View results
Poll  •  2 gathering proffs or 1 crafting proff?
donator Posts: 20
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hi,

I`m going to main a hunter and am debating whether I should take 2 gathering proffs (skinning and prob. herb). Or if I`m going to add Leatherworking to skinning. I will also level the 3 secondary proffs alongside the 2 main proffs.
I`m going to take it slow and also take time to keep my proffs upto my level.
All I want is to have enough gold to buy a mount at 40 while having all my proffs at a good level. (200+)

Can I do this with leveling Leatherworking? I wont be buying mats (is the plan) and will be farming everything myself as much as possible.

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Personally I would go Skin/Leather, which seems like your end game.
So why not lvl them both as you level because you can craft gear for your hunter.

You should get 100g by lvl 40.
I did and i was bad at the game, meaning i didnt watch my gold that well and i didnt sell anything on the AH.
I made it from quests, dungeons and vendor corpse loot

Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |
Darnassus
donator Posts: 6
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gathering will always be a good way to get money, but are you planning to focus on professions at all at 60? Personally, I'm going Skinning/Leatherworking from the beginning.

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

In those first few weeks of release, every zone is going to have like 500 players competing for the same 2 Peacebloom nodes, and whoever manages to get to them (hint: it won't be you) won't be able to sell them on the AH because nobody will have the money to buy them.

LW all the way.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
In those first few weeks of release, every zone is going to have like 500 players competing for the same 2 Peacebloom nodes, and whoever manages to get to them (hint: it won't be you) won't be able to sell them on the AH because nobody will have the money to buy them.

LW all the way.
This is pretty much why I'm going to skip professions until lvl 60.

Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago

LW all the way.
This is pretty much why I'm going to skip professions until lvl 60.
Only herbalism, mining, and the professions that depend on herbalism and mining are really in the "skip until you hit 60" category. Cloth and leather are harvested from mobs, which are more than plentiful, so tailors and leatherworkers will have a field day. Enchanting is iffy; I plan to put it on a bank alt with the possibility of ascending that bank alt to a sixth main.

My reputation is clean.
Feralas
EU Mograine
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Since you are going to play hunter, you'll have https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=5118/ ... he-cheetah. With this in mind, getting a mount at 40 isn't going to make a huge impact. It's really neat to have the mount though, but there are a few ways you can get some money with Leatherworking as well!

If you are planning on going Alliance, you can make https://classic.wowhead.com/item=3719/hillmans-cloak for https://classic.wowhead.com/quest=565/b ... -fur-cloak which can generate some income. I also remember https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=7151/ ... -shoulders used to sell like hotcakes, but that might no longer be the case.

If you like tinkering with professions, you could pick Leatherworking at a later point on your hunter or on an alt. :smile:

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago

LW all the way.
Dynamic respawns and layering should make that less of an issue.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... /245750/73
 Blizzard Entertainment
After Stress Test 2, we were as concerned as many of you were about the inability to find enough spawns in the starting zones, so we double-checked our spawn logic, and it turns out there was a bug.

In the original 1.12 data, different spawn regions have different thresholds at which automatic respawning is triggered, but the bug was causing it to ignore these population thresholds. This affects the starting zones more than other zones because they have very aggressive thresholds for triggering respawns, to make sure that you can always progress through your first introduction to the game.

As you level up throughout the later zones, the respawn thresholds aren’t as aggressive, and you start having to compete more in higher level zones. We have verified that we’ve correctly reproduced the 1.12 spawn rates and thresholds throughout the game now, and while the respawn rates you see in Northshire aren’t the same as they are in Un’Goro, they will both be accurate to patch 1.12.

Thanks so much for your feedback, and for helping us find and fix this bug!
 Blizzard Entertainment
The same spawn logic applies to mineral nodes, creatures, herbs, etc. Spawn regions can overlap one another, so that creatures and nodes of different types behave differently in the same physical space, and individual spawns, can all have custom overrides. We’re using all the original data to control this behavior.

Aubz Hunter
Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Dynamic respawns and layering should make that less of an issue.
Unless "Dynamic respawns and layering" means "the Cataclysm node locations and respawn rates", it's still going to be a big problem :lol:

But since I'll be leveling a troll miner and tauren herbalist, I guess I'll know for sure in a week :)

Spelevink

My reputation is clean.
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm not saying problem solved, but at the same time I'm thinking along the lines of this: if something is harder to get, there is less of it, and it should cost more. I'm assuming that if everybody runs skinning, then leather will flood the auction hall and be worth a lot less while keeping my bags stuffed full. Seems like herbing and mining would give me a better return on bag space used.

But even as I type this I think about how many different types of herbs I run across, and the variety of different junk that comes out of mining nodes. Different gems, types of stones, etc. I'm probably overthinking this. That crap will fill my bags just as fast, if not faster, because I can't stack different item types. At least skinning pretty much yields like two different options for any given zone, at least early on.

Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
I'm assuming that if everybody runs skinning, then leather will flood the auction hall
Skinners won't be dumping it on the AH. They'll be vendoring it.

My reputation is clean.
Elwynn Forest
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 20
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Seems that its not optimal to run dual gathering unless you are gold-making post 60. For leveling its def skin/lw or, maybe, herb/alch. I say herb/alch since its a good pick due too many people hyperfocused on the vendoring income from skinning. I am personally going herb/alch since I dont think rerolling is a good usage of my time if I will ding 100g at 40 anyhow with autoloot on.

Warrior | Rogue | Priest on Faerlina

beware the might of the slavic selodka
Druid Restoration
donator Posts: 8
Orc
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Nothing is as easy to farm as today, I don't think for a very long time anything will be underpriced. Even gatherers will have to save some of those resources in bank for future crafting professions. Most materials will be traded within guilds. And the rest will be on Auction House.

I will start with gather only proffs for easy golds, save some mats later for level60 when I want a real profession.

donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I wouldn't go near a gathering prof that requires you to locate nodes in the beginning days or weeks of this game. There are so many people focused on only gathering profs to make money that you will be hard pressed to get to them first. Me, I'm doing tailoring and skinning to avoid potential node wars and tailoring will benefit my Lock. I highly recommend leveling a prof that is beneficial to your toon's class as you level. The game was designed so you can benefit from professions as you level, not just sell crap. Give it a try.