Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman

I'm a really big fan of professions in the game: I really go out of my way to search for rare recipes/reagents and try to craft all my gear (I usually play mining/bs since I main warrior) and I think they are a great piece of game design in classic WoW. I always found them dumbed down starting from TBC, since you were mainly using only bars and not much else...

Do you usually level up profession alongside your character? Or you boost them up at level 60?

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Darnassus
donator Posts: 24
Night Elf
Druid

I've always enjoyed leveling up professions while leveling my character. Sometimes to the dismay of a friend I'm leveling with because I'll get side tracked and delay us while I'm churning through a bag of cloth, hah. Classic seems to be all about incremental and steady growth, so it just makes sense to me to also include the growth of in-game professions.

My favorite combo is Tailoring and Enchanting, currently planning on rolling a Mage with that profession combination.

fendor
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Oh I'm kind of nuts for professions too. I find deep satisfaction in farming ores, herbs and cloth and then selling on the AH. There's no better site than a bag full of silk cloth.

When Classic comes out I will go out of my way to get Timbermaw Revered for the enchanting recipe so I can make big bucks in the cities by selling it on to twinks. In fact I'm building as a little side project, a sort of list of valuable and in-demand enchantments, crafting materials etc. so that I have something to aim to have in stock for auction house. Plan on making most of my gold by buying up competition and relisting, supported by farming and crafting the most in-demand items.

Oh, remember you can still 'fail' to pick a herb in Classic! That means it might take a while longer. Sparkles aren't there either if I remember correctly so will be harder to spot out of minimap.

Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Tauren
Shaman

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Sparkles aren't there either if I remember correctly so will be harder to spot out of minimap.
Yep, no sparkles for any game object in the world :D It makes many quests harder but "realistic" in my opinion :-)

Quillboar

• Fendor - Tauren Shaman
Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 29
Troll
Hunter

Full time auctioneer here. I know its not a real ‘profession’ but it gives me kicks and gold too.

My strategy is this - everyone is going to be gathering and selling raw mats onto the AH at beginning of Classic. I’m talking lots of copper ore, silver, peacebloom etc. So camp the AH in org, strike deals in trade/barrens chat and build up a big stock of those low level resources.

Sure enough a lot of people will forget about levelling professions when they are 15-20 lvl and will carry on. When they remember ‘oh shit i forgot about engineering!’ and come back to the AH to buy those low level mats again, my overpriced stuff will be there and people will be lazy and buy it, because not many will be supplying those resources (as the first wave have reached higher level already) and I can buy up competiton and control.

hehehe

fendor solidlobster
Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

I love how professions were done in the past, not so much now, since they are almost non-existent except for a chosen few (like Alchemy for elixir buffs.)

Back in the days, I had Enchanting, and Skinning (which later turned to Engineer in Wrath of the Lich King.)

Every profession was needed in their own way. As an Enchanter, I had a disenchanting service, which was around 10 silver per disenchant. It was lucrative, to say the least, but sadly, in Wrath of the Lich King, people were given the convenience to roll for disenchants in dungeons for loot that no one needed, and the service I provided faded out.

I have always been a bit annoyed about that, but it will feel good to go back to the old times again.

The best part about the professions in my opinion, was how they were cross-profession necessary to do certain formulas. To do Icy Chill, you needed your own dust and shards, drops from elementals, and as well as a herb from a Herbalist.

Crusader (my longtime favourite) needed your own shards, and Righteous Orbs that dropped from Stratholme, a dungeon. A good adventure, and a moneymaker even at level 70, farming those orbs.

teebling fendor Finesse solidlobster
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest

I'm most likely gonna roll a Priest and I stil haven't decided on that subject yet. I like to level a profession alongside levelling my character but at the same time I have to take into consideration how much I can benefit from it at given time. Most ideally I would like to go skinning and tailoring till 60. Skinning for profit for mounts etc, Tailoring for Truefaith Vestments. Once I got both of these, I reroll to Alchemy/Hebalism for raiding purposes.

Skinning is very popular for every class while levelling. The profit from it is substantial.

Finesse
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Faendor wrote:
5 years ago
Skinning is very popular for every class while levelling. The profit from it is substantial.
For real it's used in so many professions. There's always a bit of medium leather poking around in engineering and blacksmithing. Also as you level up the resources are right there in front of you - no detours!

Westfall
EU Patchwerk
donator Posts: 38
Alliance
Paladin

Firelord wrote:
5 years ago
Every profession was needed in their own way. As an Enchanter, I had a disenchanting service, which was around 10 silver per disenchant. It was lucrative, to say the least, but sadly, in Wrath of the Lich King, people were given the convenience to roll for disenchants in dungeons for loot that no one needed, and the service I provided faded out.
This, so much this. People aren’t dependent on each other any more. I remember guilds that would recruit basis of profession skill level to boost their self reliance.

I also miss trade chat lighting up with people in need of mage portals, crafting, enchanting etc. It made the world seem so alive.

solidlobster
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest

From my experience there is always a presence of these in trade/world chat (at least on p/servers)

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

I used to do that but I'm never going to attempt to do that with Enchanting ever again.That 225 trainer in Uldaman is terrible to get to, not to mention the fact that you should have a lot of mats farmed beforehand so you won't have to go there again. The low level enchants are very underwhelming. Leveling 270-300 is real pain. The only good profit margins tend to come from rare recipes. Ugh, never again.

As for Tailoring, I can pretty much get all of my BiS items with the exception of the one BoP epic chest with just any Tailor. Once Bloodvine set comes up, it becomes a viable thing to take.

I'll do Mining and Engineering at start for some fun, PVP action. Drop Mining for Tailoring in time to get all my Mooncloth procs.

teebling
donator Posts: 10

As a Warlock player, I'll be going this route: Tailor+Enchant > @60 Enchant+Engineering.

Only reason I won't be dropping Enchant is because I'll be the main Enchanter for my guild. Otherwise, my endgame preference would be Tailor+Engineering for both PvE and PvP min/max.

Discord Admin @ Classic WoW Guilds : https://discordapp.com/invite/HNT7UPq
Duskwood
donator Posts: 41

fendor wrote:
5 years ago
Do you usually level up profession alongside your character? Or you boost them up at level 60?
Actually come to think of it I never really levelled the basics (fishing/cooking/first aid) until I reached max level in WOTLK. This is because it was so easy to self-heal and I never really needed to drink, eat, or bandage.

I think Classic will change this entirely - eating and drinking are v important to levelling speed and will also give me that ‘time out’ that I crave to soak up the game at my own pace.

As for primaries well.. I’d of course love to have fully trained each profession over lots of alts but now I have children so I can’t really dedicate that much time :)

Will probably strike out with a simple combo like BS/LW/TG coupled with Enchanting. Not imaginitive I know but it will do for good loot (like Nymis mentions) and maybe some gold.

Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Tauren
Shaman

Iced_Plasma wrote:
5 years ago
I think Classic will change this entirely - eating and drinking are v important to levelling speed and will also give me that ‘time out’ that I crave to soak up the game at my own pace.
If you are not a healing class, first aid will be mandatory :-) Also cooking is really useful for the food buff you get from it. Fishing is quite slow, but you can make a lot of money just selling the one needed for alchemy (stonescale eel etc.)

Iced_Plasma

• Fendor - Tauren Shaman
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

fendor wrote:
5 years ago
Iced_Plasma wrote:
5 years ago
If you are not a healing class, first aid will be mandatory :-) Also cooking is really useful for the food buff you get from it. Fishing is quite slow, but you can make a lot of money just selling the one needed for alchemy (stonescale eel etc.)
Hey Fend, what kind of fish are the best to catch for other professions? I've heard that https://classic.wowhead.com/item=6522/ are good for later buffs. What is https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13422 used for?

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

@teebling Oily Blackmouth is used in the water based flasks/potion (the standard Vanilla guide quest route takes you through some underwater objectives) and it’s also used for Free Action Potion.

If I had to pick, Engineering is by far the most entertaining for its special use items.

teebling Tol0th
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Tauren
Shaman

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Hey Fend, what kind of fish are the best to catch for other professions? I've heard that https://classic.wowhead.com/item=6522/ are good for later buffs. What is https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13422 used for?
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13422 are mainly used for https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13423, and this is used for https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13455 and, mainly, https://classic.wowhead.com/item=13510

I remember my gf was doing a shitton of money justs fishing the eels and selling them to random raiders in guilds, was very profitable if fishing doesn't bore you too much :-)

teebling Tol0th

• Fendor - Tauren Shaman
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 18
Paladin

How difficult is it to raise professions level only buying the mats in the AH in vanilla? Having two main professions and no secondary, for example "Engineering and Alchemy".

Regularly I only manage to raise a character to the maximum level in all the mmorpgs that I play, psychologically I feel that I am losing my time with the secondary and I give up.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Nostra wrote:
5 years ago
How difficult is it to raise professions level only buying the mats in the AH in vanilla? Having two main professions and no secondary, for example "Engineering and Alchemy".

Regularly I only manage to raise a character to the maximum level in all the mmorpgs that I play, psychologically I feel that I am losing my time with the secondary and I give up.
Hey Nostra,

There are plenty of other avenues to making gold (with which to purchase raw mats off the AH) which don’t involve harvesting such as dungeon farming, auctioneering (buy low sell high), raiding etc.

You may find that this will actually be more time efficient depending on the amount you play! I can’t tell you for sure how efficient it could be but it’s a thought I’ve had from time to time.

I suppose it depends on the state of the market at the time also - for example see QB’s post about low level mat prices dipping once the crowd have passed a level threshold. If you pay attention to these fluctuatios they would benefit your strategy.

Nostra
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 18
Paladin

teebling wrote:
5 years ago

I suppose it depends on the state of the market at the time also - for example see QB’s post about low level mat prices dipping once the crowd have passed a level threshold. If you pay attention to these fluctuatios they would benefit your strategy.
Excellent, thank you very much.

Rogue Assassination
donator Posts: 114
Horde
Warlock

Alchemy, just something about it -- Perhaps the versatility it offers?

Warrior Protection
donator Posts: 80
Horde
Warrior

I need help with my choice of leveling professions, actually!

I have my hunter planned to be herb/alch, sorry 'bout your tracking bro, but I want a decent herb/alcher, if nothing else then for leveling.
The warlock and warrior are a another story. I imagine the warlock starting out with tailoring and mining, and maybe for endgame switch one of those to engineering. The warrior I want to have both blacksmithing and engineering, but what to level with? I imagine mining while leveling; I doubt a warlock can support both blacksmithing and engineering, and while questing you naturally come across a ton of mats it'd be a shame not to pick up.

The advantages of engineering are well known and many, and by goodness I could use the practice in throwing grenades, etc., since I've never really leveled engineering before. And I also can't decide if I should go Goblin or Gnomish...

As for blacksmithing I just really love the class fantasy. Mining the ore, smelting the bars, and making your own dang armour and weapons. Mining/BS was also the combo on my first warrior, so it's quite nostalgic to me. I also want to try to complete the armorsmith quest.
But even with that I'm hesitant, because I'm also greatly conflicted if I want to go Master Axesmith and make my own Arcanite Reaper(!!) (and Nightfall), or if I should go armorsmith and be a boss armorsmith. There's pretty good tanking gear and going armorsmith, too (and I do like creating my own things in game...)

Can you help me? :)

Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

According to a classic poll* BS and LW are the least desirable for many, making it more profitable for those who are willing to take it. Herb/Alch are the highest and therefore the least rewarding but that won't stop me from going it and switching to alch/engi once I have a second character for herbalism.

* https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

SafetyFirst wrote:
5 years ago
According to a classic poll* BS and LW are the least desirable for many, making it more profitable for those who are willing to take it. Herb/Alch are the highest and therefore the least rewarding but that won't stop me from going it and switching to alch/engi once I have a second character for herbalism.

* https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics
Blacksmithing is something I considered picking up, only because I have that dream of gaining a Sulfuras. But since it's such a far away dream, and I have a feeling I won't be able to get it, I think I will stick with Enchanting and Skinning, and later change Skinning to Mining.

Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

Firelord wrote:
5 years ago
Blacksmithing is something I considered picking up, only because I have that dream of gaining a Sulfuras. But since it's such a far away dream, and I have a feeling I won't be able to get it, I think I will stick with Enchanting and Skinning, and later change Skinning to Mining.
My friend and I are attempting this dream, he will be playing a warrior with BS so I'll be transmuting for him and we'll be sharing materials.