donator Posts: 42
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

DM's been out for several weeks now... The investments I made before it came out have been really disappointing. Pristine Black Diamonds are worth nothing. Currently at 15g each and slowly dropping. Larval Acid is meh. Black Dragonscales sell for shit.

Maybe it's just on my server? Has anyone made a killing off of mats investments related to Dire Maul?

Shaman Enhancement
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 37
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The reason for this is pretty obvious, you tried to predict the market and everyone else did the same thing and made the same predictions.

Supply massively outweighed demand. I'm glad I held back on stacking up on stuff to resell, you can't assume the market will be the same as it was back in the days of Vanilla, especially with all the information we have now.

I'd be really surprised if anyone made a "killing" off anything stockpiled for the DM release.

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Sikeo wrote:
4 years ago
I'd be really surprised if anyone made a "killing" off anything stockpiled for the DM release.
I actually made some good gold selling my reserves when everyone stockpiled in anticipation of the DM release.

In general people are heavily overrating inflation. It is only a very small portion of players that is able to build a bank, and thats mainly because they are smart with their gold. Most players are still busy spending their gold as fast as they earn it.
Additionally, many ressources are comming in at an accelerated speed.

I am hoarding stranglekeep though.

Priest Discipline
donator Posts: 34
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Which server/faction are you on?

I'm guessing you refer to the paladin mount quest. On my server, the value of Pristine Black Diamonds has been steadily dropping for a month, and it's also at a very low price of 9g apiece for Horde or 16g for Alliance. My best guess: the market is saturated and there are many more black diamonds than there are epic pally mounts.

Paladin Holy
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 109
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Usually I would be very hesitant with these types of investments. As others have said; you will never be a lone with your ideas; this is a very open world when it comes to inflation and deflation and we know the 3rd party impacts in advance. There will likely be a bubble of inflation when things are made available but this might only be a few days or a weeks time. over-extension is easy and it sounds like this was the case here.

- Xcellers
|Paladin|Firemaw EU-PVP|
Mk. Ultra - Comprehensive Guild Management Spreadsheet
A comprehensive tool for guild managers maintaining rosters & loot distribution in LC based guilds

Vault of the Silverhands, A Gear Primer for Holy Paladins
A progressive and customisable item, enchant and buff overview for Holy Paladins

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

jodiug wrote:
4 years ago
Which server/faction are you on?

I'm guessing you refer to the paladin mount quest. On my server, the value of Pristine Black Diamonds has been steadily dropping for a month, and it's also at a very low price of 9g apiece for Horde or 16g for Alliance. My best guess: the market is saturated and there are many more black diamonds than there are epic pally mounts.
Those Pristine Black Diamonds are the only way to get head and leg enchants, you'd think they'd be in super high demand. Maybe it's because I'm on a PvE server, maybe people here are more casual. I dunno.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

You were late to the game. I started buying items related to BWL on week 2. I acknowledged that I wouldnt earn much from the DM phase and was only going to use DM for jump runs. I invested in longterm assets and blended my gold before DM to account for inflation and - inflation happened, if only a little bit. On week 2-3 I began purchasing black lotuses. I have about 55 black lotus and purchased them all for 35g or less over the span of 1.5 months. They currently sell for 55-60g on my server and will continue to increase longterm. I never buy them out, I only bid if they are a bid price of 35g or less. Week 2-3 I started to stack elemental earth, fire, heart of fire and stonescale eel - I was purchasing all of these for 1-15s each. Earth now sell for 1-1.5g, Ele Fire are 2-3g each and Stonescale Eel are around 20s each - heart of fire will come into play later on and I am still stacking them very casually.

When people were looking to "beat the market" on the next phase, I was selling them items for the next phase and investing in phase 3. When I earned some gold I began investing in phase 4-6. Dont be reactive and make investments that require a quick turnover and if you are interested in that kind of sale, invest in equipment items instead of consumes.

It also helps that im on a dad server on Fairbanks and the market is very sluggish while still being predictable.

Jpy fendor
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
You were late to the game. I started buying items related to BWL on week 2. I acknowledged that I wouldnt earn much from the DM phase and was only going to use DM for jump runs. I invested in longterm assets and blended my gold before DM to account for inflation and - inflation happened, if only a little bit. On week 2-3 I began purchasing black lotuses. I have about 55 black lotus and purchased them all for 35g or less over the span of 1.5 months. They currently sell for 55-60g on my server and will continue to increase longterm. I never buy them out, I only bid if they are a bid price of 35g or less. Week 2-3 I started to stack elemental earth, fire, heart of fire and stonescale eel - I was purchasing all of these for 1-15s each. Earth now sell for 1-1.5g, Ele Fire are 2-3g each and Stonescale Eel are around 20s each - heart of fire will come into play later on and I am still stacking them very casually.

When people were looking to "beat the market" on the next phase, I was selling them items for the next phase and investing in phase 3. When I earned some gold I began investing in phase 4-6. Dont be reactive and make investments that require a quick turnover and if you are interested in that kind of sale, invest in equipment items instead of consumes.

It also helps that im on a dad server on Fairbanks and the market is very sluggish while still being predictable.
Man, if you're on a dead server, I don't wanna know what my server is. Black Lotus are like 20-25g a piece on the AH on my server. Not gonna invest anymore tho. Learned my lesson

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

I’ve been stocking a very small amount of much of the same. Smaller scale sniping singles or small stacks when I see them but I’ll still be able to turn a profit in the future post epic mount.

E: if you got in on stone early also you’d be making a killing right now. I’m consistently selling stacks of Solid Stone for 4-5g on Faerlina.