Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey, random question that I can't seem to find anything on:

What's the viability for a warrior tank to go 21/0/30 for a "Sweeping Tank" build for 5 mans? Charge, Pop Sweeping, Dance, /win?

Something like this: https://classicdb.ch/?talent#LVuxzhboZZxfzse0kV

Thanks!

Arithil - Warrior Tank
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So this would be for aoe'ing multiple mobs? Regardless, no need to put points in prot, especially if your are tanking dungeons and go the extra effort to get good gear.

Stfuppercut
Image    Image    Image
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
4 years ago
So this would be for aoe'ing multiple mobs? Regardless, no need to put points in prot, especially if your are tanking dungeons and go the extra effort to get good gear.
True. If its a 5 man you can tank dual wield, 2 hander, fury, prot, it doesnt matter. Its a 5 man. No need to spec for it. Just keep a loose set of gear around and tank when the opportunity comes up.

Doesnt matter if youre a resto druid, a prot paladin. Anything can tank 5 mans. They are 5 mans. BM hunters can tank every 5 man up to and including ZF with relative ease. Certain specs will do better than others, but 5 mans are pretty easy.

Which is why its silly to justify awful specs with their validity in 5 man dungeons... Anyone can complete these dungones as a tank. They are easy.

Caperfin Pippina
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 301
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I tried doing this the other day for SM since I'm leveling as pure arms!
I never had enough mana to charge > pop sweeping strike. Then I remembered that my charge is rank 1 :D
Now considering whether I should spend my gold on new ranks so I can do more things after a charge.... hmm...

<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde
Powered by https://classic.wowhead.com/item=9061/g ... ocket-fuel, our Fuel Rats go above and beyond to help out others.
Will you answer the call?
Guild Info ~ Stories ~ Discord
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Gallow wrote:
4 years ago
so I can do more things after a charge..
That's why I like the points in IC for the 6 rage. SS being a 30sec CD means using it every pull to generate threat on all targets immediately.

@Caperfin and @Stfuppercut, I'm aware you can 'effectively' tank 5-mans as any spec as a warrior. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "viable". I'm more so looking for those who have specifically looked in to or tested a similar build, for the sole purpose of being a late-game 5/10 man dungeon work horse for the guild and friends.

I plan on being in lots of U/LBRS, BRD, Strats and Scholos at 60 while farming gold and pre-raid BiS for myself and guildies. A spec like this seems to optimize AoE damage while maintaining strong survival. Combined with other enchants/mods/buffs, I'm hoping to make those 5-mans a breeze, not just "do-able".

Arithil - Warrior Tank
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Falcon wrote:
4 years ago
@Caperfin and @Stfuppercut, I'm aware you can 'effectively' tank 5-mans as any spec as a warrior. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "viable". I'm more so looking for those who have specifically looked in to or tested a similar build, for the sole purpose of being a late-game 5/10 man dungeon work horse for the guild and friends.

I plan on being in lots of U/LBRS, BRD, Strats and Scholos at 60 while farming gold and pre-raid BiS for myself and guildies. A spec like this seems to optimize AoE damage while maintaining strong survival. Combined with other enchants/mods/buffs, I'm hoping to make those 5-mans a breeze, not just "do-able".
Here's my 2 copper.

We know that a Warrior spec'd for PvP, solo content, or any other purpose can still handle 5 man dungeons with the appropriate gear and skill. Therefore, any points you put towards the purposes you've identified above will certainly not make you any worse off. You've got the additional threat from defiance, sweeping strikes for the AoE, and several other damage reduction talents in there. You're likely going to be able to tank those 5/10 mans more effectively than the typical Arms or Fury spec just by virtue of the fact that you've added Prot talents to the mix.

Now, you may find someone on this forum that has tried your spec (or similar) before and can provide feedback, but to be honest it's probably a long shot. Most players stick to conventional builds. You're probably the guy that's going to give us the feedback you've been looking for, and that's OK. The cookie cutter builds only became such after a feedback loop of experimentation and discussion, before their eventual promotion into "conventional build" status.

Give it a shot. :wink:

Falcon
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Falcon wrote:
4 years ago
This is quite a peculiar scenario and I LOVE IT!! I will look more into it when I get home. But Im guessing on 15 seconds fights Arms is good but anything higher and 1h Tfury is better? (Im assuming human w/Hungering Cold)

Image    Image    Image
Burning Steppes
donator Posts: 54
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Honestly I think you're going overkill on defense since your stated goal is 5/10 man workhorse. I recall being in a similar boat in vanilla, and I loved a 31/5/15 build. Sweeping strikes with MS was good for snap aggro off the bat, extra crit from fury, and defiance for threat. My main worry with the build you proposed is that there's no heavy hitting ability for your snap aggro. Not having a 31 point talent to take for your on use might bite you.

Falcon Pippina
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Zanthir wrote:
4 years ago
Not having a 31 point talent to take for your on use might bite you
Awesome feedback. Thank you!