donator Posts: 2
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey all, I started playing as a mage and I'm really not enjoying it. the pve experience is ok but the pvp is just not my thing and the spell batching on instants bugs me way too much when trying to kite.

I'll likely keep this character and turn it into a farm alt but I want to start up a new character that will be PvP focused in end game. Between rogue and warlock which is my best bet?

I like that warlock doesn't suffer from the things that drove me nuts on my mage but I worry about being fresh meat for ages as gearing will be a challenge for me with no connections on my server. However, if I understand right I can get geared just doing MC and collecting high stam T1 as I prefer pvp > pve.

For rogue, I melee seems great and it is something I have yet to do. built for pvp and i jump on people rather than away like the mage did so I eliminate that point of frustration. However, again I worry about getting gear especially with how many rogues are out there and I certainly am not a high ranking member of any guild. I don't know if I'll ever see the light of tier 1/2 and a good weapon rolling a rogue.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I do have time to play but not an insane amount to do ranking or hardcore raids (which does not interest me anyway).

thanks!

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

If you're not enjoying your PvP encounters as a Mage, I'm not sure why you'd necessarily enjoy the Rogue. Yes, you're trying to get in people's faces as opposed to keeping them out of reach, but you need to time your stuns, master your rotation and weave your cooldowns into your encounters to maintain control. The level of complexity will probably go up rather than down.

Warlock is more straightforward, but you won't have the mobility that a Mage or Rogue would. You'll rely heavily on fear and death coil when pounced on by melee. Demonology makes you an extremely tanky caster for PvP, and SM/Ruin will allow you to inflict significant damage from both DoTs and direct damage spells. One of my buddies back in Vanilla would regularly land 5K+ soulfire crits, though that may have been when Talisman of Ephemeral Power and Zandalarian Hero Charm could be activated simultaneously (I believe that was changed in 1.10).

Darnassus
donator Posts: 57
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Rogues in PvP is a lot of mind games. You decide when to fight. You even decide when it's enough (through Vanish). You have many ways to deal with combat through means of utility. Sap, gouge, sprint, remove roots, stealth, etcetera. Not everything is about damage, and a rogue needs to know that.

Can't speak for Warlocks, but I hope you're happy with your final choice!

[ Golemagg | Alliance | Hunter | Lucas ]
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 88
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

They are both very strong pvp classes. Some things to keep in mind though:

- both can be geared for pvp doing only MC, rogues will have more competition though as there are always a lot of rogues around;
- rogues are heavily reliant on cooldowns; if you have none, you can kill pretty much anybody; if you do, you will struggle;
- warlocks need to learn to master their pets in order to be good in pvp;
- both have a multitude of valid pvp specs;

Don’t worry about connections on your server; this isn’t Linkedin. Find a guild that plans on raiding and join them. If it doesn’t work, join another. Everyone gets geared. It only takes commitment. Join every raid and in 2/3 months you will have full T1. (Or close to it). Also worth saying that rogue T0 is the best T0 set for it’s class (most are just decent, some are garbage).

Both are dps classes so finding guild/friends to group for pve content is essential; otherwise you will have a hard time grinding dungeons.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunter wrote:
4 years ago
Rogues in PvP is a lot of mind games. You decide when to fight. You even decide when it's enough (through Vanish). You have many ways to deal with combat through means of utility. Sap, gouge, sprint, remove roots, stealth, etcetera. Not everything is about damage, and a rogue needs to know that.

Can't speak for Warlocks, but I hope you're happy with your final choice!
Pretty much this. On the other hand for warlock you're in it for the long run, there's no reliable escape of any kind, so you can't take it lightly. (bring consumes, gear sets, potions, etc..)

Image    Image    Image
Druid Feral
US Incendius
donator Posts: 163
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I am personally completely biased towards warlock and do not enjoy rogues at all. Rogues have so many different cooldowns on a 5 minute timer and some of them almost feel necessary when fighting. So you pop all your cooldowns and then you basically can't fight for another 5 minutes (I'm hugely exaggerating here, but you get what I'm trying to say).

Warlocks, especially Demo warlocks are tanky as shit. Sure they lack mobility, but who needs it when you're so hard to kill. Sure soulshards can be a pain sometimes, but warlocks are also generally underpopulated compared to rogues.

Warlocks have so many cool abilities and utilities to put to use, especially through their pets and knowing when to use which pet against which class. There is a lot of nuance to mastering a warlock and they are pretty forgiving if you stack a lot of stamina and go for demo spec and affliction.

But it's all about personal preference. I will say though while leveling, once you get succ and soulfire, it's a lot of fun sleeping someone and casting that 6 second soulfire for massive damage.

Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 88
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Oh yeah seduce + soulfire is the shit. At 60 with good gear you can 1-shot undergeared players when it crits.

Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Warlock is not an easy class to pick up in PvP, not by any stretch of the imagination. You have no mobility whatsoever so you can't get away from melee sitting on you. You have to rely on your tankiness and consumables (limited invulnerability potion). You can't really deal with good Hunters as well since they outrange you by 5 yards and have more mobility. If you get ganked you have more downtime to get back up and running that any other class, since you need to always resummon your pet after death, which costs a bucketload of mana and time. This makes you more easy to camp than any other class. since you can't really pvp without your pet and you can't escape either. The learning curve will be quite frustrating, because a Warlock who doesn't know what he is doing is really easy to kill for most classes.

However, if you get good at it Warlock is a class to die for. Good Warlocks are exceptionally strong and arguably the best 1v1 class in the game. Once you have good gear (so tankiness) you can outlast people easily. In SL spec you can even kill people naked, because it's OP. I mained Warlock from Vanilla to Cata and it was a real blast. Would highly recommend the class, but don't roll one thinking it will be easy and faceroll. Warlock is very hard to pick up and feel good at in PvP.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I would argue it largely depends on what you mean by "pvp" rogues are great at ganking and 1v1, but not very effective at all in group pvp. Locks are good at both but have a hell of a lot more potential in group pvp. Both are monsters if geared and played very well.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Warlock Destruction
donator Posts: 20
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'll just say that as a Warlock, you can have a ritual spell, which will summon a hostile demon and kill one of the summoners instantly.
That is very fun.
You can gather your friends, and say hey, let's do a demon ritual, and then in a couple of seconds, one of your friends is dead, and you have a huge orange demon to kill :D

donator Posts: 2
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Thanks everyone! I’m starting an orc warlock :)

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

winterlantern wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks everyone! I’m starting an orc warlock :)
Do check out J Norton’s Orc Warlock Guide here on the site :smile:

Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Oh yes, a subtle way to call more people to the horde... :)

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde