Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So DM has been out for a day now. There was a lot of noise about an incoming flood of gold coming from some well known gold farming spots inside parts of the dungeon, and this was supposed to bring a lot of inflation. Well, a day later, and it appears like a lot of the gold farming methods that worked on private servers don't work in patch 1.13. I'm also reading that the loot tables on things like Lashers is a lot less lucrative here than it was on private, leading to even mages finding more efficient gold farming methods elsewhere.

I never did any DM farming on private servers, and I'm still a few levels away from DM here on Classic. For the guys in DM right now, has anybody tried doing any gold farming in there yet? Should we still expect a huge influx of gold to cause mass inflation, or is that looking less likely now that we know the state of patch 1.13's Dire Maul?

Westfall
US Pagle
donator Posts: 81
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The biggest change is that the Arcane Crystal supply will go up. If the supply of Arcane Crystals is high enough that the bottle neck for Arcanite Bars is the 2 day transmute cooldown, we'll start to see a bigger price difference between the two; with Arcanite Bars likely staying the same price as they are now but with Crystals decreasing in price and the cost of the Arcanite Bar transmutes going up in trade chat.

Outside of that, I don't think there will be as big of an economical shift as people expected. There will be more gold circulating with DM:E jump runs and DM:N tribute runs generating more vendor gold, but I don't think we'll see prices of everything get out of hand just yet.

Darnassus
donator Posts: 57
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

People always spam "there will be chaos when X happens", but there never is. The people who theorycraft and try to predict the future as if they have learned fucking Gnomish Engineering IRL are silent. It always happens. Never pay them more than 5% credibility. Not much will change, except people will have a bit more gold. That would have happened in either case, because a lot of people have cleared content and so it's more slow, meaning more downtime for farming. That's it. No flipping the entire auction house upside down.

/sigh

Isomena

[ Golemagg | Alliance | Hunter | Lucas ]
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

TeamRemix wrote:
4 years ago
There will be more gold circulating with DM:E jump runs and DM:N tribute runs generating more vendor gold, but I don't think we'll see prices of everything get out of hand just yet.
Are you sure? I'm seeing threads like this pop up:

Dire maul jump runs impossible

And I'm reading about hunter tribute runs being much more difficult than they were on private servers. And there used to be a way for Druids to farm lashers solo on private, but the methods used on private are impossible here on 1.13 because the lashers are immune to the Druid's nature spells and their loot tables are much less lucrative than they were on private as well. So lasher farming seems to be gone, and it looks like other solo farming methods are gone as well or generally a lot harder / less efficient compared to what they were on private.

But I have no experience here, and am trying to make sense of what I'm reading elsewhere. I know DM has only been out a day or so but I'm curious to hear from the private server vets about how different things are here now that the 1.13 version of DM is out and known.

I was looking forward to solo farming lashers to generate enough gold to buy an epic mount in a few levels :lol:

Westfall
US Pagle
donator Posts: 81
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

You can still do jump runs with 3 people and make good money.

Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Im not sure, for me the best G/Hour is actually farming runecloth and buying runecloth and sell stuff to the Auction House.
Sometimes with buying and farming I get 80g/h+ (as a Priest)

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Loch modan
EU Judgement
donator Posts: 33
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

No content release will cause an actual spike in inflation on the economy as a whole.

The only type of gold that can cause inflation in the game is the gold you get as a player from infinite sources (quests, selling items to vendors, gold looted from mobs) so we can't really talk about inflation since the materials and items you get from Dire Maul will likely get posted to the AH instead of selling them to vendors, and all the gold sources that come from players is just recirculated, you don't add gold to the economy, you just move it form one player to another.

The gold you loot from monsters is negligible, you cannot actually think that looting gold from mobs in a dungeon can cause anything other than a steady and slow increase in inflation, just like all gold that is looted from monsters.

Buying items from vendors, AH cut and repair bills, but mostly repair bills, do a decent job at removing gold from the economy and balance it.

In reality, inflation spikes can only be caused by population spikes.

The only thing you can expect from Dire Maul farming is a change in pricing of the materials and items you get from it.
The more people farm it and put them on the auction house, the cheaper they get.

Hunter
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Quite to my suprise, DM had a kind of different impact than the expected inflation on our AH eco.
Couple of materials gotten a lot cheaper but the important lvl60 goods also actually got a bit cheaper, with the sole exception of cured rugged hides, which increased a bit in value, nothing too crazy though.

From my first impression leveling with lashers is alot harder because of irontree aggro range, faster patrols and more death lashers.

Have to check how the other things work out, tribute was pretty ridiculous with the huge ogre aggro range for example, also I had reports on fight club discord, that the tribute chest can spawn without blue loot.

donator Posts: 42
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Im not sure, for me the best G/Hour is actually farming runecloth and buying runecloth and sell stuff to the Auction House.
How do you make money off of runecloth? It sells for 1g a stack on my server, that's nothing.

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Most money will always be made by playing the auction house. I just recently started flipping BoEs and mats and I allready make more gold than my lousy level 58 warrior could farm by mining and/or killing stuff.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
4 years ago
Most money will always be made by playing the auction house. I just recently started flipping BoEs and mats and I allready make more gold than my lousy level 58 warrior could farm by mining and/or killing stuff.
Never understood how this works. How do you know when a BoE / mats are underpriced, and how do you know for sure they'll sell for more?

Loch modan
EU Judgement
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never understood how this works. How do you know when a BoE / mats are underpriced, and how do you know for sure they'll sell for more?
There isn't a secret formula, unless we are talking about, for example, known BiS twink items and other very well known BoEs.

You just have to play in order to win. No way of knowing otherwise.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Foohy wrote:
4 years ago
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
There isn't a secret formula, unless we are talking about, for example, known BiS twink items and other very well known BoEs.

You just have to play in order to win. No way of knowing otherwise.
If there isn't a secret formula or certain tricks to it, I don't understand how people make so much money doing it. What you're describing sounds like gambling, and that's not a good way to make money.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

You need to frequent the AH. Get familiar with your server’s economy, how things that are selling are being priced, how that price fluctuates throughout the week. Next an addon like TSM can help identify quickly which items are posted at below market value and snipe good deals. Risk/reward is nothing but preference, you can make profit many different ways. Another thing to keep in mind is how future events/patches etc will affect the market. Which items will be sought after when x launches?

teebling
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Foohy wrote:
4 years ago
No content release will cause an actual spike in inflation on the economy as a whole.

The only type of gold that can cause inflation in the game is the gold you get as a player from infinite sources (quests, selling items to vendors, gold looted from mobs) so we can't really talk about inflation since the materials and items you get from Dire Maul will likely get posted to the AH instead of selling them to vendors, and all the gold sources that come from players is just recirculated, you don't add gold to the economy, you just move it form one player to another.

The gold you loot from monsters is negligible, you cannot actually think that looting gold from mobs in a dungeon can cause anything other than a steady and slow increase in inflation, just like all gold that is looted from monsters.

Buying items from vendors, AH cut and repair bills, but mostly repair bills, do a decent job at removing gold from the economy and balance it.

In reality, inflation spikes can only be caused by population spikes.

The only thing you can expect from Dire Maul farming is a change in pricing of the materials and items you get from it.
The more people farm it and put them on the auction house, the cheaper they get.
I'm not implying that the currency would inflate because more items were being sold on the auction hall. You're right, no matter how much gold an item sells for on auction, no new money is being added to the monetary base. Gold just changes hand when things sell on auction, no new gold is being generated. In fact, selling items on auction actually causes some minor deflation as the auction hall takes a cut and the gold collected as a fee is removed from the economy.

I'm referring to some of the gold farming methods that were supposedly easy to run on private servers. I've read about and seen videos espousing ways to generate large quantities of new gold from selling vendor trash picked up during runs. Things like generating 50-100+ gold per hour farming lashers as a druid, for example. That kind of new gold generation by the mass vendoring of vendor trash would definitely contribute to inflation with large amounts of currency being spawned and inserted into the economy. And as far as I can tell, those methods don't actually work in 1.13 and were a private server oddity. That's what I'm trying to get feedback on... are there any remaining DM vendor trash farming routes from private that still work on the version of DM that we just got?

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Samaraner wrote:
4 years ago
Its as much gambling as poker is. If you dont know what you are doing you may as well roll a dice. But if you know what you are doing the odds are more and more in your favor, to the point where success is pretty much guaranteed.

You know how an item sells by historical data. This data can either be your personal experience or a database, like TSM.
Also, applying basic economics. Supply and demand. One example: Flask prices are dictated by black lotus supply, which is relatively stable. Flask demand however is highly dependent on raid activity, which heavily fluctuates within a calender week. Therefore flasks spike in price at wednesday and sunday, which are the most common raid days. On my server there is a 20 to 25% price difference. Easy profit.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

@Pippina DME lashers and DMN hyenas were the big vendor gold contributors that don’t work currently, or at least not as efficiently as they did on pservers. Mages have transitioned to more Satyr farm in DM (which from what I’ve seen when done correctly beats ZF farm). The vendor farm that does still work, however, is Hunter DM Tribute. It is also different from pservers in some regards from what I’ve gathered and people are still working on improving that farm so it’s not yielding it’s full potential yet (IIRC Ahmpy was getting ~50/hour but he said there was a lot of room for improvement). Hunters are also gimped for Classic compared to pservers so less people are playing it/I’d imagine it’ll be less impactful in regards to inflation.

TLDR; most solo DM farm that makes its gold from vendoring is either broken or substantially worst than pservers, AH gold is king.

E: there was a mage farm also in DMN kiting a boss but not sure how profitable his drops alone are and what you would bake in with that if hyenas aren’t working, iirc the bracers were the big target

Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
How do you make money off of runecloth? It sells for 1g a stack on my server, that's nothing.

I craft Items with it, sorry havent mentioned that I am a tailoring guy.

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Loch modan
EU Judgement
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
If there isn't a secret formula or certain tricks to it, I don't understand how people make so much money doing it. What you're describing sounds like gambling, and that's not a good way to make money.
One trick that everyone with basic economic knowledge knows is buy cheap and sell for more.
Auctioneer (addon) has a function that scans the items in the AH, and the last column on the right shows you a percentage.
What it does is it takes the prices of all the items of that type posted in the AH (lets say Silk Cloth) and generates that column showing if the price of that particular posting is cheaper or more expensive than the standard price of the item (the standard price is decided by the pricing set by players)

The standard pricing of an item is calculated by adding up all the prices of all the posts of that item together and dividing them by the number of total posts.
100% is the standard pricing range at that moment of scanning, anything above is overpriced and anything under is underpriced. So buy anything that is under 100% and sell it for more than they were.
Auctioneer also has a handy option for easier posting where you set an automatic undercut against your competitors by an amount you decide.

Materials are usually a very safe bet when it comes to this, you can make some fat cash if you do it with higher level materials and some decent cash with lower level materials.

All you have to do is play the AH, scan it regularly and find that underpriced stack, buy it out and sell it for more.
Once you have enough money you can capitalize on a whole market, buy everything on it and sell it for a price decided by you.

Sometimes it's also not a good idea to post things on the AH and you just have to wait in those cases.
An example that happened to me while leveling was the prices of Small Silk Packs, they were selling on the AH for 25s each at most. I wanted to make more of a profit on mine so I waited until the prices went back up. If I had the money I would have capitalized on that market and made a decent profit for a level 30ish character.

It is not directly a gamble, but you can see playing the AH has a lot of uncertainty. Like I said before, you just have to play if you want to win.
The best way to guarantee your winnings is patience, understand the market of your server and use your judgement.
Hope these few tips will help you out.