Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Was playing around with hunter talents for a fun (maybe not the best) Anti melee PvP spec.

This focuses a little less on dmg but more escapes from Melees using the Survival talent tree.

In this build I have Scatter Shot, Entrapment, Deterrence, Surefooted and Counter attack and Imp Wing Clip.

On top of that, combined skills will give me 11% extra crit in PvP Scenarios if Humanoid Slaying talent counts towards enemy players.

Pros: A lot of Immobilizing enemies
Cons: Losing out on flat 5% dmg + Trueshot aura and if enemy uses free action potion this spec offers nothing really.

What are your thoughts? (Lightning reflexes will scale better at later phases,so maybe that can be swapped for more health, or flat dmg boost or Clever traps for longer traps.)

I also know that everything in Classic has already been tested pretty much, this might not be a new build or there is one slightly better optimized but I also think that play style makes a big difference of what spec one should use

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... 5021030312

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Most Hunter vs X fights results in the opposing class taking advantage of the hunter's deadzone, so a hunter gets relegated to use melee spells quite quickly. The build you linked falls more on the supportive/skill side, which sees some relevancy in organised pvp groups but falls when paired with a random chaotic BG pug. What type of PvP are you looking to do?

Image    Image    Image
Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
What type of PvP are you looking to do?
I just had 1v1s in WPvP in mind, or 1v1s over all

Ten Storms EU Alliance
Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Get Clever Traps as well. Having Frost Traps (yes I mean the AoE slowing one) last 30% longer is pretty huge and the 30% damage increase on Immolation Trap makes it really strong. Seriously, try Immolation Trap on Rogues and Warriors and surprise them with the damage you put out :D
Also I would always take Savage Strikes. Raptor Strike crits with a 2 hander hit really hard, especially on Rogues. Melee want to abuse your deadzone but they never stop to think that a Hunter that's properly specced for it can actually do some pretty sick damage up close as well. If they get in your deadzone, pop FD + Immolation trap (it can also proc Entrapment! :D), Raptor Strike, spam Wingclip for procs and Counterattack if it procs. Move out for a quick Multishot + Arcane Shot once one of your Immobilize effects proc and go from there. That combo hurts so much. Check out this video for melee style Hunter PvP:
Don't focus too much on getting the Immobilize procs off, focus on pumping out as much damage as you can and view the Immobilizations as a nice chance to get off a Multishot and Arcane Shot. And learn to abuse Immolation + Frost Trap. Freezing Trap is so overrated. I only use it when I really need to bandage or when fighting Mages/Hunters.

Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

morbidmike wrote:
4 years ago

Don't focus too much on getting the Immobilize procs off, focus on pumping out as much damage as you can and view the Immobilizations as a nice chance to get off a Multishot and Arcane Shot. And learn to abuse Immolation + Frost Trap. Freezing Trap is so overrated. I only use it when I really need to bandage or when fighting Mages/Hunters.
Yeah the spec I posted I had in mind to get away from them as fast as possible. But instead maybe focusing on a melee spec to hurt them once they abuse my deadzone.

Ten Storms EU Alliance
Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

morbidmike wrote:
4 years ago
Check out this video for melee style Hunter PvP
Yeah Corrosity is a good example of pvp melee hunter. I've always wondered how the perspective alteration thing works along side VR, must be so cool :)

Image    Image    Image
Hunter Marksman
EU Zandalar Tribe
donator Posts: 83
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I notice you take Barrage, yet only have 2/5 in Lightning Reflexes. Wouldn't it be better overall getting the 9% more agility across the board instead of the 15% increase in damage on one spell in your kit? I'm not up to speed on the maths behind it, but increased agility seems to be better, considering it's your main stat and benefits you in so many ways.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pluuf wrote:
4 years ago
I notice you take Barrage, yet only have 2/5 in Lightning Reflexes. Wouldn't it be better overall getting the 9% more agility across the board instead of the 15% increase in damage on one spell in your kit? I'm not up to speed on the maths behind it, but increased agility seems to be better, considering it's your main stat and benefits you in so many ways.
No, not really. Pvp is about burst damage. Agi will only give you a hopeful chance to crit, basically you're playing with odds instead of an assure damage increase through Barrage. Also, remember Hunters need a lot of agi to reach 1% crit, you would most likely only start noticing a boost of damage through crit around P6. Rapid Fire can however help with the lack of agi in the early game but that is very inconsistent to rely upon.

Image    Image    Image
Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Erik wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah the spec I posted I had in mind to get away from them as fast as possible. But instead maybe focusing on a melee spec to hurt them once they abuse my deadzone.
Exactly. Rogues and Warriors are always like "just get in their deadzone". But when "just getting in your deadzone" means eating a 900 damage Immolation Trap (max rank talented) and the potential for a 700-900 Raptor Strike crit (which is not rare! I'm sitting at 40% crit chance for Raptor Strike :D) it should make them think twice. Best part is Clever Traps also helps combat the Scatter/Freezing Trap DR problem and Savage Strikes really helps against casters trying to stick to your melee range. I've seen my Raptor Strikes crit over 1k on Mages. Lol :D

Erik