US Incendius
donator Posts: 10
Alliance
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey everyone. I'm trying to make something so I can find out the range to a target better than just the spells I have.

Are there any items/objects that you know of that might have a range of 10 (less than or greater than) or 40 (also less than or greater than)?

Thank you! :biggrin:

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'm sure there is an addon that would give you the range of your target.

Rangedisplay
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/range-display

"Currently you can set up RangeDisplay to show your current range to your target, focus, pet and mouseover units. The mouseover unit range can be anchored to the mouse or placed at a fixed position. "

I havent tried this, nor can I confirm that it works. But a quick search should land you with a functioning addon.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
US Incendius
Alliance
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

Rangedisplay
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/range-display

"Currently you can set up RangeDisplay to show your current range to your target, focus, pet and mouseover units. The mouseover unit range can be anchored to the mouse or placed at a fixed position. "

I havent tried this, nor can I confirm that it works. But a quick search should land you with a functioning addon.
It looks like a useful addon but the only way to check if you're at a certain range is by checking your own spells and abilities, it can't magically know distance otherwise (if it doesn't have the spell or ability)

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Papasmurf84 wrote:
4 years ago
It looks like a useful addon but the only way to check if you're at a certain range is by checking your own spells and abilities, it can't magically know distance otherwise (if it doesn't have the spell or ability)
Yeah, as far as I understand there is no API call to return the distance of targets. These addons all reference spells and items that you have which have range restrictions, which it then uses to guess range. The more items and abilities you have with different range restrictions would allow you to improve the resolution of the guess.

I have no idea about the specific items with these ranges. Curious though, what are you going to use this for? Are you looking to write your own addon or something like a weakaura?

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Papasmurf84 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm super bad with addons etc, and am one of the worst people to ask but I feel like this is possible. I mean, look at the spy addon. It immediately pops with the enemy players name AND their lat/long coordinates. Clearly positioning is being tracked. Am I way off base here???

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 231
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Papasmurf84 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm super bad with addons etc, and am one of the worst people to ask but I feel like this is possible. I mean, look at the spy addon. It immediately pops with the enemy players name AND their lat/long coordinates. Clearly positioning is being tracked. Am I way off base here???
That addon checks the combat log for actions by nearby players if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think you appear on the list if you're just stood still and haven't done anything.

But also could be wrong.

US Incendius
Alliance
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Are you looking to write your own addon or something like a weakaura?
I'm not good enough to write an addon, I just want to make a WeakAura. Main reason is Howl of Terror has a 10 yard range so it would be cool to know if someone is in that range
Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
spy addon. It immediately pops with the enemy players name AND their lat/long coordinates. Clearly positioning is being tracked. Am I way off base here???
I think it does this by triangulating results from different people, like if one person sees someone in their combat log, and another person does also it can do some math to take a guess where they are. The addon talks to the other people using it and combines everyone's findings