Duskwood
donator Posts: 41

Anyone else looking forward to non-mega-inflated gold values? I recall copper and silver being treasured alike in the search for gold originally.

Teldrassil
donator Posts: 62
Horde
Hunter

Not looking forward to the grind to get epic mount if thats what ur asking lol

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 36
Alliance

I made a lot of gold in vanilla from professions - that extra sort of commission you'd charge from people was a great source of income if you had the recipes people wanted. The value of gold at the time made it a great incentive to keep on advertising my services and interacting with other players.

Westfall
EU Patchwerk
donator Posts: 38
Alliance
Paladin

It's weird right? Although I'm sure the purchasing power of gold has increased little since vanilla, the fact that it is in such greater quantities makes it feel less.. I dno, valuable.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 4
Alliance

Roll mage and request tips for portals like the old days = free epix

Teldrassil
Horde
Hunter

Positron wrote:
6 years ago
What was the going rate for a mage portal in vanilla? I remember in WOTLK they were asking for 5-10g.

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

Gold was certainly in a more 'stable' number back in Classic. Even at level 60 when you had the world open for you, you still had plenty of gold to spend that kept the economy in check.

Of course, auction house barons will always exist, and will always make a huge amount of gold, but the the average player will always have a stable amount of gold.

The game today certainly has the gold inflated to a ridiculous level, with the income being greater than what you can spend it on. The only gold sink are vanity items like mounts and toys or rare, rare items from the Black Market auction house.

Other than that, gold really has no use for anything else in the current game.

The Barrens
donator Posts: 16
Horde

I wander whether they will implement dynamic spawning and how this might affect farming and therefore AH prices?

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
Horde

forthehorde wrote:
6 years ago
I wander whether they will implement dynamic spawning and how this might affect farming and therefore AH prices?
People have been discussing this for a while I think. I'm unsure with my own opinion on this. If dynamic spawning is ever implemented, then it will most likely be at the start of it all, because people would swarm the areas and gaining quest objects from kills will take the longest time. But after the initial storm? I do not think it should remain, they should go back to as close to as it was back then.

Teldrassil
Horde
Hunter

forthehorde wrote:
6 years ago
Having a slightly pumped market is forgivable if it means we can quest without having to compete ferociously over things like fucking http://www.wowhead.com/item=5086/zhevra-hooves

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
Horde

Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago
Having a slightly pumped market is forgivable if it means we can quest without having to compete ferociously over things like fucking http://www.wowhead.com/item=5086/zhevra-hooves
I don’t disagree on this. However, I would like for spawn rates to go back down as close as it originally was.

Duskwood
donator Posts: 11
Alliance

They're really going to have to maintain gold sinks like the earlier mount costs and respec prices to keep gold inflation from getting out of control. It's the biggest downside of playing on private servers. It's just way too easy to make too much money. Looking forward to gold being a real hot commodity and having to work for it.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Welcome Jynirax!
Out of interest is the inflation bad on private servers and do you think the same could happen in Classic?
I also hope gold retains its value.

Duskwood
donator Posts: 11
Alliance

Running 1.12 means that the mount costs have been changed so that the talent is the real expense and the mounts now cost 9g a piece. Originally until a much later patch in vanilla the riding talent is cheap and individual mounts cost upwards of 90g. I realize that the later system is more collector friendly but deep gold sinks like that stop the market from becoming saturated. Another thing that removes serious gold sinks from the game is many private servers having a greatly reduced respec cost from what I believe originally was 50g per at max.

One of the other bigger problems on private servers aside from those two issues that contributes to massive gold inflation is improper loot tables. Instances on certain private servers will always have 100% of the chests that can possibly spawn in a dungeon spawn 100% of the time. This was not the case in vanilla. Originally when I played on Kronos and Kronos 2 (No idea if its still the same) the drop rate on blues was outrageous and I was getting BOE blue world drops with questionable regularity. Improper loot distribution is a huge factor in decreased the wide scale difficulty of the game and I hope it isn't a problem come Classic.

I believe (no evidence just optimism) they're going to release something that feels like a 1:1 near perfect version of Vanilla. As such I think the problems with gold sinks and improper loot distribution will no longer be a problem like they are on the private scene. There are also cases of certain shadier private servers that have been caught with GM's generating and selling gold to the player base. These things fortunately shouldn't be a problem come Classic if everything is done properly.

teebling Positron Quillboar
Hunter Marksman
donator Posts: 90
Dwarf
Hunter

It's much more enjoyable having to work harder and save money than it is having way too much money all the time.

Awaiting Classic WoW

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 18
Paladin

Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago
Positron wrote:
6 years ago
What was the going rate for a mage portal in vanilla? I remember in WOTLK they were asking for 5-10g.
15-20s was quite a sizeable amount in vanilla for a portal.

I remember that in the old days people were bugging me all the fucking time so I wouldn't open a portal for less than 30s to strangers.

When people were really annoying:

teebling Quillboar
Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago
Positron wrote:
6 years ago
1g a pop on Northdale

Ravenheart