donator Posts: 42
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I keep hearing people say that with Dire Maul, hunters are gonna make so much fucking gold off tribute runs, gold value is gonna go down and it's better to invest in items right now and sit on them. Question is, what is a good thing to invest in that will become valuable post Dire Maul and phase 2? Nobody wants to actually say it, ofcourse. This place is a little more obscure than reddit or the forums, maybe someone here dares to say it? What will be a good money maker in phase 2?

Druid Restoration
EU Ashbringer
donator Posts: 38
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1313

@Stfuppercut 's Post

teebling
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

umm you linked to the thread we're currently in

Druid Restoration
EU Ashbringer
donator Posts: 38
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
umm you linked to the thread we're currently in
Edited, sorry I'm dumb.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

"What is good to invest in right now?"

Physical assets. Get rid of liquid currency. The less gold you have before Dire Maul, the better. Servers are going to see some inflation over the coming weeks and those assets should rise in value.

Avoid assets that will increase in availability due to the Dire Maul farms... Obviously. These will depreciate.

badgirls
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

Physical assets. Get rid of liquid currency. The less gold you have before Dire Maul, the better. Servers are going to see some inflation over the coming weeks and those assets should rise in value.

Avoid assets that will increase in availability due to the Dire Maul farms... Obviously. These will depreciate.
The thing is, I'm scared to dump most of my gold on physical assets. I think I know what to invest in, but I'm not sure. What if I'm wrong? What if there was something more lucrative I didn't know about? What if the mats I'm buying up have already risen in price? How do I know if they're "cheap" and how do I estimate what they will be worth later?

All of it seems pretty risky and dependent on each server population. I just dunno. Is 25g for a PBD cheap, or is it already inflated?

Darnassus
donator Posts: 57
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

The thing is, I'm scared to dump most of my gold on physical assets. I think I know what to invest in, but I'm not sure. What if I'm wrong? What if there was something more lucrative I didn't know about? What if the mats I'm buying up have already risen in price? How do I know if they're "cheap" and how do I estimate what they will be worth later?

All of it seems pretty risky and dependent on each server population. I just dunno. Is 25g for a PBD cheap, or is it already inflated?
Twink items. Might be a little bit late for it, but check lists and go to AH. The least you can do is have a look!

Edit: I accidentally pressed quote instead of reply to thread normally. Sorry about that!

[ Golemagg | Alliance | Hunter | Lucas ]
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

Twink items. Might be a little bit late for it, but check lists and go to AH. The least you can do is have a look!

Edit: I accidentally pressed quote instead of reply to thread normally. Sorry about that!
I thought about that, but I play on a PvE server and I just don't see twink stuff becoming really valuable until battlegrounds are added. Also, I've been keeping tabs on Shadowfang. It's never on for less than 180g, and even that is rare. Usually around 300g. It's not selling, because I keep seeing the same people listing it, but people seem to absolutely refuse to let it go for less.

Shaman Enhancement
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 37
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago

I thought about that, but I play on a PvE server and I just don't see twink stuff becoming really valuable until battlegrounds are added. Also, I've been keeping tabs on Shadowfang. It's never on for less than 180g, and even that is rare. Usually around 300g. It's not selling, because I keep seeing the same people listing it, but people seem to absolutely refuse to let it go for less.
I think you'll be surprised with how many people have been preparing twinks ahead of time. People want to be fully twinked out ready for when P3 hits (some people I know are aiming to be as ready as possible for P2 for WPvP fun, obvs PvP server only), so now is when they are going to be buying stuff!

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Sikeo wrote:
4 years ago
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago

I think you'll be surprised with how many people have been preparing twinks ahead of time. People want to be fully twinked out ready for when P3 hits (some people I know are aiming to be as ready as possible for P2 for WPvP fun, obvs PvP server only), so now is when they are going to be buying stuff!
I dunno man. Are they? I feel like normies don't think that far ahead

US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 165
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago

This right here. Get rid of your Thorium and Arcanite now, they're going to depreciate once DMW farm groups are able to go for the guarenteed veins.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

How long do you think it'll be before we see inflation on a global scale? Where the price of regular mats (eg Runecloth) goes up? I've been selling Runecloth, but maybe I should stockpile it instead

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
The thing is, I'm scared to dump most of my gold on physical assets.
You should be more scared of losing the value of your current purchasing power. The concept of purchasing power is abstract but has nothing to do with the absolute number of your currency. If the currency supply doubles in a week then roughly speaking your purchasing power is cut in half.

We know inflation is going to skyrocket after DM opens. Use this to your advantage. There is a large opportunity cost to doing nothing here. If you do nothing then you guarantee that your wealth is significantly reduced. Inventing in something is better than investing in nothing, as long as you don't invest in something that is easily farmed in DM - because the amount of that will inflate as well.
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
How long do you think it'll be before we see inflation on a global scale? Where the price of regular mats (eg Runecloth) goes up? I've been selling Runecloth, but maybe I should stockpile it instead
I was just about to suggest this. Seems like commodities in general should rise in cost with inflation. So any commodity should be a safer bet than doing nothing.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Soo do you think I should dump all my gold into something? I've been kinda keeping a threshold of 500g, but maybe I should go all in

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Larval Acid
Pristine Black Diamond
Essence of Water

Elemental Earth also up 100% since last week for me.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Soo do you think I should dump all my gold into something? I've been kinda keeping a threshold of 500g, but maybe I should go all in
I think that just like in real world investing, you need to diversify your investment. I wouldn't divest yourself of all your gold though. Keep an amount on hand. Maybe keep 10% in gold, and then identify 4-5 other assets to invest in. You mentioned being afraid of picking the wrong item to invest in, which is a legitimate concern. The best way to guard yourself against buying the wrong items is to invest in a handful of different vehicles. That way if one of the items you move your cash into sinks in value then you haven't lost as much as if you sunk all of your cash into a single item that proceeded to lose value.

I don't have much gold. I just broke the 100g mark again after buying my mount. I'm still traveling this week for work so I can't really play, but I do plan to find a way to log in long enough to move some of my character's wealth into some items to try to protect against the DM inflation. I plan on holding onto 25g and investing 75g into a number of different items. I'm thinking certain cloths and crafting materials are probably a safe bet for a small 75g investment. I can hold them and flip them on auction in a few weeks or a month once they increase in price on auction due to inflation. Best case, they double in price and I get a good chunk of coin back. Worst case, I miss, but still have the items and can still auction them back out later on. 100g isn't buying me anything important right now so I'm not losing anything by investing, holding, and auctioning them off in a month.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Think pets will become valuable in the future? Whelplings are drifting between 15 and 100g right now, I've bought out any I found with 15g buyout or less. Also sniped a disgusting oozeling for 3g last night, some dummy must've meant to put up for 300g and fucked up.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Think pets will become valuable in the future? Whelplings are drifting between 15 and 100g right now, I've bought out any I found with 15g buyout or less. Also sniped a disgusting oozeling for 3g last night, some dummy must've meant to put up for 300g and fucked up.
Yes. Simply put, not that many people are at a point where they’ve purchased everything they need from mounts to equipment and enchants/consumables/professions etc. That’s the point when logical people even begin to consider pets ;)