EU Gandling
donator Posts: 1
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey!
I've recently read a few old posts where people who played on private servers explain that spamming battle shout is the best way to hold aggro for a tank in lower levels. After this i stumbled upon a post that covers the recent hotfix which apparently fixed a bug where shouts caused too much threat. Also in the actual game the tooltip for battle shout never said anything about causing threat.

How does this all work and is shout spamming a viable way to control aggro?

Alterac Valley
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 6
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Thats the Million dollar question. I have been trying to figure it out myself. I am a 60 Tank and constantly being told DEMO SHOUT SPAM... when you tell them they hot fixed it... they don't listen..

Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Get a threat meter and just try it, simple!

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It's Demo shout. It does generate threat because it debuffs the target. I couldn't tell you how much as my threat meter is still wonky. But, it's some for sure.

Arithil - Warrior Tank
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

More importantly, does SPAMMING it continue to build up threat indefinitely? Or does the game just check for the presence or absence of demo shout and add a little bit of threat accordingly?

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Alterac Valley
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 6
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Demo shout does not get you the most threat. Sunders does. Warriors cannot AOE Tank at this time. You will waste valuable rage trying to hold aggro with Demo shout..

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I've had mixed success spamming demo shout to hold aggro in the swarmy colonnade section of BRD. However if you really want area threat as a high level warrior there's no substitute for Goblin Sapper Charges. At lower levels it'll just kill everything :mrgreen:

55s in mats to avoid a wipe in any high level instance is easily worth the money.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 145
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Erik wrote:
4 years ago
Get a threat meter and just try it, simple!
This is not guaranteed to give you the answer. As far as I know the "amount" of threat caused is calculated by the addon based on information that is coded into it, as the game doesn't openly provide threat figures. The assumptions made by the coder of the addon are as good as your guess, I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On curseforge in Q&A it says:
"Q: Why isn't ClassicThreatMeter using the built-in threat API?
A: To answer simply, it can't! Blizzard added in a threat API in patch 3.0.2 for WotLK and has been in the game since, but it has been purposely removed for WoW Classic, which means we must rely on combat log parsing."

However, the combat log doesn't give threat. It's clever guesswork put into a threat library which translates the use of skills and spells into threat generation & is the basis for the addons.

Another edit: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Kenco%27s_research_on_threat

This is an interesting read concerning threat.

And yet another edit:

I love digging into this. For everyone interested in Threat Mechanics for warriors specifically, this has very recent information:
https://github.com/magey/classic-warrio ... -Mechanics

I wish I had found something for Feral druids :)

teebling Pippina
Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

source

Blizzard Entertainment
Hi All,

We have identified a fix for an issue that was causing Demoralizing Shout and Demoralizing Roar to generate too much threat when applied to multiple enemies. In addition, we’ve also identified a fix for a separate issue that was causing Battle Shout and most healing spells, effects, and buffs to incorrectly split the threat they generate between enemies that had members of the buffed party on their threat list.

Hotfixes for these issues are going to be deployed very soon, at which time all of these effects will match their functionality in the 1.12 reference client.

teebling
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

And when I first told Demo shout was too powerful in general chat during a convo about warriors, people said I was dumb and/or trolling. Even though I heard it from the guy who streamed the APES Rag kill.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 145
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The cool thing is, the way Threat Meters work, in order to find out that it was generating too much threat, you must specifically test for it.

I mean, sure you can say it "feels" too strong, but unless you put the numbers to the test, there's no way of knowing for sure.

Just goes to show how deep some people dive into this game.

Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I haven't followed any youtube videos or streams of classic since launch so I'm not plugged in with what those guys are doing. But I did notice many times when I hit demoralizing roar in bear form that I'd grab mobs that I had already lost agro on. It seemed like a pretty strong way to get AOE threat. This is my first time playing druid, so I didn't know that wasn't normal. I'm not gonna lose out on much with this anyway, already relying on maul and swipe instead.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
I haven't followed any youtube videos or streams of classic since launch so I'm not plugged in with what those guys are doing. But I did notice many times when I hit demoralizing roar in bear form that I'd grab mobs that I had already lost agro on. It seemed like a pretty strong way to get AOE threat. This is my first time playing druid, so I didn't know that wasn't normal. I'm not gonna lose out on much with this anyway, already relying on maul and swipe instead.
Yeah. Druids should still get multi-target threat on packs easier than warriors, though. Hell, makes bear druids relatively improved now, because they can still swipe it up for multi-target threat.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers