Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

really though like sure i get that being a male seems to be the default for most people like in general chat and what not youd be like he this or he that, without seeing someones character but in dungeon groups together when you can see the toon is a female, ive been called him or sir so many times when theyre right in front of me.
and i know that having a female toon doesnt mean that youre actually female. i have a lot of male alts myself just cause i like the way some of them look way better than the female models. but it's almost as if people really believe girls don't exist on the internet still.

i'm not really too annoyed nor do i bother correcting people unless theyre guildies but its just something ive been noticing happening a lot. not just me but to others too.

Geira

Shaman Enhancement
US Myzrael
donator Posts: 16
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

its just cuz 80+% of the playerbase is male... you probably know the "girls dont play WoW" meme.. even though I know multiple who do.... it sucks but He seems to be a default throughout the internet... i use They instead whenever i am unsure though... change is often slow............

Demogran
hi im biggle
NA Old Blanchy HORDE !!! Tauren Shaman!!!!
GM of Best Bro Winners! (the best guild on the server)
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I usually intuitively refer to the gender of the character, not all the time but still.

Alnir Falcon res
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 147
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'm just going by the gender of the character they play. Their problem if they get offended or annoyed by that.

Alnir Falcon
Stranglethorn Vale
donator Posts: 43
Human
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Like most people here have already said, most people just assume since the ratio is about 80/20 male/female.

I've found however that sometimes you can be referred to as a she in chat if you have a feminine name. I often play female characters and rarely correct people if they misgender me; I'll let the rude awakening happen when I join Discord for raids :lol:

Paladin Protection
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 114
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

There's no neutral word (a commonly accepted one anyway) to describe a person whose gender is unknown, so the word he has the highest probability of being correct. Simple as that really. At least to me.

Warrior Fury
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 31
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Silly undead, there are no girls on the internet.

"Einstein would turn over in his grave;
Not only does God play dice,
But the dice are loaded."

- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Looking God In The Eye"
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I usually call people their Class. I dont even use their ingame name. Its usually interpreted as disrespectful or anti social but it gets the job done. "Mage, sheep moon".

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

We did a poll here last year and there were like 10% girls on barrens chat if I remember right.

I guess it’s just an assumption everyone makes.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The only time I assume another player is female is when its a female character with a feminine, RP-sounding name. And even then I'm not totally sure.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

atkars wrote:
4 years ago
I'm just going by the gender of the character they play. Their problem if they get offended or annoyed by that.
Exactly this, especially on an RP server

Tinyhoof
Arithil - Warrior Tank
Darkshore
US Stalagg
donator Posts: 8
Alliance
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Holyfrog wrote:
4 years ago
There's no neutral word (a commonly accepted one anyway) to describe a person whose gender is unknown, so the word he has the highest probability of being correct. Simple as that really. At least to me.
Singular "they" is acceptable.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Because most players are male, why would you expect people to do anything else lol.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

The female players in my guild almost all have extremely girly-sounding names: Fieromommy, Ivyfbaby, MeenusMiss, et cetera. Others like Codex, Moryella, and Kahotep will just announce in guild chat that they're girls without anyone asking. Male players seem more likely to keep their gender unknown until they speak up in discord. Ergo, everyone is male until proven otherwise.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Thunder Bluff
US Rattlegore
donator Posts: 20
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It’s funny most of the female players I’ve come across actually play male models.
I’ve come to just never assume who is what and go by there class instead as Stfuppercut said.

Paladin Protection
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 167
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Moocifer wrote:
4 years ago
It’s funny most of the female players I’ve come across actually play male models.
I’ve come to just never assume who is what and go by there class instead as Stfuppercut said.
People keep saying this but i've never witnessed it yet. To me a female player playing a male character is a unicorn im still hunting for and hopefully one day I do find!

Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

You see, the thing is still going on in 2019 because alienating women / girls is kind of intented - even subconscious - in internet games because games in general are one of the top escapist locations / mancaves.

You don't expect to meet women there and some people are really hurt about women finding out their 'save spaces' so they are quite hostile and offensive.
The few black sheeps who offensively use being female to scam whiteknights and boys to shower them in gifts don't help the case - some people even don't want any females in the guild because they fear the drama.

I played with a dozen of 'girlgamers' (most of them were women btw :P) over the years and they were quite a versatile bunch, I couldn't describe 'the female gamer' from that sample size.

Still, most of them were disgusted by the things people said to them once they unveiled themselves and some even applied strategies like never come
out unless you trust your guildmate or core member to shut up about it.

I am not really experienced in how to help to change that, but I think reporting rude players is always a good start.
Also I go by the simple rule: don't say anything you don't wanna hear people say to you in a prison cell ;-)

StrayLilCat Geira Tinyhoof
Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

FTHforever wrote:
4 years ago
Still, most of them there disgusted by the things people said to them once they unveiled themselves and some even applied strategies like never come
out unless you trust your guildmate or core member to shut up about it.
lmao, yeah, thats probably one of the reasons why most of us just don't say anything unless we're actually in a guild on voice chat or whatever. it just pisses me off how guys can be about this shit still, acting like 14 year olds its obnoxious as hell when most of them are probably adults by now.
like yesterday in barrens chat (the actual zone not here lol) there was a classic: "Press 1 if you hate women" and then a barrage of 1s spammed onto the screen like lol really?

StrayLilCat

Druid Balance
donator Posts: 111
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I haven't seen such thing yet. It's probably some pranksters or basement dwellers who see women only at Wendy's. However I must admit that Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn and other female 'gamers'/'developers' (this second one is a fat one) don't give gamer girls good publicity.

Assuming the other player is male is just a matter of probability. If I see a female char, there's 1:10 chance it's a woman so I'd rather use he/him or else people will laugh or even worse, roll with it. There's been plenty people claiming to be women just to get all the benefits from 'beta' males online.

In all honesty, if I was a woman, I wouldn't come out. People will give you special treatment regardless of your intentions and desires. I had female WoW players who did and they regretted it.

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

d3aths wrote:
4 years ago
lmao, yeah, thats probably one of the reasons why most of us just don't say anything unless we're actually in a guild on voice chat or whatever. it just pisses me off how guys can be about this shit still, acting like 14 year olds its obnoxious as hell when most of them are probably adults by now.
like yesterday in barrens chat (the actual zone not here lol) there was a classic: "Press 1 if you hate women" and then a barrage of 1s spammed onto the screen like lol really?
Yes, it was worse on the pserver I might have played on, met alot if actually convinced 'incel poster boys' there.

Playing with some spaniards on Firemaw was also pretty bad in that regard. 'Hola chika, let me drink your ***********' and shit. Never kicked people so fast.

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I have never understood these jokes towards women. They are not even jokes cuz they are opposite of funny. Apart from the gender ratio difference there is nothing more to say regarding gaming.

d3aths StrayLilCat
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

FTHforever wrote:
4 years ago
You see, the thing is still going on in 2019 because alienating women / girls is kind of intented - even subconscious - in internet games because games in general are one of the top escapist locations / mancaves.

You don't expect to meet women there and some people are really hurt about women finding out their 'save spaces' so they are quite hostile and offensive.
This is SJW psychosis/religion with no basis in reality. Anita Sarkeesian and people like her are not reliable sources of information.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Druid Feral
donator Posts: 49
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

d3aths wrote:
4 years ago
really though like sure i get that being a male seems to be the default for most people like in general chat and what not youd be like he this or he that, without seeing someones character but in dungeon groups together when you can see the toon is a female, ive been called him or sir so many times when theyre right in front of me.
and i know that having a female toon doesnt mean that youre actually female. i have a lot of male alts myself just cause i like the way some of them look way better than the female models. but it's almost as if people really believe girls don't exist on the internet still.

i'm not really too annoyed nor do i bother correcting people unless theyre guildies but its just something ive been noticing happening a lot. not just me but to others too.
"He" is the default pronoun for the vast majority of online interactions, and written works when the person's sex is unknown. (And yes, this is grammatically correct to do.) And from experience on the internet, that person behind the screen has statistically been more likely to be a man than a woman. In gaming, this is typically validated by Voice Chat.

That being said, you don't see it's usage as much when opt-out voice chat is used, however it's more likely that a feminine voice will sound more like that of a child's at first.

Part of this is assuming that a young, higher pitched voice is likely to be a minor. That assumption is typically done in good faith with community members, as it avoids verbal interactions that could make the adult male party out to be a pedophile.

"All boys are boys. All girls are boys. All children are FBI Agents."

While I understand the frustration of it all, it's both up to you to tell them that you are one. It's not really the responsibility of others until you tell them otherwise.

"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"

That all being said, I know the more 'progressive' default is "They/Them". It may be better option, however it isn't the habitual default for the majority of people. (Old habits die hard)
Faendor wrote:
4 years ago
They are not even jokes cuz they are opposite of funny.
I assume you're one of the 1% of the audience who disliked Dave Chapelle's: Sticks & Stones special on Rotten Tomatoes :|

Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
This is SJW psychosis/religion with no basis in reality. Anita Sarkeesian and people like her are not reliable sources of information.
You sure about that? Because it sounds like you are deflecting.

I am not into any of the camps, but I am a man and I understand the reasoning too keep the women's out.

StrayLilCat
Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

When I was in grade school they pushed "him or her" as proper and "they" as incorrect. If you've read anything that does this you know how tedious it gets.

Women seem to think this dilemma only hurts them when it's extremely embarrassing for us men to treat someone like a woman only to find out they're packing some secret sausage.

d3aths