Teldrassil
donator Posts: 62
Horde
Hunter

Do you think WoW: Classic will allow us to customise our interface like in the current version?

Was this even possible back in vanilla days?

Stormwind
donator Posts: 28
Alliance

I’ll keep the UI vanilla even if the choice was given. It’s a good UI! Wander if they will also bring in modern default stuff like raid frames...

Stonetalon Mountains
EU Lucifron
donator Posts: 23
Alliance

Why even use custom UI stuff nowadays it uses up so many resources and is a bitch to reconfigure every time they patch

BlackSpid
donator Posts:

Tol0th wrote:
6 years ago
Why even use custom UI stuff nowadays it uses up so many resources and is a bitch to reconfigure every time they patch
Clearly you never raided back in van... DKP, healbot, dmg meters you need all this to run content.

On the flipside questing etc is fine with the default UI. I do remember it often being lengthy actually finding the mobs I needed to kill or the places I needed to go to. That blue zone thing there is nowadays is super useful. I wander if it will be implememented - although it took longer to locate areas from the quest text it also meant you took more time to appreciate the map and explore a bit!

I guess if that’s the case everyone will just get TomTom nav and get coords off the internet :)

The Barrens
donator Posts: 40

BlackSpid wrote:
6 years ago
I wander if it will be implememented - although it took longer to locate areas from the quest text it also meant you took more time to appreciate the map and explore a bit!
Yeah you didn't need the blue stuff to find Zhevra hooves at least :P

Honestly though this is why I think the game in it's first instance was so great. You really got to know the world around you intimately as opposed to just rushing from place to place.

Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 29
Troll
Hunter

Yeah addons were around at the time but not mad shit like this:

The Barrens
donator Posts: 16
Horde

Quillboar wrote:
6 years ago
Yeah addons were around at the time but not mad shit like this:

What the shit is that :lol:

Teldrassil
Horde
Hunter

Alright so from what I’ve gathered it was possible to add UI mods in vanilla, but like in no way as sophisticated as you can nowadays.

Do you reckon they will allow full LUA support, libraries etc? Was this the case back then?

donator Posts:

I did not full UI overhaul in Vanilla, but do remember running addons (nostalgia incoming); Questhelper, AtlasLoot, Bagnon, Cartographer etc.

Pretty sure the user experience development has eliminated the need for such things in more recent years, now excited about turning back time (?)

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 4
Alliance

Oops last post went through as guest, hello.

The Barrens
Horde

Positron wrote:
6 years ago
Oops last post went through as guest, hello.
Welcome! :smile:

I used TomTom as well before the blue goo on minimap

Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 29
Troll
Hunter

TheZhevra wrote:
6 years ago
BlackSpid wrote:
6 years ago
I wander if it will be implememented - although it took longer to locate areas from the quest text it also meant you took more time to appreciate the map and explore a bit!
Yeah you didn't need the blue stuff to find Zhevra hooves at least :P

Honestly though this is why I think the game in it's first instance was so great. You really got to know the world around you intimately as opposed to just rushing from place to place.
Have to agree here. I found this far more immersive than click quest > click accept without reading > rush to the blue stuff > click all the things > return afap.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 36
Alliance

I wonder how today's addon developers are preparing for Classic. Will they be reverting to code they used in vanilla or having to completely rewrite for a new library?

The Barrens
donator Posts: 40

Doomsnout wrote:
6 years ago
I wonder how today's addon developers are preparing for Classic. Will they be reverting to code they used in vanilla or having to completely rewrite for a new library?
Well they've barely started hiring the developers of the game, let alone started thinking about third party UI cusotmisation :neutral:

Duskwood
donator Posts: 41

TheZhevra wrote:
6 years ago
Doomsnout wrote:
6 years ago
Well they've barely started hiring the developers of the game, let alone started thinking about third party UI cusotmisation :neutral:
Well that's not to say the addon developers themselves haven't thought about it already. I guess it depends on how blizz are rebuilding the game - from the bottom up using new architecture or going back to the old code.

Teldrassil
Horde
Hunter

Iced_Plasma wrote:
6 years ago
TheZhevra wrote:
6 years ago
Doomsnout wrote:
6 years ago
Well that's not to say the addon developers themselves haven't thought about it already. I guess it depends on how blizz are rebuilding the game - from the bottom up using new architecture or going back to the old code.
I'm thinking they'll build it on the new software. I mean going back to what they had up in 2004 is probably impossible to run on the hardware they are using today and would slow down the development time immensely.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

[mention]Ravenheart[/mention] if you look back at the interview with Brack it would suggest the opposite, that in fact they are going to use old architecture:

Newman: So talk about, then, the process that you guys are having to go through for actually making that happen. You’re essentially resurrecting dead tech and dead data.

Brack: Yep.
Who knows this early anyway :)

The Barrens
Horde

Tol0th wrote:
6 years ago
It's really not hard to keep things up to date with things like Twitch client etc. although you do have to wait for the developer to fix things...

Regardless I think I'll try to stick to the default UI as much as possible to try and recapture my first experiences

Ashenvale
US Incendius
donator Posts: 2
Alliance

Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago
Do you think WoW: Classic will allow us to customise our interface like in the current version?

I think Classic will run on modern Lua API, modern client, and modern server infrastructure. I don't think they are running anything on old shit, that's why it's gonna take a good amount of time to finish the proyect, they are basically reimplementing Vanilla on a Legion client/server.

Ashenvale
US Incendius
donator Posts: 2
Alliance

teebling wrote:
6 years ago
@Ravenheart if you look back at the interview with Brack it would suggest the opposite, that in fact they are going to use old architecture:
Newman: So talk about, then, the process that you guys are having to go through for actually making that happen. You’re essentially resurrecting dead tech and dead data.

Brack: Yep.
Who knows this early anyway :)
Makes no sense. The modern client (and server) infrastructure has 13 years of improvements all around which makes the development much easier, faster and more secure than the old primitive client/server from 2004-2005. So, starting the development of Classic from the old infrastructure instead of the new one makes no sense at all, that's why they said that they have the old infrastructure up running FOR REFERENCE, I think that's because they are implementing Vanilla inside the modern Legion client and server infrastructure.

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

I will personally go with the original UI. I find nothing bad about it, even though I have had my moments of customizing it a lot in the past. The UI works wonders and looks good too, in my opinion. While I am a minimalist in many ways, and I do like the slick appearances these custom made UI's look like today, I think they are too slick, and too minimal.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Spyro wrote:
6 years ago
Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago

I think Classic will run on modern Lua API, modern client, and modern server infrastructure. I don't think they are running anything on old shit, that's why it's gonna take a good amount of time to finish the proyect, they are basically reimplementing Vanilla on a Legion client/server.
Yeah fair enough I take back what I interpreted from the interview - I mean this would be the most sensible way to go about it development-wise after all. Easier to maintain, far more stable and the possibility of building on it further in the future with the likes of a TBC legacy server if there is enough clamour for it :smile:

Firelord wrote:
6 years ago
I will personally go with the original UI. I find nothing bad about it, even though I have had my moments of customizing it a lot in the past. The UI works wonders and looks good too, in my opinion. While I am a minimalist in many ways, and I do like the slick appearances these custom made UI's look like today, I think they are too slick, and too minimal.
Yea there's definitely something to be said about the very slightly rugged look of the default UI. It seems more authentic as opposed to something modern which is sleeked out and minimalist to the max - perhaps modern UIs even clash with the art direction of the game.

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

teebling wrote:
6 years ago
Yea there's definitely something to be said about the very slightly rugged look of the default UI. It seems more authentic as opposed to something modern which is sleeked out and minimalist to the max - perhaps modern UIs even clash with the art direction of the game.
I think it's a very robust and good looking UI. While it is indeed from an older era, it was certainly ahead of its time, so I believe at least. I'm quite fond of set UI's, like if I have to grab an exampale, I think Guild Wars 2 has an exceptional good looking UI, art style and whatnot, even if you cannot customise it.

Thunder Bluff
donator Posts: 8
Alliance

hey everyone :) im new

to answer OPs question yes UI customisation was around in vanilla - the addons weren't as complex as they are nowadays, but they were still v popular especially for raiders and the like.

Teldrassil
Horde
Hunter

Spyro wrote:
6 years ago
Ravenheart wrote:
6 years ago

This is fab news if true. I just hope they dont get rid of some of the lets say... unintended mechanics that came with vanilla like walljumping and clipping through walls etc when they implement it on new software

[mention]omniGG[/mention] ahhh fresh meat :razz: welcome to the shittest forum in the world friend