Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Blizzard Entertainment
We’ve recently become aware of a bug that could be exploited to allow instanced encounters to be completed repeatedly. We have developed a fix for the issue, and we are in the process of deploying it worldwide.

Realm restarts are scheduled for 3:00 a.m. PDT (6:00 a.m. EDT) in order to apply this fix.

As soon as possible, we will identify those who knowingly abused this bug in exploitative manner. We will then take appropriate punitive measures.

As a reminder, Blizzard’s End User License Agreement 126 defines cheats as “methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods.”

As always, thank you for your feedback on this matter.

OP: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... oit/300823

I'm wondering if the ban hammer is going to come down on a bunch of folks as a result of this.

teebling
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Well if they go by precedent then yes, bans incoming as has been the case for exploiting in the past.

On the other hand it’s surprising that this exploit wasn’t considered when layering was proposed, if I am correct in assuming that this was how the exploit worked?

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
On the other hand it’s surprising that this exploit wasn’t considered when layering was proposed, if I am correct in assuming that this was how the exploit worked?
If I understand it correctly you are exactly right. People are hopping layers inside raids, allowing them to clear instances like MC multiple times within one reset.

Paladin Retribution
donator Posts: 64
Dwarf
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
Well if they go by precedent then yes, bans incoming as has been the case for exploiting in the past.

Yeah, I think it had something to do with having everyone logout and having a person outside the dungeon reset it. Once everyone came back it would place them inside a fresh dungeon without using a lockout.

Fairbanks - Alliance
US Ret Pally - Fairbanks - <Team Naked>
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
I'm wondering if the ban hammer is going to come down on a bunch of folks as a result of this.
Considering some people are prepped enough t'ill naxx. I'd say yes. But I would've said the same thing for layering in the past.

Image    Image    Image
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

They're not going to be able to fix any of this. People are already geared to the teeth and rich. A handful of temporary bans doesn't fix anything.

Layering sucks and they weren't prepared for people using it.

Stfuppercut
Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.twitch.tv/skarmtank/clip/Co ... aterAliens
Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
They're not going to be able to fix any of this. People are already geared to the teeth and rich. A handful of temporary bans doesn't fix anything.
In other words it's permaban or bust?

Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 117
Alliance
Rogue
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Lendryn wrote:
4 years ago
teebling wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.twitch.tv/skarmtank/clip/Co ... aterAliens
Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
My heart says perma ban.
My brain says 1 month ban and removal of any and all gains caused by it.
Blizzard will probably give them a slap on the wrist

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Lendryn wrote:
4 years ago
Permanent bans for people playing the game that Blizzard gave them is way over the top. Maybe it was against the spirit of the terms of service, but we're not talking about hacking or botting or account stealing here... Just a bunch of people taking advantage of a broken system that tons of people warned Blizzard about months before the game even launched.

Remember from previous blue posts: layering isn't being abused, people who say they have bank accounts full of rare resources are lying. :lol:

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago

It sounds like people are using layers to camp instanced bosses as often as they want until they get the loot they're looking for.

Blizzard never raised the level cap past 40 during the beta testing. There wasn't any beta testing of any raid content, so this probably wouldn't be something they'd know about or see until after launch when people started beta testing live servers :lol:

edit: I don't want to spread misinformation. I was getting the impression this was being used in 40 man raids of MC and Onyxia, but I'm not sure about that. It looks like this was only being used for 5man raid bosses. I don't know, but either way level 40+ content was never tested during beta so I'm not surprised that stuff like this is still being found. Especially with a new feature as pervasive as layering.

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... urce=share

1 month ban + deletion of all items gained from exploiting.

Selexin
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Lendryn wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... urce=share

1 month ban + deletion all items gained from exploiting.
Worth noting that the month suspension listed was for the pending investigation. It could be a longer ban than 30 days.

Gallow
Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Worth noting that the month suspension listed was for the pending investigation. It could be a longer ban than 30 days.
That would be awesome, I thought that was the ban itself and that's how they worded it. Nice

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Someone allegedly received a 1 year ban for dungeon layer exploiting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... t/f0k5m9v/

Big if true. :lol:

Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

That has to be someone that got banned several times and abused hard this time. The account is now dead that's for sure

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde