No build is 100% perfect for both PvP and PvE. In fact, that's not even what the thread is about [...]
I agree and that’s exactly what I said if you follow the quotes.

Gensei
Deleted User 628
donator Posts:
Deleted User 628

I'm throwing in the https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=24894 ... f-the-wild / https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=17116 ... s#comments aka "restobear" druid spec (either 0/30/21 or 1/29/21).
You'll be a jack of all trades, master of none, but still viable - depending on your choice of gear - and able to

- farm stuff solo
- do cat DPS in 5 mans (either in damage or in hybrid gear - with hybrid gear you can also off tank and off heal if sh*t hits the fan)
- tank 5 mans and bosses in Alterac Valley (with tanking gear)
- off tank in raids (with tanking gear)
- heal in raids (with healing gear)
- PvP (either as a flag runner, healer or - the most fun - utilizing all druid tools and be a true hybrid)

You could also

- heal in 5 mans, which I avoid as long as there isn't another class with a regular rezz in the group

If you want to excel in a certain role, this spec may not be the right choice, but if you like to be versatile and embrace the life of a true hybrid, this is a great spec and in my opinion second to none.

teebling Occams
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

I played as 0/30/21 for nearly all of Vanilla, and raided as a healer. I quite often topped healing too. I geared HEAVY int, fuck spirit, and had decent mp5. I had over 8k buffed mana in Molten Core and I could just spam Rank 4 HT constantly. It is a very very effective, yet boring, raiding healer. I also saved the raid by being able to shift to bear and OT at the death of a warrior. Battle Rez and Innervate were given to others (I didn't need innervate for myself).

Outside of raids I was pretty viable for PvPing as a feral/resto and also grinding/questing was easy.

8/10 would recommend 0/30/21 druid build for raiding.

Rinkusan
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
donator Posts: 30
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

For damage, ele shammy and DS/ruin lock are the best. Running the either build in pve loses 5% healing/damage, which is fine for anything but progression. For healing, disc priest and resto druid are nearly identical. You pretty much just don’t have the threat talents. 1% difference, if that. I imagine pallies are the same, but I don’t play ally. Mage and rogue are sort of okay, as are most hybrid specs not mentioned. Everything else, you’re better off just spending an hour to farm the respec gold.

Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If you have the hit gear, you can DW Fury Warrior pretty well in PvP and PvE without having to change specs. This is pretty gear dependent though. If you're rocking greens and low end blues with low hit, it's going to be miserable.

This was my Feral/Resto build I used back in the day on my druid that allowed me to do my basic resto healing in raids and still have my desired pvp feral stuff for BG's. It made me a beast in WSG. All puns intended. It worked in raids because I was always the raid spot healer. I was never a tank healer.
https://classicdb.ch/?talent#0zL0hZxGMoZVE0oeq

Deadwind Pass
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 223
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

As above, Hunter is good for both, not many needed for raids but you don't need to re-spec, Warlock SL-Nightfall could work for PvE, it's insane for PvP.
Full frost Mage could go too. Fury Warrior is not that bad for PvP, maybe Arms could 5man dungeons and PvP at the same time.

<Tyranny>
Herod - PvP