Undercity
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 182
Horde
Rogue

This is a place to help @teebling gather feedback about the site.
Leave a comment with your suggestions or ideas.

Flerex slud
ModeratorPrivate Message
Teldrassil
US Herod
donator Posts: 31
Alliance
Mage

I can't agree more with you. Maybe showing all people that gave a like is a bit overkill, but showing somewhere the number of likes and maybe in an hover or something showing the full list would be better. Especially if it's not in the same place as the post content.

What I don't understand is this:

Syturio wrote:Make us able to write 2+ spaces character in row.
Why would anyone need this? I don't even know why it's possible to write two characters in a row.

Undercity
EU Shazzrah
Horde
Rogue

Flerex wrote:
6 years ago
Syturio wrote:Make us able to write 2+ spaces character in row.
Why would anyone need this?
It's not really a big deal i know, but sometimes i want to separate certain words from each other and i can't because it only allows 1 space.

ModeratorPrivate Message
Teldrassil
US Herod
donator Posts: 31
Alliance
Mage

Yeah, because words are only supposed to be separated with one space, aren't they?

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Thanks for this syturio I will add on the leftovers from other feedback threads to your post.

Not had any time to work on updates recently as I am super busy on board, sorry guys!

Undercity
EU Shazzrah
Horde
Rogue

Bump.

ModeratorPrivate Message
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Just to respond to some of the remaining suggestions:

• Dislike button: can be removed, I cannot develop this alongside the ‘likes’ system already in place.
  • Number of likes: can be removed, also impossible - I looked into this during 1.2 dev and its not an option unfortunately.
  • Diff forum for site related threads: Considering this for next patch
  • More thread formatting options: can be removed - font size can already be changed using [size] bbcode, and color with [color] bbcode. I will not let users change fonts and other CSS properties because it will break the visual conformity of the site’s design.
  • Font size to 14px: considering this for next patch its a good point, also on mobile an even bigger increase is justified.
  • New thread for each patch: good idea, definitely happening.
  • Avoid user cache refresh: I actually addressed this in patch 1.2 using CSS versioning - the problem is that chrome/safari caches are so aggressive and difficult to get rid of that it simply isnt enough. Will look into it further but really there is little I can do unless users have changed from the default browser settings around these days. It’s simply not my fault :P
  • Styling scroll bar: can be removed. It sounds easy but its not - every browser has a different approach and what you end up with is a half baked solution that looks bad on all browsers. Much better to keep it default. I can get rid of the vertical scrollbar on the profile views bit though I think.
  • Additional forums: can be removed. I will always keep the main forum topic list as the front page - this is so people can see and dive into the discussion straight away instead of having to navigate through lists of forums where you can post some things and in others not - that to me is not user friendly and it discourages people from reading and posting. To me there’s nothing more uninviting than endless rules, categorisation and sub-categorisation. We’re here to talk about WoW Classic and that all goes in one forum as far as I’m concerned. I may add subforms if, and ONLY if, we really need them, but we don’t right now - they will be ghost towns with little posts and hardly ever read by users (analytics data will support this its not just a hunch). There’s really no need at the moment.

Syturio
Teldrassil
donator Posts: 62
Horde
Hunter

Bigger font size on phones would be great, otherwise loving this patch well done!!

Syturio
Undercity
EU Shazzrah
Horde
Rogue

[mention]teebling[/mention]

I had an idea...
Since we now can choose an Category & Icon when making a thread...

What if you add an option, when viewing the main forum, to filter threads by Category / Icon.
Lets say i want to only view threads related to PvP, i could use that option to filter and view only threads related to PvP.

This way we can still keep the main forum topic list as the front page, and allow users to search for specific subjects!

ModeratorPrivate Message
Undercity
EU Shazzrah
Horde
Rogue

Also, minor thing i noticed...
Alliance badge has the logo a lot bigger than the Horde badge.

ModeratorPrivate Message
Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

What about giving forum awards in the form of items attached to our avatars or on our profiles, like badges and stuff? Exampled at the top of my head:

Normal mount for posting daily every day for 40 consecutive days.
Epic mount for posting daily for 100 consecutive days.
Nifty Stopwatch for replying to 40 threads within an hour of being posted.
Scroll of Intellect for authoring a guide.
Mining Pick for contributing to the website somehow (artwork, programming development).
Gold Scarab for reporting a bug that was later fixed.

Feralas
donator Posts: 71
Horde
Hunter

When making a post, show threads similar to the one being made based on what the user wrote in the title field. Exactly how Stackoverflow does it. This should make it more obvious when a post will be a dupe.

Full bore!
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Nymis wrote:
5 years ago
What about giving forum awards in the form of items attached to our avatars or on our profiles, like badges and stuff?
Hey Nymis thanks for the suggestion. We actually had an 'achievements' system back in patch 1.2 but it was discontinued soon after due to negative feedback - people were very concerned about post whoring for achieves and the system I had in place was pretty buggy and limited in scope.

I will be revisiting the concept soon as I would like there to be a way to reward people such as yourself who have contributed a lot to the site and deserve recognition/reward for this.

I've had two loosely related ideas recently which are all within the realm of possibility technically:

1. 'Commendations' which I can hand out to people at my discretion for things like service to the community, guide authorship, commitment to publicising the website etc. I even drew up some mock badges recently for fun just to see what they might look like on the profile page. This is the easiest to implement and guarantees no abuse.

2. A Gold system, in which gold can be earned by posting on the forums, referring people to the site, and doing other helpful stuff like that. The gold would then be able to be spent within a shop, where items can be bought to go into a member's 'inventory' on their profile page. Seems like a cool idea and could be a sort of mini-game on the forum but then again it smells to me like feature-rot and could be taking the site in a direction that strays from my original goals for the place.

So yeah - some sort of medals/achievements/recognition system is definitely back on the table development-wise. I'm just trying to find the simplest and most effective solution at this time.
acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
When making a post, show threads similar to the one being made based on what the user wrote in the title field. Exactly how Stackoverflow does it. This should make it more obvious when a post will be a dupe.
I am currently working on patch 1.8 which will have a search function. During this time I looked at making it an instant drop-down results as-you-type affair but it looks awfully complicated to me. Would require additional JS libraries, an account with a 3rd party API and so on so forth.

So whilst this would be really awesome, especially in the future where a lot of topics are going to be reposted, I don't think I've got the skills to make it happen right now - not for the site search or the topic subject suggestion. I've added it to the postponed ideas list however since it's a really neat idea.

Syturio
Mage Frost
donator Posts: 1
Mage

Hey all,

Do you plan to add the current Oceana servers into the US list for Barrens Chat forums? All Oceana servers which were around in vanilla, were hosted in the US and included in the US region all throughout vanilla. I fondly remember playing all vanilla with 560ms ping.

Thanks

Thunder Bluff
donator Posts: 68
Tauren
Druid

First of all I'd like to mention that this site is really well run and it's a breeze to find out how to do anything, so thank you for that!

So I was wondering if you were planning on adding a button in threads that you're able to click that brings you to the first unread message in that thread? I noticed going through long threads I'd have to scroll for a bit before I get to the comment I have not seen.

I'm aware this is only a QoL implementation and not very important, but just something that I noticed.

Thanks for this awesome site!

Syturio
Nala - Feral Druid - Grobbulus
"May the eternal sun shine upon thee"
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Click the little ‘quill’ icon on the list of topics and it will take you to the last post - haven’t integrated one for the first unread post yet so will add that to my list for patch 1.7 :)

To help you out in the meantime - you should see a green ‘unread’ text in the top right of undread posts, and a green triangle in the top right of unread posts on mobile.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

gbus wrote:
5 years ago
Hey all,

Do you plan to add the current Oceana servers into the US list for Barrens Chat forums? All Oceana servers which were around in vanilla, were hosted in the US and included in the US region all throughout vanilla. I fondly remember playing all vanilla with 560ms ping.

Thanks
Added.

Elwynn Forest
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 35
Horde
Rogue

Maybe more mini-games?

I havent been on any forums lately so I can't really propose anything, but the theme clearly has a potential for mini forum games such as lvling already implemented.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mulgore
donator Posts: 4
Horde
Druid

Adding an image hoster embedded with the editor would be great ! Also it would avoid having posts with broken IMG URL links months from now.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

Will there be any way to change a username or do I just abandon this account?

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Toshiok wrote:
5 years ago
Will there be any way to change a username or do I just abandon this account?
Just PM me with what username you want and I'll change it for you :smile:

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin

I'd like to suggest select-text quoting. The Blizzard forums have had this feature for a few years now, and I've found myself missing it a bunch here. Essentially, when you go to quote someone, you can just select the text you want to quote from the person, and not their entire post. This is useful when you want to respond to a specific sentence instead of an entire paragraph, and prevents you from having to edit the post and remove the parts you don't want in the quote.

I think Blizzard's forums have a small button appear when you select text, and I think some forums allow you to just highlight and smash the "reply" button and it will only quote your selection.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Henhouse wrote:
5 years ago
I'd like to suggest select-text quoting. The Blizzard forums have had this feature for a few years now, and I've found myself missing it a bunch here. Essentially, when you go to quote someone, you can just select the text you want to quote from the person, and not their entire post. This is useful when you want to respond to a specific sentence instead of an entire paragraph, and prevents you from having to edit the post and remove the parts you don't want in the quote.

I think Blizzard's forums have a small button appear when you select text, and I think some forums allow you to just highlight and smash the "reply" button and it will only quote your selection.
Good suggestion and one I miss myself! I'll look into it.

Henhouse
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin

I have another suggestion! When browsing pages where the posts are very lengthy, I am forced to scroll quite a lot back to the top to change where I want to go. If you could somehow cram a subtle "Up?" or arrow or something of sorts that would just pop me back to the top immediately (maybe somewhere in between the last post and the quick reply box), that would be incredible.

Example thread with a lot of scrolling: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101

teebling Abannon Syturio
Undercity
EU Shazzrah
Horde
Rogue

@teebling
Can you allow us to use images on goto anchors? Right now it only works with text.
Example:

Code: Select all

[goto=firstanchor][image]url_for_the_image[/image][/goto]

ModeratorPrivate Message