Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 60
Horde
Warrior

Firelord wrote:
5 years ago

I'm not Faendor, but I can put my own view, which will probably not be any more agreeable.

One part is of course the preservation of the old days. A museum. Something that shows you "this is how the game was."

Which of course brings the argument that if it didn't exist in Vanilla, it shouldn't be in Classic. Which more or less brings me to my own view of the spirit of Vanilla. Just because you wanted something, it didn't mean you could have it. You were given the tools in this world, and that is what you had to work with. You didn't always have options upon options to turn on other options that were only visible for you.

It's more or less the idea of the game not adjusting itself to you, but you had to adjust yourself to the game. You did your best to survive the world and you didn't need options to look prettier, and neither did you need a list telling you what achievements were, you made your own achievements.

Whether the game will be released in 2019 or not does not matter, just because other games, or that current World of Warcraft has options, it does not mean Classic should have these options. If people can not stand it, or handle it, then perhaps the current game is where they should stay where all these options exist, and those who are up to tackle a world like Classic, can go for it, where the game is not catering to them.
That's fair enough, but the old days would be preserved regardless of whether the client side changes are opt in, so it's not too compelling of an argument to me; it mostly seems to side step the question of what's wrong with things that are opt in and that don't change the way the game works/plays:).

As for me I'll be perfectly happy if it comes out as a carbon copy of wow circa 2006, but I'd prefer any reasonable non-gameplay, non-social-dynamic changing changes that can happen that improve the chances of the game being a success both in terms of actual players and in terms of financials for the activision bean counters. My dream at this point is post naxx 40 man content that doesn't replace/invalidate the classic server so if classic can be more popular that is what I'm all for.

Guildlead: Epoch of Thought | Vanilla Thunderfury Warrior | Maintank/Father/Husband/Disabled Vet
Twitter:The_Lne Twitch: The_Lne Bnet: Lne#1326
Guild site: https://www.epochofthought.com/ | Guild Discord:https://discord.gg/UqAVjJT
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 60
Horde
Warrior

Faendor wrote:
5 years ago
The original idea was to bring vanilla experience, not vanilla +. This game was meant to be for the people who want to experience original wow. Now they want to bring to Classic even people from retail. These are totally different games with different audiences and they should not get mixed up together
(I dont mean that retail people shouldn't be encouraged to play Classic, quite the opposite rly, but at the same time you should not confuse those two titles). Once you allow Blizzard / Activision to add whatever they want, it will become a slippery slope to other deviations. Achievements are just a filler that brings nothing to the quality of gameplay. Even if you could personally turn it off, it would still be in there. I don't know man but I feel like I hate any Blizzard addition because of their aproach and philosophy behind it. Blizzard is NOT the company it used to be when they shipped original wow and people should realize that by now.
Slippery slopes is the logical fallacy most bandied about when there is no other logical basis for an opinion. It's not a good reason to form an opinion, though you frame it in about the most compelling way I've seen it framed on this subject.

That said, nothing will encourage or stop blizzard from adding crap/filler to classic if they want to so the slippery slope argument isn't a good reason to oppose this beyond opposing blizzard changing the game into the crap that retail is.

I realize blizzard is nothing like the company it used to be; however, I think that we as fans of classic need to encourage blizzard to give us our cake (classic wow) will somehow allowing blizzard to eat their cake too (some how monetize/make classic an attractive line item on a stock valuation).

Either way, I'm with you in hating blizzard's choices/direction in games ever since Diablo 3 came out.

Guildlead: Epoch of Thought | Vanilla Thunderfury Warrior | Maintank/Father/Husband/Disabled Vet
Twitter:The_Lne Twitch: The_Lne Bnet: Lne#1326
Guild site: https://www.epochofthought.com/ | Guild Discord:https://discord.gg/UqAVjJT
Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

Too slippery of a slope to start changing things (and this is a perfectly reasonable opinion as we’ve all seen what WoW has become..). As close to Vanilla as possible is my ideal server, if you have a problem with something you adjust not just change everything. The annoyances, long draw outleveling, and lack of all the extras is part of the mystique for me. Everyone has a different opinion to be fair but the whole point of them making Classic was to replicate not replace.

Ravenheart Faendor