Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 16
Orc
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Anyone know of any site? Any ideas? Thoughts? Where can I find an armory that is like https://legacyplayers.com/ ?

I thought maybe these guys had, but it lookslike just alot of stats and stuff.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/

Also, I thought these guys mighta had it, but it looks like no classic wow support... hmm...

https://raider.io/addon

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

As far as official armory support, Blizzard is intentionally not providing one since it wasn't in the original game:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23090136

Blizzard Entertainment
Q. Will there be an Armory for WoW Classic?
A. There was no Armory for World of Warcraft until the Burning Crusade. If you wanted to know more about a player’s gear before you invited them to your party, you had to meet them in the world and physically inspect them (and you couldn’t inspect players of the opposite faction until 2.4). You couldn’t see their spec or talent builds when you inspected them, either. To maintain that same dynamic, we won’t have an Armory or profile pages for WoW Classic at launch.
And I remember reading something about 3rd party armory support not being possible either. I can't find where I read it, but I remember reading something about Blizzard removing the API call that could have done this when they broke the ClassicLFG tool. I don't remember specifics, but I remember something along those lines.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I really really hope not.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Paladin Protection
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 167
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I don't need nerds staring at my profile online for a strat UD run.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I highly doubt someone won't build one for classic.

Image    Image    Image
Undercity
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 6
Horde
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It is more authentic without armory. So, i agree with Stfuppercut.

Vylizana Undead Frost Mage
<Czechdream>
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
Seems like anything with that kind of functionality would require API call support from Blizzard. You can't see other people's talent builds, so that's unavailable. If Blizzard didn't make the player database available, then an addon would have to do some kind of scriped automated inspection of nearby players. And if that's even possible then it seems like Blizzard could break whatever hook that would use. Seems like something that would only exist if Blizzard allowed it to.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 145
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I recall that the addon for realmplayers.com/legacyplayers.com auto-inspected and uploaded gear, but only if you selected the character.

Since you can totally just /inspect on a target, there is no reason that an addon cannot exist, that sends the received data somewhere. True, no talents are visible ingame, but they might still be in the response of the call code-wise, in addition to the gear and PvP stats.

I expect it will happen.

Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Yeah but that requires each user to manually walk up and then select every person they see. And then it's a snapshot that only gets updated every time a person with the addon repeats the process. Seems like a very poor way of doing it with very spotty coverage and the majority if the database would be old, out of date, and of questionable utility. Why would I use a database of what a small percentage of the server's gear looked like several weeks or months ago?

And again, that addon was relying on an API call that allowed an add-on to automatically poll for that information on private servers where the operators didn't care. If blizzard doesn't want this in the game, they'll disable or restrict whatever the addon is doing.

Elwynn Forest
US Old Blanchy
donator Posts: 102
Alliance
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

the wowhead addon + gearplanner is the closest thing I can think of? Not public though.

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 229
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I don't want it solely because it's one step closer to another Raider.io scenario

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
Seems like anything with that kind of functionality would require API call support from Blizzard. You can't see other people's talent builds, so that's unavailable. If Blizzard didn't make the player database available, then an addon would have to do some kind of scriped automated inspection of nearby players. And if that's even possible then it seems like Blizzard could break whatever hook that would use. Seems like something that would only exist if Blizzard allowed it to.
Yeah, after thinking about it further. I see Blizzard cutting the lifeline that keep these services active. I believe they did something similar with Classic LFG, no?

Image    Image    Image
Burning Steppes
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 5
Human
Rogue
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I honestly do not see the need of having WoW Armory. I am not so familiar with it, only used it like 2 times.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, after thinking about it further. I see Blizzard cutting the lifeline that keep these services active. I believe they did something similar with Classic LFG, no?
Most recent example I can think of is when Blizzard protected the sendwho() function so that it required direct input from the user to use the /who command. Previously, addons were able to have an automated process running in the background scraping the server for names of active players to create a database for census purposes. As far as I know, Blizzard never said why they did it, but the most realistic speculation I've seen was to try to crack down on automated gold selling spam - one less tool in the spamming toolbox to see who is online and who to send messages to. Regardless though, it's an example of Blizzard protecting a system call to prevent addons from serving some core function, essentially shutting them down. Like the census addons.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ted/305407

If blizzard doesn't want a classic Armory, then they're going to protect the system calls needed to do the automation necessary to allow such a system from growing in the 3rd party addon world. Something like that requires a certain critical mass of players using it constantly for it to become widespread, and people are lazy. You could probably write an addon which would upload your own current gear to some database, but I doubt we'd see one that can scan others in the background as you meet people. And that kind of keeps it from spreading.

teebling