Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

From today's AMA:

"On the most popular servers, such as Herod and Shazzrah, we are currently estimating lengthy queue times - up to several hours or more in certain instances. That is why we strongly encourage players to use the name reservation period to transfer their characters and their guilds to lower pop realms." -Chromschi

I know some are assuming that queues will go fast because name reservations went fast. Definitely not the case.

Stalagg is already high and pushing full. Might keep bouncing along to Skeram, lol. Hmmm....

What about you?

Arithil - Warrior Tank
Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I mean I dont want to be on a server that has queues of hours as stated above.
I am not 18 anymore and can wait hours to play...the time spent in queues may be the same amount of time i planned on playing that evening...so i wont be able to play...i know i want a server with a good community and population so it wont feel dead but if i cant play what is the point lol

Plan on joining a server that is not too full, if one exist by launch but I wont really play till thursday so maybe something happens by then

Falcon fendor
Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It looks like they are considering allowing character transfers if the populations get too big and stay too big for too long. I'd still recommend not rolling on Herod, for example, but if you get on a server that ends up unplayable it looks like there could be some transfer options available after launch.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think they're still lowballing their expected numbers. Obviously, none of us are in the server room looking at the data, but I feel like it's safer to have realms up pre-emptively than have to throw them into service after shit already has hit the fan.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Here's their official response about this today:

> Do you have a contingency plan to deal with a larger-than-expected population? Suppose as many people create characters in the 24 hours before and after launch as have done so already -- how quickly will you be able to add new servers?

Blizzard Entertainment
We have contingency plans in place to bring up additional realms quickly if needed. We may also integrate character transfers (this ultimately became a service in original WoW.)

As you can imagine, it's difficult for us to gauge how many people will come to play Classic and stay on to experience max-level content. Ultimately, we want to see realms with healthy stable populations so we'll try to match demand without inadvertently creating low population realms in the process.
They've said a few different variations about this, too. They seem to be concerned about creating low population realms that will die off.

I think worst case, launch will be a bit bumpy but it seems like the long-term health of the servers are their primary goal and I think this is a good thing.

Falcon MeatLumps mwaf
Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm not going to change now I'm sticking with Shazzrah, people dont want to change to low pop realms because theyre low pop realms

Winterspring
donator Posts: 117
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Sticking with Shazzrah, of course. I assume most people will stay, especially the ones with "odd" names and such. Probably and hopefully won't be a nightmare to login come launch.

Human Warrior - Shazzrah Firemaw PVP
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Sticking with Stalagg and hoping it doesn't get bumped to full

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 177
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I might have panicked. I now have Stalagg, Skeram and Blaumeux
:cry: :cry: :sad: :sad:

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Knoxtane wrote:
4 years ago
And what you've done now is contribute +1 to three separate realms. If you have 3 names on one server, Blizzard knows you can only play one of them at a time and you count as one person to one server. If you have names scattered across 3 different servers, they can't guess which one you're going to use so you effectively count as 3 people toward their total realm counts. Not to rag on you specifically, just pointing out the effect of putting names on 3 servers at once.

How many people have done this? We don't know. At least some. A lot? Maybe.

What % of the population of these servers are all real? In your own case, you exist on 3 separate servers but will only play on 1. Which means you're taking up 3 times as much space towards the server populations as you should. Again I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong... but we have to acknowledge that there's a portion of people all doing the same thing. The 'real' population of these servers could come down as people can't play 3 different servers all at the same time.

So just take a deep breath - let's let everything settle down and see what happens once we're in :lol:

Hunter Edaewen
Blasted Lands
donator Posts: 204
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Knoxtane wrote:
4 years ago
And what you've done now is contribute +1 to three separate realms. If you have 3 names on one server, Blizzard knows you can only play one of them at a time and you count as one person to one server. If you have names scattered across 3 different servers, they can't guess which one you're going to use so you effectively count as 3 people toward their total realm counts. Not to rag on you specifically, just pointing out the effect of putting names on 3 servers at once.

How many people have done this? We don't know. At least some. A lot? Maybe.

What % of the population of these servers are all real? In your own case, you exist on 3 separate servers but will only play on 1. Which means you're taking up 3 times as much space towards the server populations as you should. Again I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong... but we have to acknowledge that there's a portion of people all doing the same thing. The 'real' population of these servers could come down as people can't play 3 different servers all at the same time.

So just take a deep breath - let's let everything settle down and see what happens once we're in :lol:
I've secured the same name on 3 servers due to server pop so I can swap on the fly depending on the queue and what not.

It's their own fault really for allowing it. Secure the name where it makes sense and watch closer to launch whats going to happen with the realms.

Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Tec wrote:
4 years ago
I've secured the same name on 3 servers due to server pop so I can swap on the fly depending on the queue and what not.

It's their own fault really for allowing it. Secure the name where it makes sense and watch closer to launch whats going to happen with the realms.
I'm not really assigning fault or blame, Blizz lets you do this all you want. My point is that these server populations are inflated a bit by people reserving names on multiple places. Once people pick a server for realsies then they won't be playing on the others that they're counted on towards population counts and they won't be contributing to the queues and whatnot. So unless blizzard is taking to the forums and starts yelling at people to get off specific servers (looking at you Herod, lol), don't worry about populations being high or full.

Blasted Lands
donator Posts: 204
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Tec wrote:
4 years ago

I'm not really assigning fault or blame, Blizz lets you do this all you want. My point is that these server populations are inflated a bit by people reserving names on multiple places. Once people pick a server for realsies then they won't be playing on the others that they're counted on towards population counts and they won't be contributing to the queues and whatnot. So unless blizzard is taking to the forums and starts yelling at people to get off specific servers (looking at you Herod, lol), don't worry about populations being high or full.
Sure, I just expected people to claim the same name on 3 servers or claim rare ones on a server to sell or brag about.

Herod and Shazz are both going to be a cluster alike, we're not even launched and they have "several hours" of queue waiting.
However, High pop ones right now could turn into the same come launch, which is why you might as well secure some around if you have the luxury of selecting a server on the go. Inflation won't matter as much then.

In addition I reserved to keep my options open for a (possible) server transfer when and if the time comes.

Blizzard Entertainment
You think you do, but you don’t
Deleted User 2577
donator Posts:
Deleted User 2577
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I moved my 3 characters from whitemane to blaumeux. Curious to know what the day before launch is gonna be like and im so stoked fellas :)

Pippina
Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Falcon wrote:
4 years ago

I know some are assuming that queues will go fast because name reservations went fast. Definitely not the case.

Stalagg is already high and pushing full. Might keep bouncing along to Skeram, lol. Hmmm....

What about you?
Queue's to login and play the game?

The queue for name reservations went fast because after 3 characters were reserved, players exited the game and patted themselves on the back for reserving what they wanted.

The queue for logging into server on the other hand will be much different. When people have logged in, they sure as shit won't log out of the game or give up their time for somebody else who is waiting to play the game.
Anti-Afk bots, Early birds, No-sleepers... All of which are fighting to keep their place on the server, ready to play. If you rolled on Herod/Shazzrah and you have only 1-2 hours to play the game at 6pm, you won't be able to play unless you queue 1-3 hours before, and even then depending on the circumstances you may still be stuck in a queue waiting to play.

Falcon
| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kazukii wrote:
4 years ago
The queue for name reservations went fast because after 3 characters were reserved, players exited the game and patted themselves on the back for reserving what they wanted.
Exactly

Arithil - Warrior Tank
donator Posts: 12
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Ugh. Hope the queues for pvp servers won't be that bad.

Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 177
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I moved to Fairbanks from Whitemane. Just to see if the queues aren't too bad. I'm not in a rush..so if I can't get in on launch day on a "High" pop server then I'll switch to Medium or Low, not a huge deal for me.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 58
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Are people who are in medium / high population realms at the moment really expecting to not have to deal with queue times come launch? I really think that every realm is going to be fucked pretty hard by the massive amount of people trying to login and play. I highly doubt that the people who aren't resubbing until the day of, or those who just don't care about name reservation, are going to select a "Full" realm to try and roll a character on. Those people are going to select a Medium / High realm. I wouldn't be surprised even in the slightest if every single realm currently accessible is going to be fucked, and Blizzard will have to quickly add additional realms like they stated in the AMA that they are prepared to do.

<MKULTRA>
SoD RP-PvP
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm worried for Oceanic PvP. There is only 1 choice, so no alternative. If I have huge queues, I just have to suck it up. Not looking forward to that.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Selexin wrote:
4 years ago
I'm worried for Oceanic PvP. There is only 1 choice, so no alternative. If I have huge queues, I just have to suck it up. Not looking forward to that.
As they increased the number of Germna servers I suppose that, if needed, they will increase the number of Oceanic ones

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

#NoChanges my friends, transfer to lower pop realms wasnt a thing back then! :p

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Only transfers were available. Server merges happened regularly. And overpopulated or imbalanced servers regularly gave players the option for free transfers (typically before a merge took place on a low pop realm).

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Druid Feral
US Incendius
donator Posts: 163
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Nyxt wrote:
4 years ago
I am not 18 anymore and can wait hours to play...the time spent in queues may be the same amount of time i planned on playing that evening...so i wont be able to play...i know i want a server with a good community and population so it wont feel dead but if i cant play what is the point lol
Exactly this. I have a character on Skeram, Stalagg, and GROB MOB.

On launch day we will see which one doesn't have a queue and I will likely end up calling that one home.

Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Only transfers were available. Server merges happened regularly. And overpopulated or imbalanced servers regularly gave players the option for free transfers (typically before a merge took place on a low pop realm).
Yes I remember this but you dont have the option to select which realm you want to go to.
Mostly selected the high/full pop realms to transfer to say 1 or 2 low pop realms as an option

Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |