Alliance
Rogue
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
That is what is popular in gaming nowadays.
If I was interested in what was popular in gaming nowadays then I wouldn't be spending 6 hours a day playing a game from 2004. I'm not playing Classic because all the cool kids are playing it, I'm playing it because I've been waiting for the game I used to like to come back for a decade.

I used to like the original game. I still do, but I used to, too.
I still play kotor, aoe2, lords of the realm 2, etc because id rather play old games instead of most modern trash.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
I do enjoy Classic. I am just saying that a good PvP system could add years of replayability to the game. I don't claim that the suggesions I have put forth are foolproof. However, I do think that something has to be added to PvP to keep it more playable.

The prevailing argument is that faction imbalance would ruin any World PvP system. However, even on servers that have faction imbalances there is still a lot of World PvP and truimphs on both sides. I just think that this is something that has to happen. Look at all the popular games nowadays. Fortnite, Overwatch, League of Legends, CS GO, DOTA 2. They all have competitive pvp systems with ratings and strucuture. I realize how challenging it is to have something like that in Classic WoW, due to the open world nature of the game. The questions is whether it is possible to have this in Classic WoW. If so, how? I am trying to figure that out.
I'm sorry I didn't really read this comment earlier, so I didn't really understand what you were suggesting. I think you're right.

I agree that we need more structure now, and I think the best way to make it competitive would be some type of team death match. This would be very similar to wpvp, but just in a controlled environment like some type of arena. That way we can keep things competitive, by making sure everyone fights in the same environment. Then we just add on a ranking system based on wins and losses. We could even make multiple versions for different sized teams to mix things up just like in the open world.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 12
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
The one thing that Classic WoW lacks is a competitive PvP system.
Yes, because it's World of Warcraft: Classic.
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
The dilemma is how do you make World PvP more structured and competitive?
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
How do you add strucuture to World PvP in Classic WoW?
Don't, or just play a different game other than World of Warcraft: Classic.
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
Do you turn each contested territory into a temporary open world battleground?
No.
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
What if Tanaris had objectives similar to Arathi Basin with a resource score?
What if the moon landing was a big hoax? We may never know.
RedridgeGnoll wrote:
4 years ago
Could you have a ranking system based on player performance qnd contribution in each battle?
No because then it would not be World of Warcraft: Classic.

I hope this answers your questions.
I get the whole Classic should be Classic thing, however the gaming industry has evolved over traditional MMO and for a game like this to keep competitive it will have to diverge in some way and what we all hope is it will make steps in the right direction.

Its same with every product out there in the world: one thing is to get the customers on board, another thing is to keep them. Unforunately and most likely you and I (sitting on a Classic forum) are not the majority of their customer representation base nor are they aiming for us.

That being said, Blizzard did a great job on starting Classic and they gave themselves another shot, but its still just a shot for a long term popular game that will engage new generations. Like it or not, my kid will shit the diper or cry and I will go offiline, thats not profitable.

How does this relate to the structured PvP? Answer is: Tournaments. Place where all the rock starts and idols appear to continously engage the crowd that will keep dreaming and playing to become them. Drakedog youtube clips don’t cut it, because they are not in control of the developers and the best way to do it is by having a controled competitive scene, but to have that there has to be structured PvP.

Now I agree Arena or BGs might not be the best concept, would love to see others.
In my ideal world, I’d love to have a ladder, that represents both solo PvP progression and team progression in some way.

Regardless of all, they will run into the same issues they ran into 15 years ago, one of them will be the demand for structured PvP and a competitive scene, the questions is only how will they solve it, Classic+, TBC, Arena? I don’t know, probably they don’t know at this point also, but will have to face it.

Fenn [Firemaw EU]

donator Posts: 285
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I agree with you. However, I am convinced that bringing Arena to Classic WoW won't work out well. The World PvP in Classic WoW is what distinguishes it from the expansions. it is important that the emphasis remains on World PvP. A lot of players feel that you can't have structured World PvP due to faction or player imbalances. I am convinced otherwise. They key is to not have the factions directly keep against eachother, but rather for all player on both factions to compete against eachother. The first step is to separate the Honor system into Battlegrounds and World PvP rankings. This will allow players to rank up solely doing one or ther other.

f3nn
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 88
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I would love to see more complex wpvp in wow, with actually contested zones and wpvp objectives and lockdowns, but wow has never been a mass pvp game; it’s not like Warhammer Online for classes to have specific pvp synergy.

Any discussion is pointless, really; all creative decisions would be taken by production and design teams and those have decided for a long time that wow is a pve game.

In the last expansion, BfA, they had the chance to create something unique with warfronts and what did they do? PvE BGs.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 165
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It has no air raids, droppings. Hence it is flawed!!

Sweet jesus and all that is holy (except for Uncle Ganus) Its Classic!! There isnt a package deal were take your pick in what you do or do not like.

Noone is putting is 9mm to your head and forces you to play classic. Pretty much take it or leave it.

EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 12
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

wonder how hard or good would it be to make a party based duel, so that us 3 in party can actually duel you 3 in party anywhere on the map?

Fenn [Firemaw EU]