Druid Feral
US Incendius
donator Posts: 163
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I had my first classic raid experience last night, and it was great!

I was originally intending to be a tank, but instead I healed because out guild actually has too many tanks and not enough healers.

So my question is mainly for druids here. I'm currently HotW/NS build because I love the flexibility of the build. I can tank 5 mans if need be, I can heal 5 mans, I can solo farm, I can do a bit of everything.

With that said, my healing abilities compared to everyone else in the raid was abysmal. Even when comparing myself to the only other druid in the raid. He was Moonglow/NS so it makes sense that I underperformed compared to him.

I have very little experience with the moonglow/ns build, as I generally play hotw/ns or a deep resto flag carrying pvp spec. My question is can Moonglow/NS perform as well as HOTW/NS, or at least adequately, when it comes to PvP?

I don't like necessarily being at the bottom of the heal list, but I also play the game for PvP. Will I have any luck using Moonglow/NS in PvP situations, or should I just stick it out with HotW/NS?

Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So, first of all, as a druid no one is taking you and comparing you against the other heal builds, nor should they be. You are a decidedly worse healer. You are in the raid to absorb loot that would otherwise be sharded. That being said, what is the progress of your guild? If they are progressing and have not cleared the content, your team should come first and you should be optimizing your performance until the content is on farm. It doesnt matter that you are a PvP focused player - everyone on a PvP server is a PvP focused player. You should be doing the best you can, especially as an under performing spec, while your guild is progressing. If everything is on farm, just run your desired build by your raid lead and play whatever.

When you say the other druid is doing better than you, is this only as a result in the differences of spec? Have you looked at logs? What is his healing assignment and what is yours? This can make a massive difference in performance. If the raid isnt running heal assignments you should take initiative and give out some assignments to ensure that as a druid, your heals are being used properly. I will also say that druids fight an uphill battle because if the other healers are less experienced and snipe heals the entire time, you never really have a chance to shine.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
EU Mirage Raceway
donator Posts: 4
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Generally, there will only be one druid performing on the meters unless you coordinate hots. Since they don't stack, the one with the higher ticking hots will overwrite all other hots and get all those sweet numbers.

I guess if you really want to get higher numbers you should go for a swiftmend spec. The moonglow spec needs a lot of int and a lot of crit to work properly.

What I recommend though is sticking with HotW/NS. A seriously minmaxed raid would only take one resto druid anyway, and the meters are not by any means to be taken at face value.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

salka wrote:
4 years ago
What I recommend though is sticking with HotW/NS. A seriously minmaxed raid would only take one resto druid anyway, and the meters are not by any means to be taken at face value.
This is probably what I will fall back on. I just sent a big private message to @Pippina about this exact topic yesterday. I will paste the builds and some commentary here as it is mostly relevant (although I also discuss the PvP Feral options too). I have bolded and underlined the very relevant line:
Selexin wrote:
4 years ago
As I get closer to 60, I have been looking at different builds and different directions to take my druid - and here are my 3 main options depending on what direction I take:
  • 14/32/5 Pure Feral DPS/PvP Build (can off tank)
  • 0/30/21 HotW Resto Healing/Tanking Build (can't really pvp/dps)
  • 25/0/26 Moonglow Balance/Resto PvE/PvP (can kind of DPS, and heal efficiently, decent PvP capability too)
Thoughts?

Pure Feral/DPS would be good fun especially for PvP, but a less PvE viability (a bit meme for DPS, can off tank if needed).
HotW/NS is a really amazing PvE option especially for raids. Can heal very effectively with a huge mana pool and efficient HT spammer, but can also be a very capable Off Tank with all tanking options in feral tree chosen. Can also grind/farm 'OK' in bear form. Not amazing PvP... can survive and throw some heals.
Moonglow spec is probably the most balanced of PvE and PvP viability. Definitely will be an efficient healer, but can also PvP with wrath/moonfire/insect swarm spam while casting roots and throwing big Rejuv's around. This option intrigues me, but life is spent in caster form and is very squishy if locked down with CC.

I've never been a huge fan of pure resto Swiftmend builds, they are painful for anything except dungeons/raids. Pure Tanking feral builds also feel limiting because for PvP its really just flag running. These three builds offer probably the most flexibility (Hybrids being flexible is a good thing) - While pure feral DPS looks the least flexible, they have fantastic PvP potential, decent DPS and also can Off Tank too.

Dat druid lyfe.
I did also send some stranger PvP Feral/Resto builds, but they aren't quite as relevant.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I saw your PM homie, needed some time to look at them and think about it. I suck at least evaluating talent builds, lol.

Curious about that 25/0/26 Moonglow Balance/Resto PvE/PvP spec. If you're putting that much into balance and planning on leaning that hard on spellcasting for DPS anyway, why not pull 6 points out of resto and into moonkin? I don't think you can heal in moonkin, but the 4.6 armor multiplier in moonkin is the same as dire bear form. Seems like if squishyness when pinned down in PVP is a concern, being able to drop into moonkin and keep casting with dat dere armor bonus could be a solution.

Not even saying moonkin is a good idea. More curious to hear why not if you're already looking at balance DPS anyway. Cuz I'm not familiar enough to really make a judgement either way.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Curious about that 25/0/26 Moonglow Balance/Resto PvE/PvP spec. If you're putting that much into balance and planning on leaning that hard on spellcasting for DPS anyway, why not pull 6 points out of resto and into moonkin?
The build is more about wearing your opponents down, you can't out DPS anyone in this build. You need to be in caster form for the heals. If you have to switch between moonkin/caster all the time you will go OOM very quickly. This build is more a PvE healing build, rather than a DPS build. If you want to DPS you would go full moonkin, but then you really lose the ability for raid/dungeon healing. You aren't this build for DPS in raids other than for bursting down some bosses if they require less healing or something.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35