Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 41
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hello,

Hunters are currently suffering from a cripping bug.
The Feign Death ability used to make your characher get out of combat and thus be able to put traps while fighitng.
Currently, the ability is completely unreliable. Most of the times it doesn't work, and the times it work it take 1-2 seconds to get you out of combat.
(You can read more about why on the thread i posted down here on classic wow Forum)

This ability is fundamental in PVP as it's our main source for getting away from melee attackers.

If any of you have spare time, please go to the classic wow forum on blizzard, bug section, and bump on the hunter Feign Death + Trap bug threads.
This is the most commented thread I found (it's on US forums): https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... 278131/285

Blizzard has not yet commented on the issue after quite some time.

This is a huge issue, the hunter class is broken to an extend it doens't make sense to play it in PVP.

Thanks.

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Wow, they still haven't fixed this? I don't want to toss around the word "unplayable" frivolously, but this bug does make Hunters unplayable in high end PvP.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
Wow, they still haven't fixed this? I don't want to toss around the word "unplayable" frivolously, but this bug does make Hunters unplayable in high end PvP.
This only begins to skim the surface numbers of bugs Hunters have currently.

Image    Image    Image
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
This only begins to skim the surface numbers of bugs Hunters have currently.
Well, it really does feel like vanilla then I guess. Except still not enough bugs.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:
4 years ago

Well, it really does feel like vanilla then I guess. Except still not enough bugs.
Trying to recreate that classic experience . I want Lupos to deal shadow damage then, so I can abuse layering to tame it. :P

donator Posts: 21
Orc
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

On a different note has anyone noticed odd behavior with autoshot? Like my autoshot will be flashing like it's on after shooting arcane shot etc but there is no white damage. Do I need to make all my shots use a /startattack or something..

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

rageplant wrote:
4 years ago
On a different note has anyone noticed odd behavior with autoshot? Like my autoshot will be flashing like it's on after shooting arcane shot etc but there is no white damage. Do I need to make all my shots use a /startattack or something..
Yes, all your spells you be /startattack macro'ed for numerous reasons...

Image    Image    Image
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ist/175887

This is a list of "bugs that are not a bugs" (with a whole section only for hunters)

quoting from the page:

Hunters can sometimes experience a slight delay before recasting Auto Shot after moving.
Note: There is a hidden “retry” timer that occurs if the hunter is moving when the normal swing timer finishes. This timer checks for hunter movement before trying to resume auto shot, and this timer refreshes every 500ms when the hunter is moving. This means that if a Hunter is moving and stops moving just after this timer refreshes, you need to wait until the retry timer checks again to validate that you are no longer moving and can resume casting auto shot. This is not a result of spell batching or server heartbeats, and is specific to the functionality of a Hunter’s Auto Shot. This is consistent with Auto Shot functionality on the Reference client.

Anyone know if this was also in vanilla?

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hunters we're confirmed broken about a month before Classic launch. They have some game breaking issues that are not vanilla-like and are also confirmed working as intended, such as shared DR's between scatter and trap. Which is why many hunters have opted to roll a different class. Hunters are awful in their current state.

Hinien
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Hunter Survival
EU Gehennas
Dwarf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Hunters we're confirmed broken about a month before Classic launch. They have some game break issues that are not vanilla-like and are also confirmed working as intended, such as shared DR's between scatter and trap. Which is why many hunters have opted to roll a different class. Hunters are awful in their current state.
Did they literally said that hunters are working as intended? Can't find anything official about it.
Even if it sucks, I would still play with shared DR's between traps and scattershot but not with the way FD is right now.

US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 1
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Read about this on another website during the first week after launch, I'm suprised (and concerned) this hasn't been fixed :-s

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Blizzard has finally posted on the corresponding thread in the Classic Bug Forum regarding Hunter Feign Death issues: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... 278131/382

Blizzard Entertainment
Hey everybody, I wanted to take a minute to talk about Feign Death. Hunters are understandably very concerned about the behavior of such an iconic ability, with a variety of important uses, and I want to assure you that we’re aware of your reports and we’re investigating. This one isn’t easy at all. In our reference builds, many of the same behaviors that players are reporting do occur, but sometimes with slight differences in timing or consistency, which makes it really difficult to even identify a clear bug in the first place. However, despite this difficulty we have made some progress here.

The first issue is that Feign Death cancels when you move, including if you turn, and very often high-skill hunters are running from an opponent, turning to shoot behind them, and then Feign Death to drop a trap. It some of these cases, Feign Death is failing because the spell-cancel on turning is more sensitive in WoW Classic than it was in 1.12. We’ve tracked down why it’s more sensitive, and we’re testing a change now that relaxes the spell cancellation to make it less likely that you’ll inadvertently trigger this if you’re trying to stop turning to cast Feign Death. That said, if you continue turning after the cast, or keep turning during the cast, you can still cause Feign Death to be cancelled. This fix will go out soon as a hotfix.

There are other reports about it taking too long to drop combat, or having combat re-activated because your pet is getting attacked, and we’re still looking at those issues. We’re tracking a couple of leads there, but we haven’t got this bug in our sights yet, so it may take a bit more time to figure out what’s really going on here.

I’m sorry it’s not a silver bullet, but hopefully it gives you some peace of mind to know we’re listening, and still investigating the issues.

Pippina FTHforever Hinien
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
Hunters we're confirmed broken about a month before Classic launch. They have some game breaking issues that are not vanilla-like and are also confirmed working as intended, such as shared DR's between scatter and trap. Which is why many hunters have opted to roll a different class. Hunters are awful in their current state.
Yeah. Planned to make a Hunter alt exclusively as PVP toon, but he is benched at lvl1 at the moment until they fix the major issues.

Stfuppercut
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I did some testing a while ago to get to the bottom of this, and here is what I found.

1. Your pet attacking the target puts you back in combat
2. Your pet being attacked does not put you back in combat.
3. Feigning near the exact moment you're hit puts you back in combat (this rarely happens).
4. Feign death seems like it waits for global cd refresh before taking you out of combat.

Whether this is inconsistent with vanilla or not I don't know, since I didn't play a hunter in vanilla. What I do know is that a lot of hunters having problems w/ feign+trap aren't using a macro that has /petfollow [combat] which is causing their pet to put them back in combat before they can trap due to the CD. Try this macro, and I think you'll find the results very predictable. Been using it since launch without any issue, in both pvp and pve.

Code: Select all

#showtooltip freezing trap
/stopattack [combat]
/petfollow [combat]
/cast freezing trap
/cast [combat] feign death

teebling Pippina Snoober
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
I did some testing a while ago to get to the bottom of this, and here is what I found.

1. Your pet attacking the target puts you back in combat
2. Your pet being attacked does not put you back in combat.
3. Feigning near the exact moment you're hit puts you back in combat (this rarely happens).
4. Feign death seems like it waits for global cd refresh before taking you out of combat.

Whether this is inconsistent with vanilla or not I don't know, since I didn't play a hunter in vanilla. What I do know is that a lot of hunters having problems w/ feign+trap aren't using a macro that has /petfollow [combat] which is causing their pet to put them back in combat before they can trap due to the CD. Try this macro, and I think you'll find the results very predictable. Been using it since launch without any issue, in both pvp and pve.

/stopattack [combat]
/petfollow [combat]
/cast freezing trap
Worthy of its own topic DoomC so people can help you testing and discussing this particular issue?

donator Posts: 6
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Thanks DoomC, I'll give that macro a try this evening!

Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

FD is pretty broken in dungeons as well. Using FD -> Explosive Trap is big in AoE packs but it fails so often ._.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Some other differences I’ve noticed from pserver mechanics are that you can’t eat, drop traps, or other functions with an arrow mid air. On repack you could auto shot -> drop a trap before the arrow hits or auto shot-> eat/drink before the arrow hits and you would continue regenerating hp/mp even after the arrow hits if your pet had aggro/you didn’t get hit. On classic mana will continue to regenerate from drink with the auto shot -> action trick, even if you’re in combat, but hp from food will not. There’s also auto shot -> aspect swap to hawk before arrow hits still proc’ing Imp Aspect of the Hawk talent on repack but I can’t imagine it works on classic (for aspect swapping between mobs with cheetah/hawk).

Pet commands seem weird also, or it may just be graphical because damage seems to still be registering. Take anything I’ve said with a grain of salt; I rarely get to play so I don’t take as many notes about mechanic details and just try to get as much progress done as I can when I do get to play. It’s all just speculation from what I remember thinking was weird.

E: on a positive note, especially early levels (when you don’t have pet so it’s really beneficial), mobs seem to be quite a bit slower. This leads to some real potential for weaving shots on low level mobs.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Mfw it turns out that one of the biggest hunter bugs is actually everyone just forgetting that you have to make a macro because all the pservers had that baked in.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Telvaine wrote:
4 years ago
Mfw it turns out that one of the biggest hunter bugs is actually everyone just forgetting that you have to make a macro because all the pservers had that baked in.
There are also some legitimate bugs. The hitting bug I mentioned above has to do with spell batching, which blizz confirmed today. The event queue was out of order placing attacks after feign when they both trigger at the same time taking you out of combat, so they're going to fix that by reversing it. There was also a turning bug that, which made you go back in combat during feign death if you were/are turning. They're avoidable once you know about them, but frustrating/confusing if you don't.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago

/stopattack [combat]
/petfollow [combat]
/cast freezing trap
Should feign death precede freezing trap?

DoomC
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Telvaine wrote:
4 years ago
Not sure what servers this was true for but I definitely used a similar macro to the one posted above for FD -> Trap on light’s hope servers (albeit different coding because classic has retail updated macro functions)

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Blizzard provided an update to this with a fix: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... 278131/497

Hunters rejoice.

teebling
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
4 years ago
Should feign death precede freezing trap?
Meant to hit quote, not like. Having it before allows you to set trap on one key press & feign + trap on two. In reverse order you do the opposite. Other than that, it doesn't matter which is first or second.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
Meant to hit quote, not like. Having it before allows you to set trap on one key press & feign + trap on two. In reverse order you do the opposite. Other than that, it doesn't matter which is first or second.
Yeh, I did wonder if it was a double tap macro with the order you listed. Does feign death trigger a GCD so that you will always need to wait 1.5sec between FD and dropping a trap? I thought I had seen hunters do FD/Trap without a GCD between the two, but maybe I was mistaken.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35