Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 64
Troll
Priest

Obviously the game will be distributed as a digital download, but it would be really cool to see some sort of physical copies for sale for collection. Going the extra mile would be a collectors edition with some sort of manual/guide/map/OST thing included. Although, based on what (very little) came with the BFA Collectors Edition it seems like Blizzard are trying their best to kill off the Collectors Edition traditions. What do you think?

Amyrildora
"Ya got my attention."

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

There is such a huge opportunity for them to make money here. People are of course buying into a great game but also an experience which undoubtedly pulls on the heartstings of old times.

Physical game copies, guide books, atlases etc. were a part of that experience for many back in the day when online resources were not as rich and informative as they are today. People will definitely buy it.

Blizzard if you are reading this (I wish lol):

• Themed USB stick with the game files ready to install (better than downloading through bnet client)
  • Copy of original or updated game manual
  • Nice boxes and packaging
  • Partner with Brady games for republished dungeon companion guides etc.
  • Atlas

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 1
Orc
Warrior

I think this would be such a huge missed opportunity if Blizzard didn't release a collectors edition, even if it just included an OST or maybe even like the good ole' days a 'behind-the-scenes' dvd would be reason enough for me to purchase one.

Iced_Plasma
Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

So far, we don't know what they will do yet, except for that Classic will be sharing subscription with the current game.

It does make me think that we won't see any physical release for various of reasons, like the current game always offering Classic servers.

One comment from Blizzard on the official forums said that they haven't decided what to do with Collector's Editions and if they are going to put minipets of old days as another reward again.

Personally? Yes, I would buy one. Well, it also depends what comes with it.

Iced_Plasma
Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

You could just make your own Collector's Edition!

I think I'd include:

donator Posts: 2
Mage

What if they do a digital deluxe instead.... I would be gutted.

If they dont release a boxed version ill be upset too :/
Nothing says nostalgia like a Pc game Box that unfolds some gorgeous artwork!

solidlobster
Check out my YT make some guide and mostly live stream! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKPGU8 ... RpA/videos
Alterac Valley
Troll
Priest

Nymis wrote:
5 years ago
You could just make your own Collector's Edition!

I think I'd include:
This is a really cool idea! :cool:

alkemical wrote:
5 years ago

Yeah Digital Deluxe might be a bit underwhelming, what kind of digital rewards do you think it could contain?

"Ya got my attention."

donator Posts: 2
Mage

solidlobster wrote:
alkemical wrote:
5 years ago

Yeah Digital Deluxe might be a bit underwhelming, what kind of digital rewards do you think it could contain?
Tabard maybe?
Murlock baby holding a classic wow flag?
Possibly even access to buy the removed mounts from vanilla

No clue, but no doubt they will do some kind of digital deluxe to get some more pocket change.

And you know the community will not enjoy what is being offered... no matter what it is haha!

Let's just pray its only cosmetic and has 0 effect on the game play!!! :smile:

Check out my YT make some guide and mostly live stream! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKPGU8 ... RpA/videos
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Love your idea @Nymis!

As for mounts/pets etc. that could work well - they already said in a blue post on official forums that any purchaes from retail will not be transferred to Classic after all.

Duskwood
donator Posts: 41

alkemical wrote:
5 years ago
No clue, but no doubt they will do some kind of digital deluxe to get some more pocket change.

And you know the community will not enjoy what is being offered... no matter what it is haha!

Let's just pray its only cosmetic and has 0 effect on the game play!!! :smile:
Moaners gona moan...

...if they ever did include anything that affects gameplay in a CE there would be people on the streets.

Blasted Lands
donator Posts: 32
Horde
Druid

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Themed USB stick with the game files ready to install (better than downloading through bnet client)
No its not. Stop trying to put your needs first.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Sequoioideae wrote:
5 years ago
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Themed USB stick with the game files ready to install (better than downloading through bnet client)
Just saying what I'd like to see pal! Not everyone has amazing internet :smile:

Blasted Lands
donator Posts: 32
Horde
Druid

with 5 MBit/s it would take 2h 40 min to download 6 gb (the 1.12 client has a size of 5 gb, calculating the 1.13 client with a 1gb overhead) given the fact that you will be able to pre download renders your argument invalid. theres no reason (no your internet is not that bad, you just love to brag about it) to force ppl to do a usb-install. this is ridiculous beyod reasoning.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Sequoioideae wrote:
5 years ago
this is ridiculous beyod reasoning.
I think your attitude is a bit ridiculous and funny too. You're mad about me wanting a USB stick in an imaginary collector's edition for a game that doesn't even exist yet, and say I am 'bragging' about how slow my internet is :lol: Sure it's not the greatest idea in the world but chill out dude...

solidlobster
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 18
Paladin

I have a classic DVD of the times of wotlk with the version 1.12.1, I suppose that when installing it I will update to the new launcher of battle.net but I hope I do not have to download much more. Blizzard said something about it?, I wonder, since if Blizzard is supposed to be working on a new client version 7.3.5 maybe we have to install a completely new client much heavier?

I'm with @teebling about the internet, I tend to live between Venezuela and USA, when I'm in Venezuela my internet is a total shit and I would kill for my DVD (in case it works for something) or a USB with the game if I'm here during the launch.

Alterac Valley
Troll
Priest

Sequoioideae wrote:
5 years ago
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
I mean, isn't this like the essence of the "Collectors Edition"? Just kind of unique, interesting items that are not always the most efficient way of distributing that type of media? Would you be annoyed if they sent out an actual physical OST CD case instead of just a download link for it, or the art book? Surely that would be so much easier if it was just a PDF?

teebling
"Ya got my attention."

Warrior Protection
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 18
Horde
Warrior

I would 100% buy collectors edition if they decide to make one.

“Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman

I would 100% buy it, but only if it comes in 5 CDs :D

alkemical
Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest