donator Posts: 42
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It's kinda weird, isn't it? Every crafting profession I've had gives a guaranteed skillup when crafting something orange. But skinning for some reason doesn't. Is that intended?

Paladin Holy
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 109
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So yeah, it should be:

orange >= 100%
100% > yellow > 50%
50% >= green > 0%
0% >= grey

With the exception that the first yellow skill is always 100%.

You are however not the first person that I have seen mentioning this.. so might be a bug or a skinning unique thing?

- Xcellers
|Paladin|Firemaw EU-PVP|
Mk. Ultra - Comprehensive Guild Management Spreadsheet
A comprehensive tool for guild managers maintaining rosters & loot distribution in LC based guilds

Vault of the Silverhands, A Gear Primer for Holy Paladins
A progressive and customisable item, enchant and buff overview for Holy Paladins

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Well it's not because I consistently don't get skillups from orange

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Well it's not because I consistently don't get skillups from orange
Just to be clear, youre looking at the color of the skinning text "Skinnable" and not the level of the mob itself, which could be orange to you due to a separation in levels?

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Yes

Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Have you checked that you are not max skill?

I've done this with all gathering professions incl skinning. I gather for like 10 mins and wondering why I don't get any skillups and I look at my skill tab and I see for instance that I have Skinning 225/225.

I've leveled Herbalism and Skinning (Herbalism on two chars) both up above 225 and I've never experienced this, unless I forget to rank up.

Sometimes I obviously continue leveling with max skill because it's either expensive at that level or I'm on a "roll" and don't want to get back to a major city.

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I have 300 Mining on one char and ~200 herb/skinning on another char. If this happened to me I never noticed it.

Mage Frost
EU Mirage Raceway
donator Posts: 22
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I've got the same issue.
I was leveling skinning yesterday and when i was around 180/225 i did not always get a skillup on an orange colored beast.

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 18
Night Elf
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I remember encountering the same while skinning a turtle, I was sad because it was killed by another player and was much higher level than I could kill. Could it be because your skinning is a bit ahead of your level? Were you skinning creatures that would be impossible or hard to kill by yourself? I don't know. :/

Edit: Hmm, it did not make any sense anyway since the limitations are already applied while learning the professions.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Not really, I was a lvl 60 killing 40-ish mob. And no my skinning wasn't maxed

Mage Frost
EU Mirage Raceway
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I levelled to 203/225 last night and to skin several mobs before getting a skillup. I skinned everything from green to orange, it remained the same.

donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Just ran into that yesterday for about 3 or 4 mobs that showed skinning as orange. Hasn't happened since.

Mage Frost
EU Mirage Raceway
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Apparently for skinning it's not like other professions;

Skinning Color Codes
Any skinnable corpse will have a a color code on the "Skinnable" property when you move your pointer over it:
Red: Not skinnable.
Orange: Difficult to skin, may fail; high chance of increasing Skinning skill level.
Yellow: Moderately difficult to skin, almost never fail; moderate chance of increasing Skinning skill level.
Green: Easy to skin, should never fail; low chance of increasing Skinning skill level.
Gray: Very easy to skin, should never fail; no chance of increasing Skinning skill level.
Up to skinning 100, you can find out the highest level mob you can skin by: ((Skinning skill)/10)+10.
From skinning level 100 and up the formula is simply: (Skinning skill)/5.

(source: https://vanilla-wow.fandom.com/wiki/Skinning)

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It always cracks me up when skinning fails.

"Oh shit I fucked this leather up, it didn't come off right. Let's put it back on the animal and try again!"

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
It always cracks me up when skinning fails.

"Oh shit I fucked this leather up, it didn't come off right. Let's put it back on the animal and try again!"
I always imagined this as you accidentally stabbing yourself. "And just slice through the belly right h - FUCK THAT'S MY THUMB".

Selexin
Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Telvaine wrote:
4 years ago
I always imagined this as you accidentally stabbing yourself. "And just slice through the belly right h - FUCK THAT'S MY THUMB".
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh....... that was MY leg that I just skinned................ I really feel silly now.