donator Posts: 6
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

G'day! Total noob here, brand new to WoW and really looking forward to the launch of classic.

Anyhoo, my experienced counterparts are telling me that Engineering is the go-to profession for me but that it isn't worth starting until end game/post lvl 60. They state that the cost to level it is too great and it is better to wait.

I'm just not seeing that anywhere else as I dive in to guides and youtubes, is it true that it is best to wait until post lvl 60 to begin working on Engineer?

Warrior Protection
donator Posts: 49
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

You can start it whenever you want, just the thought is that since it's largely a money sink and not a money earner (most Engineering goods can only be used by other Engineers, so mostly just stuff they can already make for themselves), it's generally better to focus on professions that'll make you money during the leveling process so you can pay for your mount, abilities, etc.

ESLmakeNOISE
Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 48
Horde
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I will be getting it as soon as possible because I want to practise using the items on my way to 60, in particular I want to get a feel for using grenades.

If you are rolling on a PvP server there is every reason to take engi - you cannot avoid open world conflicts - and having a grenade or a sapper charge can make the difference. Also the cost to level it isn't that much if you take mining and make sure to spend some time farming ores.

What's best will depend on how you want to play, are you rushing to 60 or taking it easy? Do you want to PvP? Are you going to be making money from other professions too which will help? There isn't a one size fits all approach here.

Gandling EU
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ESLmakeNOISE wrote:
4 years ago
... is it true that it is best to wait until post lvl 60 to begin working on Engineer?
Yes. This is definitively true. Unless leveling proffesions adds to your personal experience of fun which can not be measured by others.

No profession is worthwhile starting before 60 from a value perspective. Time not at 60 is time lost. The exception is typically skinning which actually earns a significant portion of gold and wont interrupt leveling speed.

From a value standpoint, dont waste your time leveling Engi as this can be VERY easily and quickly achieved at 60. In fact, in the case of engineering, the quicker you get to 60, the quicker you can turn around and purchase all of the mats to level Engi. The influx of material supply will be MASSIVE on the fresh launch of a server and demand will be incredibly low. In many cases you will be able to purchase many mats for their vendor price off of the AH as the median player level will be very low. The quicker you get to 60 and start buying the mats, the cheaper those mats will be.

The caveat is, everyone is special and take your time smell the roses good things come to those who wait vanilla was meant to be enjoyed and you can only enjoy it by playing slowly and dont ruin your experience with min/maxing the game is 15 years old dont rush it only poopsock sweaty neckbeards have goals in video games rawr the turtle wins the race drive slow and enjoy the scenery - drive fast and join the scenery slow down in life; live, breathe, and learn; take a look around you whenever you have time and never forget everything and every person that has the least place within your heart If people just took it a day at a time, they'd be a lot happier live love laugh The slower you go, the farther you will be Slow fires will smolder for a long time make haste slowly ... Bla bla bla.

ESLmakeNOISE
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
donator Posts: 6
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Great! Thank you all for your perspectives, sounds like I will wait on engineering until 60.