US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Blizzard thread: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ate/255835

Blizzard Entertainment
Based on name reservations so far, the Herod realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Stalagg realm, and we urge players on Herod to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Herod and we want Stalagg to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.

Our top priority in planning for WoW Classic’s launch has been ensuring that we are laying the groundwork for strong realm communities that will endure over the months and years to follow, which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand.

Altoholic
Ashenvale
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 75
Night Elf
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan
BEFORE?!?!?! Ooooo!!!
rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand
Saw this coming ahead of time, and I think it's smart on their part.

Arithil - Warrior Tank
donator Posts: 30
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The only people surprised by this news is Blizzard themselves.
When did they so drastically lose touch?

dkspride
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ColdRain wrote:
4 years ago
The only people surprised by this news is Blizzard themselves.
When did they so drastically lose touch?
It's not blizzard's fault that people are being idiots and all piling onto Herod despite there being 3 other perfectly good East coast PvP realms. They should just randomly reassign half of all Herod characters to Stalagg.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
EU Judgement
donator Posts: 43
Night Elf
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

There's been a similar update on the EU servers. Shazz in particular.

Blizzard Entertainment
Based on name reservations so far, the Shazzrah realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Gehennas realm, and we urge players on Shazzrah to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Shazzrah and we want Gehennas to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.

Our top priority in planning for WoW Classic’s launch has been ensuring that we are laying the groundwork for strong realm communities that will endure over the months and years to follow, which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand.

Warrior Protection
donator Posts: 48
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pure ridicolous thinking from Blizzard. Were they really thinking so few servers will be enough for a huge demand?!

busterford01
Winterspring
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

"a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006."

Now that's one hell of a statement.

teebling Falcon Rinkusan Pagwani
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
It's not blizzard's fault that people are being idiots and all piling onto Herod despite there being 3 other perfectly good East coast PvP realms. They should just randomly reassign half of all Herod characters to Stalagg.
Sure it is. The onus of population balance is not on the players shoulders. The servers should have soft caps on them so that this doesnt happen in the first place. Why can you continue to make characters on a full realm endlessly? Its dumb.

Grindhouse
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

cactusjuice wrote:
4 years ago
"a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006."

Now that's one hell of a statement.
Confirms some of the larger estimates that some of us have been making given some of the other indicators we saw during the beta and stress tests.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Guess it's time to change to Stalagg!

Luthilan teebling d3aths mwaf Selexin Lendryn CryptidK9 Tinyhoof
Rogue Subtlety
donator Posts: 28
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I was going to switch from Herod but I think ultimately I want to be on the realm with the highest population. Given Faerlina is streamer focused I'm happy to sit in queues for the first few weeks.

Luthilan - Undead Rogue - Herod
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Luthilan wrote:
4 years ago
I was going to switch from Herod but I think ultimately I want to be on the realm with the highest population. Given Faerlina is streamer focused I'm happy to sit in queues for the first few weeks.
What if there's 10,000 people in front of you and it's a 10 hour queue?

I'm also curious wh\y you want to be on a full realm with a 10k queue if sitting in that login queue results in being stuck on a layer the same size as it would be on any other lower population server that just has fewer layers.

Reminder that we're probably looking at a full Classic server being somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000+ players with many layers. A full Vanilla server was around 3,000 players.

Rogue Subtlety
donator Posts: 28
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
What if there's 10,000 people in front of you and it's a 10 hour queue?

I'm also curious wh\y you want to be on a full realm with a 10k queue if sitting in that login queue results in being stuck on a layer the same size as it would be on any other lower population server that just has fewer layers.

Reminder that we're probably looking at a full Classic server being somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000+ players with many layers. A full Vanilla server was around 3,000 players.
Really what I'm looking at it post Phase 1. I imagine the queues will be like any wow launch during the first few days and then it'll even out. Full disclosure though, if for whatever reason I'm wrong and come the weekend it's still unbearable hours long queues I do have a character reserved on Stalagg.

I just want to be where a lot of the active community is and everyone jumped to Herod. I know people are moving to Stalagg but I imagine a lot of people can't be bothered to move over. Ultimately we'll see what happens come 8/27 :)

Luthilan - Undead Rogue - Herod
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think the bigger point is these servers are so huge that even a medium sized one should collapse down to a single layer larger than the most crowded of Vanilla servers back in the original game. In addition to that, I still bet that the exact date when layering is shut off is probably going to be specific to the population decay of each server. So I'm thinking that a smaller server reaches that point before a maxed out full server does. These servers are all so huge that there shouldn't be any 'dead servers', and the smaller ones will probably feel fuller and sooner because they probably get squished to a single layer sooner.

Falcon
Elwynn Forest
US Old Blanchy
donator Posts: 102
Alliance
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
the smaller ones will probably feel fuller and sooner because they probably get squished to a single layer sooner.
I was thinking this same thing. Layer collapse will probably be done on a per server basis. In the end, smaller servers may actually end up better off in the long run. Getting your server collapsed faster may actually draw more players over to it as they know there is no more layering on it. (Assuming the advertise this).

I also wouldn't be opposed to increasing the simultaneous cap per server, at least a little bit. I think post layering collapse, I would be OK with blizzard increasing the cap from 3500 (Assuming thats what it will be still) by 500 at a time until its deemed too populated. The reality is that post phase I a large number of people will be instanced a large amount of the time. (At least on PVE realms?) Nost showed us that 15k simultaneous players isn't the end of the world and it truly adds to the MMO feel, while not classic, these increased caps seem to acceptable to most vanilla players considering how little raging there was on PS's

Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It seems that they are only counting people based on name reservations and that seems an issue. A lot of people are waiting to play once the game gets reléase. Hell, a lot of people don't know about name reservations

I hope they don't make the release day a dumpster fire to play

Lendryn
daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

4 of my 5 workmates who are playing classic at launch didn't reserve names. 2 of those are vanilla veterans who have dabbled in every expansion thus far, and even they didn't reactivate yet to do name reservations. The other 2are completely new to WoW, and simply didn't see the need to pay early to reserve a name.

I hope they have taken this in to consideration with their population estimates, I hope they aren't as short sighted as using the name reservations only. Maybe they are basing it off the characters made, so basically 3 per reservation account... that would help. If they are doing it per active account that did name reservation, that's not going to work.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

rijndael wrote:
4 years ago
They should really change the gui then so this is clear to players. Knowing this information definitely makes me think twice about rolling on whitemane.

centurion
Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

We imagine 10k qs+ Why not adding a 4 sever then?

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

daisyKutter wrote:
4 years ago
It seems that they are only counting people based on name reservations and that seems an issue. A lot of people are waiting to play once the game gets reléase. Hell, a lot of people don't know about name reservations

Agreed. I've been reading a book on predictions and this is what's known as an out-of-sample fallacy; making a projection based on historical data that doesn't include all possible outcomes. I.E.: you get smashed at the bar and decide you'll drive home because you've been driving home from work for years and always made it without an accident.

The same reasoning led to the 2007 financial crisis.

Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 102
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I am having a hard time deciding if i should change to the less crowded server (Gehennas) My friends would probably join me, but we would have to find a new guild. I dont think the queues will be to bad come launch with all the layers, but when we get to phase 2 and they remove layers the queues wont be fast and could last hours. I dont have as much time as i did back in vanilla so i dont want to spend what ever time i have sitting in a queue.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 58
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Blizzard must be expecting a huge amount of player dropoff for them to only open one more server in NA and EU still.

<MKULTRA>
SoD RP-PvP
Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Who made the decision to create only 2 PVP servers? don't they test or even think about situations such as this?
Good luck to everyone who will have a queue on launch day! you lucky bunch on Normal realms probably made the right choice.

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Rogue Subtlety
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 289
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

daisyKutter wrote:
4 years ago
Why, it's a more true to vanilla experience if everything's on fire.

Telvaine - Night Elf Hunter
Vennrick - Human Warrior
Keatts- Human Rogue

Grobbulus - US
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Lendryn wrote:
4 years ago
Agreed. I've been reading a book on predictions and this is what's known as an out-of-sample fallacy; making a projection based on historical data that doesn't include all possible outcomes. I.E.: you get smashed at the bar and decide you'll drive home because you've been driving home from work for years and always made it without an accident.

The same reasoning led to the 2007 financial crisis.
Wrong. The deliberate creation of a housing bubble by the government was what led to the 2007 financial crisis, and everyone with a decent understanding of economics knew it would lead to a crash because the exact same thing happens every time the government creates a bubble.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.