Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So as I was admiring Darkshore with the modern graphics engine today, I started wondering if it is possible/legal to modify textures and models in WoW like you would do in a game like Skyrim. I probably enjoyed modding Skyrim almost as much as playing it, and one of the quickest ways to make that game beautiful and more immersive was just slapping more realistic textures on things, especially in the wilderness. Anyone have any knowledge about doing this in WoW? Is it possible? Or am I just going to somehow get myself banned?

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 117
Alliance
Rogue
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It is a bannable offense

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Instinctz wrote:
4 years ago
It is a bannable offense
Wonder why that is? It doesn't give any kind of advantage as far as gameplay. I could see if there was a way to make people not stealthed or something stupid like that but idk how putting higher resolutions on the textures in the environment hurts anything.

Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Instinctz wrote:
4 years ago
It is a bannable offense
Do you have a source for this? Either bluepost or something in the TOS?

Legitimate question. I used to swap textures all the time back in Vanilla. I lost all the screenshots from it, but back in the day all I wanted was a Kodo mount but the problem is I've been (up till now) a lifelong gnome warrior and we couldn't get Kodo mounts back then. So my solution was to replace the texture and model of the mechanostrider with a kodo. So for a good chunk of Vanilla back in ~2005 I had a Kodo mount, at least on my own screen.

From my understanding this was fine with Blizzard as long as it wasn't being used to exploit PVP. I don't remember what the tool was, and it probably doesn't work with 1.13 anyway. But the old Warden didn't seem to have a problem with what I did.

Again I'm not saying it's fine with Blizzard - I just seem to remember reading posts on the official forms where Blizzard was okay with it. I wanna see if you have a hard source for this or if you're just assuming it is a bannable offense because you think it would be.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Do you have a source for this? Either bluepost or something in the TOS?
I shouldn't have been so lazy and just did a search first. I just answered my own question in like 15 seconds... Guess I was just lucky back in the day. I could have sworn Blizzard used to be okay with this but my memory sucks and they probably never have been.

Information about this being against the rules:

link
 Blizzard Entertainment
We recently completed a wave of suspensions for World of Warcraft accounts that were found to be operating third-party software that undermines the security of the World of Warcraft client. Reverse engineering and bypassing security protocols that safeguard against client modification is a clear violation of our Terms of Service, and we regularly take action against such behavior.

Many of the suspensions issued were for 180 days, as the exploit we detected allows for very malicious activities such as gameplay automation or rotation/interrupt botting. Upon further review, we found that some suspended accounts appeared to be only using the detected exploit to do client-side character model alteration. That is an activity that we would prefer to respond to with a warning, rather than a suspension, this time. As a result, we have reversed all of the suspensions issued in this action.

The use of third party software that modifies the World of Warcraft game client is against our Terms of Service. We expect players to remove such third party software, or their accounts will be subject to further action. Any future use of software that bypasses the security of the game client, regardless of intention or gameplay advantage, will be detected and sanctioned with increased penalties.
Seems like they could ban you for this and sometimes they don't, but it is indeed against the TOS.

Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I guess clearly I'm not fully understanding how it works, from the language in the blue post there I'm not surprised that whatever the old software was could earn you a ban. I wish they would release an official tool or something to allow it.

Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 177
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Okay okay..hear me out. I wouldn't mind updated character models. However, only if they add an option to enable/disable it. So people who prefer the old ones can stick with them.

Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 301
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think its bannable because you could for instance make walls invisible and that would give you an edge.

Selexin
<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde