donator Posts: 20
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Come Classic I will start playing on a roleplay server for the first time (EU).
But before I start and make a fool of myself I was wondering a few things.
Primarily how the group finding would go.
Normaly you would just use the chat and type LFG for DM, or any quest you want to do.
Does this work the same on a RP server. Or would you have to make more of a text about it.
Like, I have been given the task to take out Lord Whats his name. Are there any adventurers that would Like to join my quest?

I have made my character and a backstory for him. But am wondering if RP is really my cup of tea. I have been wanting to try it for a long time.

Zacheous
Undercity
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 36
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I am new to RP aswell, but I've read a post about the official RP-Ruleset (a few weeks ago, can't find the source) and it says /say and the /yell channels are restricted to rp. Other channels can be used (not a must) for OOC (out of character) talk too. But it must be game related. Of course guild, group /... channels have their own ruleset.

Zandalar Tribe rp-pvp
Horde
Gravediggers
Thunder Bluff
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 37
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

As it was said by Biomasse, the big channels like trade, lfg are always OOC and to my experience so was general chat. Very few people will RP in dungeons anyway so if you're worried about that you're fine.
It's usually just /say /yell /emote that's in character.

Also just because it's an RP realm you don't have to RP only if you would like to. You should just always respect others who do.

fendor

Zandalar Tribe EU
Tinytusk - Troll Shaman
Zinnia - Undead Mage
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Trade Chat and LFG Chat are not in character. It would be highly impractical for someone to do everything in Trade chat as "Forsooth! I require the talents of Ironforge's most skilled tailor. I require him to craft myself a fancy shirt and would enjoy his company in front of the bank."

Basically you are 100% fine to not RP on an RP server. You don't have to. But just don't disrupt others doing it, and don't walk around with an immersion breaking name like "Istabyoulolz"

Pippina
Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I put a couple toons on the RP server because of the population. I'll be soloing so I'm not gong to be getting into the RP aspect but I'm not going to disrupt it either. Just has a lower population and I want to compare behavior on an RP server to a Normal PVE server. I don't PVP so those are out for me. Glad you asked your questions because I've never RP'd either.

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Roleplay is never forced, and big general chat channels are never "in character."

Roleplay is only really ever done in /say with other likeminded people, and you will notice when people are holding a roleplay session in the world or not. Roleplay only really happens when people have reached an agreement over in whisper/guild chat/other RP designated channels.

A roleplay realm is like a normal PvE realm. It's just easier for roleplayers to find each other on there, and you will have the potential of seeing other people roleplaying in the world.

If you happen to see other people roleplaying in the world. It's always nice if you don't suddenly interrupt them by being a nuisance (aka, stand on them with your mounts, etc.) Just show normal courtesy.

If you want to join the RP, just whisper one of the players and ask if that is possible.

Winterspring
donator Posts: 117
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just remember to have some sort of an RP-ish name, else they'll get triggered and mass-report you until Blizzard finally re-names your character something relevant for RPers.

Human Warrior - Shazzrah Firemaw PVP
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gensei wrote:
4 years ago
Forsooth! I require the talents of Ironforge's most skilled tailor. I require him to craft myself a fancy shirt and would enjoy his company in front of the bank.
I would 100% play an RP server if everything was mandatory in character all the time just to see that in trade chat :lol:

Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I played on an RP-PvP server on retail for a while called Emerald Dream (US). I never RP'd. In fact, the entire guild I was in didn't RP. Hell, I think half of the server didn't RP. It's not required that you have to RP when you're on an RP server. It's a thing some people on the server do with their friends, or out in the open for fun, but no one is obligated. General /1 /2 chat is usually same as it is on any other server. So nothing really changes. Only change is RP can be found if you look for it.

Pippina
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

A lot of guilds on Moon Guard are still hardcore about this, and insist on doing an "in character" interview with you before they'll let you into the guild. But that's just Moon Guard, not all RP realms, and Blizzard itself doesn't enforce a damn thing.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
donator Posts: 20
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ariba wrote:
4 years ago
Just remember to have some sort of an RP-ish name, else they'll get triggered and mass-report you until Blizzard finally re-names your character something relevant for RPers.
First I wanted to make a hunter, his name is Kenaij. Which means Flat Lands. I created a little story behind it of how his farther killed a bear and the youngling became my friend. His name would be Koda (meaning Little Bear, or Friend). Total ripoff of Brother Bear ofcourse, but it was somethng.
But the character that is reserved with the name was made a Druid. Might play him. But still I`m not sure about it. Whether or not I like druids.