Darnassus
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hello everyone,
Looking for an advice from veteran Hunters and not only:
Which is the best hunter pet for leveling ?
- offensive - with high attack speed (cats, owls, etc)
- defensive - with better stamina, armor (bears, crocos, etc)
- general (like wolves).
Is it all about holding the threat or fast killing?...

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey nafeth, couple things you might be interested in to help you answer your question.

What hunter pet are you going for? - this was a poll we had a while back with nearly 1000 votes, offensively Cat for the DPS and attack speed (spell pushback is big in PvP) seemed the most popular option, shortly followed by the defensive option of Owls for https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=24423 ('Get a fucking Owl' post on reddit).

Hunter pets - another similar discussion topic on the same subject.

Bobo talents for pets - great for making pet builds as you level up (you can assign points per level, unlike wowhead and other sites).

Petopia over on Warcraft Tavern.

nafeth
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Teebling posted good stuff, I'd also add that people forget Gorilla have a great aoe threat spell, which I find is good to deal with accidentally pulled mobs.

Image    Image    Image
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

In my experience (dwarf hunter many times) boars are the best ones: good healt/armor, pretty decent damage (you will deal the most of it after all) and they eat ANYTHING

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Warlock Destruction
donator Posts: 20
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

fendor wrote:
4 years ago
ANYTHING
:D

teebling fendor morbidmike
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

For dungeon cleaving, take an owl for screech. For duo leveling, especially with a mage, take a boar (they can eat conjured food). For leveling ahead of the curb, keep your starter pet and pickup a brokentooth when level appropriate. For leveling with the main pack and on a PvP realm, take any cat for PvP or optionally a wind serpent.

Outside of this you have a ton of options but not many of them are good. Functionally you will always find high value in Cats, Boars and Owls. All 3 can dash/dive/charge to targets and open up on threat, which allows you to start auto-shotting faster.

Changing pets should not be a priority outside of grabbing brokentooth or a mid game cat for PvP. If I roll an Orc, I rock the boar for as long as it can carry me. If I stay ahead of the pack, I keep the boar. If I roll a Night Elf, I would rock an owl for as long as I stay ahead of the pack and optionally switch to a cat if I found myself fall back into the main group of levelers. As you level you'll want to take a look at your pet abilities and track what abilities you need to grab. Just like a hunters abilities, you wont need to go and get training for your pet or to tame other pets to learn new ranks of abilities all the time, this is something you will occasionally do when it is absolutely necessary.

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
Teebling posted good stuff, I'd also add that people forget Gorilla have a great aoe threat spell, which I find is good to deal with accidentally pulled mobs.
Avoid gorillas - they are always bad, even within the context of a cleave. If you pull adds you have plenty of tools to deal with it, you shouldn't destroy your dps by rocking a gorilla. Leveling a hunter as BM means that a lot of your DPS comes through the pet. The only low DPS pet that can generally be argued for, is a boar, which is typically only used if you are either ahead of the pack or if you are AE grinding with a mage where the boars high HP is important for rounding up packs. You can also use a boar within a dungeon to tank due to its desirable stats, but even in this circumstance you would be better off with a higher TPS pet. Gorillas are awful for tanking dungeons because they have low TPS and a hunter will typically turn off the AE (thunderstomp) anyways to avoid breaking CC (which will be used when a hunter is tanking). Gorillas are also awful for PvP and Gorillas are awful for soloing.

nafeth
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Darnassus
donator Posts: 57
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Just get an owl and maintain it. Trust me on this one, I made all the research.

[ Golemagg | Alliance | Hunter | Lucas ]
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The correct answer is raptor because dinosaurs are f**king awesome.

d3aths
Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Usually I would recommend Wind Serpent but they kind of suck in Classic, not nearly as good as they were on pservers.

1) Do you want AoE threat on your pet?
2) Do you want damage or tankiness?

1) Yes: Owl/Bat/Carrion Bird; No: Cat/Raptor/Boar/Wolf
2) Damage: Owl/Bat/Cat/Raptor; Tankiness: Carrion Bird/Boar; Wolf is a nice middle between damage and tankiness

Owls and Bats are nearly identical. Bats get Bite instead of Claw but have the same combat stats and Screech, but have an annoying diet.
Cats and Raptors are the highest DPS pets. Raptors have better grinding stats (since armor > hp for grinding) but can't learn Dash (why the fuck Blizzard?...).
Carrion Birds are surprisingly tanky with their neat armor modifier and Screech.
Personally I would always go with the highest DPS pets, so Owl/Bat or Cat/Raptor.

Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
I used an owl on my last hunter, before classic. This time around I'm using broken tooth.

Would definitely say broken tooth > owl for leveling if you spec beastmaster.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Just gonna throw this out there, the only reason broken tooth is good is for the 1.0 attack speed for pvp pushback. There are a lot of other cats with a 1.2 attack speed, like some of the mountain lions in hillsbrad and 1k needles, which will still wreck casters in pvp and are much simpler to tame.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Loch modan
EU Judgement
donator Posts: 33
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Definitely take an owl if you are looking to PVE effectively, but there are more to take into consideration here.
If you are playing a PVP realm there are better pet choices that can also PVE and PVP very well, it depends on your playstyle.
Look them up, see which one suits you best.

My recommendation would be a wolf.

Durotar
EU Skullflame
donator Posts: 16
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

in the past i was going owl/cat from the beginning. since i did not notice that much difference aoe threat wise and the hunter has the toolkit to handle multiple mobs even without an "OMG!1 toP ti3R Owl - g0 owl Or g0 H0m3" by simply kiting, feign deathing or trapping, wing clipping additional mobs i opted for boar.

the charge is very usefull in pvp, seems to speed up pulls when questing even if its just animation wise/it feels that way, and as others stated eats everything, even conjured food from mages.

wouldn't want to miss my silksnout. and you got a variety of boar colors to chose from

FROST SHOCK!
Darnassus
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
I used an owl on my last hunter, before classic. This time around I'm using broken tooth.

Would definitely say broken tooth > owl for leveling if you spec beastmaster.
Broken Tooth might be an exception, but he's a rare with an 8 hour respawn timer. If you play on a highly populated server like I do, owl is still your go-to.

When you levelled your hunter, did you keep up with ranks in claw? Did you go to westfall to temporarily tame a carrion just to teach Screech to your owl? Did you then utilize Screech and it's defensive stats by pulling 2 mobs at a time? Did you manually manage Screech through keybind, as it has a low priority? That's what makes it strong.

teebling

donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I solo and started with a Pig but it didn't seem to hold aggro very well so I tried a cat and I'm not looking back. Big damage and good aggro. Makes me happy anyway.

Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
When you levelled your hunter, did you keep up with ranks in claw? Did you go to westfall to temporarily tame a carrion just to teach Screech to your owl? Did you then utilize Screech and it's defensive stats by pulling 2 mobs at a time? Did you manually manage Screech through keybind, as it has a low priority? That's what makes it strong.
Yea I did do those things after reading the long reddit post. Just found the owl to be a bit overrated after using broken tooth. Broken tooths 1.0 atk speed means frenzy is up 100% of the time, and gets more benefit from ferocity than any other pet. For fastest leveling broken tooth is the way to go imo. But yea the downside is you have to camp him.

Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I like boars because of charge, they get to the mob a lot faster than most. Overall a decent pet if you're not looking to min/max.

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Hunter Beast Mastery
US Stalagg
donator Posts: 87
Orc
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

using boar since the start because of charge. i might tame a cat since i just hit STV and they put out high dps.

Quicks - Orc Hunter - US Sulfuras
Chablo - Undead Mage - US Sulfuras

Darnassus
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

What about turtles ?
They have the unique skill "Shell Shield" which seems to be useful...

donator Posts: 6
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'm using a bear, he seems to tank well now at level 36. Am I doing it wrong? lol

Darnassus
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

ESLmakeNOISE wrote:
4 years ago
I'm using a bear, he seems to tank well now at level 36. Am I doing it wrong? lol
Nope, you're not doing it wrong. There is no "right pet" for leveling. Every pet has its benefits, and it's up to the player to choose which one fits best.

ESLmakeNOISE

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
ESLmakeNOISE wrote:
4 years ago
Nope, you're not doing it wrong. There is no "right pet" for leveling. Every pet has its benefits, and it's up to the player to choose which one fits best.
End of the day it really doesn't matter at all what pet you choose for anything but min maxing and bleeding edge competitiveness. And since you are asking questions in this thread, I'm going to assume you are not already abusing layering and raiding MC, which means you are not on the bleeding edge of competitiveness, which means, congratulations! You get to pick whatever pet you want.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US