Hunter Marksman
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 19
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I have been thinking of rolling a Shadow Priest but I've heard they aren't good. I think I'm still going to roll it regardless but does it get better throughout classic or does it get worse? I'm asking for PvE and PvP.

Where is my level 60 boost?
ImageImage
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Krispyish wrote:
4 years ago
I have been thinking of rolling a Shadow Priest but I've heard they aren't good. I think I'm still going to roll it regardless but does it get better throughout classic or does it get worse? I'm asking for PvE and PvP.
Shadow priests are perfectly good. You'll have a blast in both PvE and PvP. Just follow a guide and your set!

P.S. Who told you Shadow Priest are not good?

Krispyish
Image    Image    Image
Hunter Marksman
US Kirtonos
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
Krispyish wrote:
4 years ago
Shadow priests are perfectly good. You'll have a blast in both PvE and PvP. Just follow a guide and your set!

P.S. Who told you Shadow Priest are not good?
Many YouTube videos talk about how their damage is mediocre and run oom instantly. I also heard people don't bring shadow priests to raids which obviously I want to do them. I'm ok with not being the biggest DPS in the raid but I don't want to be unviable later down the line. I feel like I heard someone say that shadow priests don't get much gear later on down the expac.

ImageImage
Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Krispyish wrote:
4 years ago
Many YouTube videos talk about how their damage is mediocre and run oom instantly. I also heard people don't bring shadow priests to raids which obviously I want to do them. I'm ok with not being the biggest DPS in the raid but I don't want to be unviable later down the line.
Those videos are statistically/factually wrong and most likely from people who have never played WoW.
If you put in the effort, you should never go oom (extremely rare).
Similarly, your dps is also effort-based.
I've never heard of people shooing away a shadow priest from entering a raid, that's really surprising.
Shadow priests are viable throughout the entire game.

Krispyish Goel Perdition
Image    Image    Image
Hunter Marksman
US Kirtonos
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago

Those videos are statistically/factually wrong and most likely from people who have never played WoW.
If you put in the effort, you should never go oom (extremely rare).
I've never heard of people shooing away a shadow priest from entering a raid, that's really surprising.
Shadow priests are viable throughout the entire game.
Thank you so much! I was really scared of rolling a Shadow Priest due to everything I've heard. This has made my class decision a million times easier.

ImageImage
Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Shadow Priests are absolute beasts in WPvP, they are not the most viable for raids but down the line they are perfectly fine

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Erik wrote:
4 years ago
they are not the most viable for raids but down the line they are perfectly fine
Moonkins and SPriests are viable in classic because the boss fights are only lasting about 1min. It's insane.

Krispyish
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Spriests are a meme. They are fun in 1v1 duels or small scale world PvP, but they are awful in large team fights or extended fights like BG's because they simply oom too quickly. Guilds will typically bring one for their debuff, but they arent optimal and no one wants to watch gear get dumped on an spriest and wasted.

That being said, I mained an spriest in retail vanilla and made it to rank 13. I loved the class/spec, but didnt really understand how awful it was overall until years later when I gained a lot of experience playing other classes on private and developed a really strong understanding of similar classes and was able to have an educated and objective view on shadow priests in contrast.

As vanilla continues they will generally become weaker in solo fights as abilities like fear cost spriests a base mana cost, meaning that regardless of their gear, they always tend to have mana issues. At the same time, most other classes continue to get stronger and stronger. Though spriests do perform differently depending on the situation...

PvP
Solo/Duel: Strong
Large scale raid: Poor
Organized BG's: Poor (relative to other specs/classes available)

PvE
Leveling: Fair
Dungeons: Poor/Fair (No CC, poor mana efficiency - spriests slow a group down overall and are easily replaced with a warlock or mage)
Raids: Poor (only 1 is taken for a debuff and this debuff can be obtained with a hybrid build)

Overall the spec performs poorly. For meaningful content (from my perspective) in both large scale PvP and organized PvP, the spec is weak and in raiding content it is also weak. This means that for someone like me that spends the majority of my time participating in meaningful content, the spec is weak and wouldnt suit me. However if your endgame is dueling, this spec could be awesome. If you are someone who likes to ride around and pick herbs all day and wants a solid shot at beating the competition when you arrive at the same active node, this spec would be awesome! It just depends on what you want to do.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could copy and paste the announcement from a raid leader in my guild who was reluctantly allowing a single priest to go shadow in order to gain shadow weaving to allow the warlocks to do more DPS. It's gone from the discord server now, so I'll type a select highlight from memory

"Good luck to whoever wins the honor of being allowed to run this disgusting meme spec. I will be deeply dissapointed in whoever wins."

:lol:

Stfuppercut Selexin
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
"Good luck to whoever wins the honor of being allowed to run this disgusting meme spec. I will be deeply dissapointed in whoever wins."
Wait... @Stfuppercut is your GM?!? :wink:

Stfuppercut
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could copy and paste the announcement from a raid leader in my guild who was reluctantly allowing a single priest to go shadow in order to gain shadow weaving to allow the warlocks to do more DPS. It's gone from the discord server now, so I'll type a select highlight from memory

Other than hardcore progression or world firsts, I truly never understood why there's this class prejudice in WoW.

Goel
Image    Image    Image
Hunter Marksman
US Kirtonos
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

At least ill be unique. if i have to be more of a support role to play the spec i like then so be it.

ImageImage
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Play what you want. Priests are needed all over the place. I never cared what my group compositions were when I was levelling, and I got plenty of hunters, rogues, and even a shadow priest on my friends list from levelling who I brought to dungeons. Just be aware that you might have to respec when you approach level 60 if you want to find a raiding spot. There are a lot more opportunities for priests to heal than DPS on raid teams.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
4 years ago
Wait... @Stfuppercut is your GM?!? :wink:
Hey I'm not naming names here :lol:

Selexin