Priest Discipline
donator Posts: 34
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Come Tuesday, every player on the server is going to try and gather Honor Kills, in particular so they can reach Rank 3 and buy an epic mount with a 10% discount.
What do you think the best place will be to participate in World PvP and rack up some kills?

Some ideas:

* Major cities (with a raid)
* Blackrock Mountain (intercept dungeon groups)
* Gurubashi Arena
* Questing zones (easy kills on level 50+ players)
* Farming spots

Paladin Holy
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 109
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Well I think most of the people who are gonna be hardcore farming honor, will have had their epic mounts for a while now. Tho rank 3 is definitely something that a lot of people would like.

Your list is solid, but i would add:

• Mass battles in Hillsbrad Foothills
  • Boat camping (Booty Bay and maybe even more so the Theramore connection)
  • Any un- or semi-unprotected flight masters
  • World Bosses

- Xcellers
|Paladin|Firemaw EU-PVP|
Mk. Ultra - Comprehensive Guild Management Spreadsheet
A comprehensive tool for guild managers maintaining rosters & loot distribution in LC based guilds

Vault of the Silverhands, A Gear Primer for Holy Paladins
A progressive and customisable item, enchant and buff overview for Holy Paladins

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Xcellers wrote:
4 years ago
Mass battles in Hillsbrad Foothills
Most likely the best candidate.

Image    Image    Image
Priest Discipline
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Why Hillsbrad specifically? It's been quite empty the last few times I was there, I only use the TM flight path to visit Scholo.

Druid Feral
US Incendius
donator Posts: 163
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
Why Hillsbrad specifically? It's been quite empty the last few times I was there, I only use the TM flight path to visit Scholo.
I think there are a couple reasons for this.

1) The nostalgia factor. Hillsbrad was a huge hub for world pvp back in the day.

2) Baiting. Since it's a questing zone it might be an easy way to pick on some lower level people and hopefully have them either log on their mains or call for other 60s to come help.

There are probably more reasons, but these are the best I can think of.

ClassicRaids
Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 41
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Just remind that getting dishonorable kills (which means that someone in your party kills a grey player OR FACTION NPC) will give a quite significative honor contribution loss. This, I think, makes city raid not optimal farm honor. Honestly I would make a group of 5 and wander felwood/winter spring. There you will find more solo farming players to stomp. Not a honourable things to do, but incidentally good way to gain honor.

Priest Discipline
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think killing players never results in DHKs, but you're right I think raiding cities is possibly a bad idea for Honor farming... which is kind of strange actually. It's much more honorable to raid Stormwind than it is to prey on leveling players. I think we'll probably end up fighting people at BR because that's where the high level players go.

Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Nobody will step into cities because of DHKs. Maybe some bored rogues but enemies can unflag so it's not worth.

Ganking raids while in a raid will likely yield shit honor. Meta will probably be 3-5 man gank squads.

Desolace
donator Posts: 52
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
so they can reach Rank 3 and buy an epic mount with a 10% discount.
When I dinged lvl 60 I had friendly or honored (whichever provides the 10% discount) with my own faction for a long time by then, so am I missing something here or I did something exceptionally right?

A bat in the hand is worth two in the belfry.
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
I think killing players never results in DHKs,
I was so sure that low level players would give you DHK, but cannot find any evidence.. means I must be wrong!
To be honest, it would make more sense the other way around :P

What I would do is setup a squad with 100% mounts and travel most farmed places in Felwood / Winterspring, without stopping in a place in particular. Satyrs, Plague Horrors and Furbolgs in Felwood, fly to winterspring, kill people outside town, check all furbolg towns while going back to felwood, or something like that.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
* Gurubashi Arena
* Farming spots
Major cities wont be a thing because many people are unflagged and DK's.
BRM will be a good spot because its high traffic BUT, there are better spots that have less 60's. The goal is honor per hour, not fair fights where you can be outnumbered.
Gurubashi is ehhh...
Questing zones/farming spots - ding ding ding ding! This will be the meta.
jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
The idea was that it was an equal battle ground. SS and TM offered the perfect distance for graveyards. Two teams could beat the hell out of eachother for hours. This is an archaic idea and will only be replicated by the casual audience/roleplayers. You can only kill the same player a few times before they stop yielding honor and you cant control a mass fight. Players may stop by if a big fight is going on, but they wont sit there and farm due to contribution points. When a player is killed the contribution points (value of the kill) is split between everyone who participated in the kill. More people = less contribution points ESPECIALLY when you are carrying 50-75% of the group who are just passively standing around and rolling hots or buffing to keep themselves earning CP.

Consider the 40 man raid that waits 20-30 mins to gank another 40 man raid and due to CP, its as if everyone on the team only earned the equivalent of 1 kill each because those 40 kills worth of CP are equally distributed between the participants. Worse yet, there wont be equal participation. So the mages, who hit everything, will yield far higher CP on average than a rogue. Raid vs Raid is not good for consistent honor farming and is a low tier strategy UNLESS you can win trade with a massive group of people. But remember, you are fighting for a bracket placemement. So the more people on your faction to participate in such a farm, just inflates your own competition for bracket placements. The honor grind is NOT about you VS the enemy faction, it is about you and your team VS your own faction.
Nymis wrote:
4 years ago
Meta will probably be 3-5 man gank squads.
This will most likely be the case with few exceptions. We may see the king of thunderbluff kited down the hill and killed by teams. We will see 3-5 man gank squads farming unguarded areas like flight paths. These teams will move around the world targeting level 48-59 players.

At first there will not be a meta. The first two weeks will be chaos. The casual audience will get tuckered out and stop trying. You will be left with deathsquads farming the highest honor per hour they can find. Classic could shock us, but I would bet that the small deathball strategy will work best and will be used to steamroll lowbies that give honor.

You want to find poorly guarded areas that are also high traffic. Preferably questing hubs and preferably that wont have many 60's AND, when 60's inevitably come, you want them to have a decent travel distance so you want this place to be relatively isolated from main areas so that their response time is awful. A great place that comes to mind is marshall's refuge in Ungoro. No guards, high traffic quest hub for level 50's and a decent distance to any other major city or area. This means a death squad can easily farm ungoro for 30mins-1hour safely before a resistance begins to form and then quickly move over to the south corner of tanaris for a quick sweep before porting somewhere else. I think mages will be important for the honor grind because good teams will want to move regularly. I would be moving every 30 mins - 1 hour. You cant risk a fair fight / getting locked down. It tanks your honor per hour.
Hinien wrote:
4 years ago
What I would do is setup a squad with 100% mounts and travel most farmed places in Felwood / Winterspring, without stopping in a place in particular.
Felwood isnt a bad spot because its very dense and its a funnel. The entire zone is one big tube. You can run right down the center and find any/all lowbies with relative ease. The Alliance flight master in particular is very unguarded.

Winterspring is a bit worse because everlook is well guarded AND the zone is incredibly spread out. It wont be very efficient to farm. I would only use winterspring/azshara as cool-off zones for felwood. If my team stirred up too many people in felwood and they began to group up and had any chance of beating us I would quickly move to a cool-off zone to continue the lowbie farm.

The idea is to continue moving as often as possible. You cant kill the same people too often or they stop rewarding honor. As soon as you lockdown a zone for 1-2 hours (this is often the entirety of a casual users play session) players will choose the path of least resistance and move - so you need to move too. Having a secondary account with a character on the opposite faction to /who 48-50 will give you a good idea of where the lowbies are at any given time so you can track their migration patterns and continue to gank the biggest herd. I would be using this tool AND moving every 30mins-1hour. While in a zone I would be tracking enemy 60's. Who is in the zone, who is new to the zone, etc etc etc... As soon as I see 4-5 showup, I would move.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 165
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

What about Stranglethorn Vietnam?! But I agree most likely its gonna be Hillsbrad.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago
What about Stranglethorn Vietnam?!
Lowbies are too low. They wont yield honor.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Priest Discipline
donator Posts: 7
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
* Gurubashi Arena
* Farming spots
Major cities wont be a thing because many people are unflagged and DK's.
BRM will be a good spot because its high traffic BUT, there are better spots that have less 60's. The goal is honor per hour, not fair fights where you can be outnumbered.
Gurubashi is ehhh...
Questing zones/farming spots - ding ding ding ding! This will be the meta.
[...]
You cant risk a fair fight / getting locked down. It tanks your honor per hour.
[...]
It’s quite ironic that farming honor in WoW is also the least honorable activity one can find in the game.

While I completly understand the min-maxing aspect of it and how ranks work I still find it rather repulsive

Stfuppercut Hinien Ezekeel
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Roffellos wrote:
4 years ago
It’s quite ironic that farming honor in WoW is also the least honorable activity one can find in the game.

While I completly understand the min-maxing aspect of it and how ranks work I still find it rather repulsive
Yep. Its actually hilarious. And unlike some other activities, to adequately do the rank grind, you really do need to min/max because youre simply competing in a bracket against other players. If you want to reach the upper ranks, you need to min/max.

Roffellos
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Blasted Lands
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 201
Human
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Roffellos wrote:
4 years ago

Yep. Its actually hilarious. And unlike some other activities, to adequately do the rank grind, you really do need to min/max because youre simply competing in a bracket against other players. If you want to reach the upper ranks, you need to min/max.
Dinged level 59 yesterday, not looking forward to trying to figure out a way to 60 now…. Even yesterday reaching BRD was impossible due to Horde taking control of BRM for 2 hours.. If that continues throughout phase 2 I will never be able to get my Ony chain done :sad:

EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

ShamelessEU wrote:
4 years ago
Dinged level 59 yesterday, not looking forward to trying to figure out a way to 60 now…. Even yesterday reaching BRD was impossible due to Horde taking control of BRM for 2 hours.. If that continues throughout phase 2 I will never be able to get my Ony chain done :sad:
Your Ony chain? Bleh... Imagine the competition for the crumpled note when BWL releases!

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Moonglade
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 33
Orc
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

One thing is certain, all zones close to BRM is going to be brutal.

You can find me @ www.twitch.tv/fr0sk1
Blasted Lands
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 201
Human
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
ShamelessEU wrote:
4 years ago
Your Ony chain? Bleh... Imagine the competition for the crumpled note when BWL releases!
Can hardly wait.. :sad:

If the queue time is not skyrocketing and forcing me to use my free transfer I am hoping to just dungeon grind the last level… Firemaw EU seems a to be 60/40 horde at the moment which makes questing a pain

EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
Priest Discipline
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

ToriK wrote:
4 years ago
jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
so they can reach Rank 3 and buy an epic mount with a 10% discount.
When I dinged lvl 60 I had friendly or honored (whichever provides the 10% discount) with my own faction for a long time by then, so am I missing something here or I did something exceptionally right?
You can get an additional 10% discount for Rank 3, which means an epic mount only costs 800g!

Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Winterspring is a bit worse because everlook is well guarded AND the zone is incredibly spread out. It wont be very efficient to farm
This is the place I thought of.. not sure it would work but I would not include all winter spring. This include some of the most populated farming spots. And it's practically a straight line.

teebling
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hinien wrote:
4 years ago
This is the place I thought of.. not sure it would work but I would not include all winter spring. This include some of the most populated farming spots. And it's practically a straight line.
Youre including the tunnel between felwood and winterspring which you cant mount through. This path would waste a ton of travel time. Everlook itself is bad. Its walled, there are elite goblin guards, its just bad. The flight paths are outside of town and unguarded but you wont be making enough honor per hour just sitting there waiting for people to land.

Most of the time spent on this circuit would be circulating everlook, which wont be profitable and traveling through a furblog tunnel onfoot.

Selexin Erik
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Most of the time spent on this circuit would be circulating everlook
Uhm, that's not what I had in mind.

Most of the time spent would be in felwood cycling around water elementals, satyrs and deadwood village. When things gets too spicy, you take the flight to everlook, you just check around everlook, you don't stop there. Then you check the Furbolg village near everlook. Then while coming back you check the other 2 furbolg villages along the road killing all the people on the road. It does take some time to travel all the way but you have wait for the felwood places to cool off anyway, and you're bound to find fresh meat.

I may be wrong, but it looks better than sit at Marshal refuge and wait for people to come, then go to south Tanaris wich is much more open than Winterspring main road.

What about team composition?

as you have stated a mage wuold be good for portals. A hunter for eagle eye would also be nice. Anything else?

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hinien wrote:
4 years ago
as you have stated a mage wuold be good for portals. A hunter for eagle eye would also be nice. Anything else?
Honor.Per.Hour. Movement is key. Tracking lowbies is key. I would be using a secondary account to /who level 48-59 players on the horde side to check where most of them are located. Your circuit contains grind spots like water Eles and rep grinds like furblogs. This is where you will find capable and prepared competition. You dont want that. You want to find the weakest targets with the highest yield because this is a marathon. There is no honor in honor gain. There is no skill element in the rank grind. This is about stamina and adaptability, ESPECIALLY in phase 2.

If you kill people who are trying to go to a dungeon or raid, you are an obstacle that they will try to avoid. If you are killing people who are actively at and farming a specific location, you are blockading their grind and they will fight back. They will actively get more people to come and fight you. You do not want this... You want to be an avoidable nuisance. You are trying to pick people off as they pass by but not be so overwhelming and suffocating that you draw attention and have them retaliate. Kill me on my way to strath? Ill just run back to my corpse and try to continuously head to the dungeon while my group is already inside clearing. Kill me while me and a friend are holding down water Ele's? We are accustomed to fighting at this location for limited commodities and will ask for support in the zone and the guild because controlling this area is important for us and for our gold per hour.

I've been testing a few areas on my server (Fairbanks) for the past few days to check traffic. I think I would start in feralas between Dire Maul and Camp mojache which is incredibly high traffic with a lot of questers / poorly geared DM groups. The groups all seem to run in 1 at a time, so its always a 5v1 with few exceptions. Worst case, you hit a few 5v5s, but we opened with CC and won pretty easily. I think this would be a primary kill spot for my team and we would use parts of silithus, ungoro and tanaris as cool off zones. This is also good because these zones are really far from any horde cities so their response time to defend will be trash. When we camped between DM and Camp Mojache over the period of 4 hours we were averaging around 85-100 horde per hour passing through the area in our kill spot, not including some nearby quest locations that we would also circulate.

If we avoid areas like blackrock mountain that wont be worth the trouble, the only area I could find that was this dense was the path between WPL and EPL within the EPL zone. These areas seemed to have a ton of people who were ungrouped or traveling solo, mostly on 60% mounts and included a ton of lowbies who were questing. The most important part to all of this will be using /who on a secondary account so you can predict incoming resistance and track how many lowbies are in specific zones. Imagine your team is getting 100 kills per hour in a very dense area like blackrock mountain and you get wiped and camped for 30mins. You've just ruined your honor per hour.

There is no "best spot". There are good spots, but the key will be for teams to read their environment and track the opposing faction.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago