donator Posts: 2
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hey gang! I've been lurking around here a while but never had a reason to post anything until now! I hope this doesn't come across as too advertisy but I really want you all to have a chance to check this out before classic releases.

Over the last few weeks I've been developing an addon and I just managed to get it done in time! I was only making it for personal use but since classic launch only comes once I would feel like a big fat jerk if I didn't share this so others can record their journeys from the start. What I have is Tale, an addon that records your character's history in a log. At the moment I record the following events along with extra information like quest IDs and mob names depending on the event:

• Deaths
  • Level ups
  • Quest turn ins
  • Mob / Boss / Player kills
  • Battleground losses and wins
  • Periodic location info (every X seconds)

This is all compiled into a log file which can be used for all kinds of purposes. Some ideas I have are location history in the style of Google timelines or a map of all your PvP kills (or deaths). The neat thing is that anyone can parse the log and do whatever they want with it. You could do more advanced stuff like calculate the amount of time you spent in dungeons while leveling or the exact number of Murlocs you've killed. The sky's kinda the limit.

As a proof of concept I ran around doing some quests on retail and made a few maps to show off the basic functionality. If you want to get the addon for yourself you can pick it up on github: https://github.com/albinso/Tale or curseforge: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tale

Tale is based on Memoria so it can also take screenshots on most log events to complement the logs.

centurion res Czar Gensei Lendryn Ezekeel
Elwynn Forest
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 20
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This looks very interesting from a data point of view. Thanks!

Warrior | Rogue | Priest on Faerlina

beware the might of the slavic selodka
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This is super, super cool. I was just thinking earlier that, while I'm glad there aren't any achievements, what sucks is the character stats that come with it, like number of critters killed or your number of deaths. This is super neat. I'll see about adding it in.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 2
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Glad you like it! I'm a bit surprised it works as well as it does in classic. I figured there'd be some compatibility issue I didn't think about but it all seems fine.

Also, for those who aren't into manual installs I finally got approval on Curseforge so you can pick it up from there now. https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tale

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Grabbed it, eager to see what it can do.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Thanks for the tip!

Image    Image    Image
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 18
Night Elf
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I think it's one of the most intriguing addon ideas I have ever seen. I spent the last year analyzing and visualizing individuals'/masses' spatiotemporal data, and this got me excited. I will definitely try this and I might even try to fool around with the raw data if I can find some time. One idea that came into my mind is to track emotes as well, so that the logs could also show how we were feeling at a certain point. :biggrin: