donator Posts: 301
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

NOT MY ADDON - Just posting it here because I thought it was super cool
----
Original post
Below is literally copy pasted, go to reddit post for feedback!

There is one thing in World of Warcraft Classic that is bugging me more than everything else: The auction house and the laborious way to get rid of the items you farmed. If you're using the auction house, you will need to put in all items every 24 hours as well as a deposit. If your item doesn't get sold in the auction house, then you will loose the deposit making deficit. This often results in items being sold to an NPC instead of another player, because the effort and the possible deficit due to the auction house might not be worth it. Another possibility is to sell your items using the trading channel spamming it every now and then. But imagine a few hundred players who want to sell something. The chat would just be flooded making it even less likely to sell something. Therefore, I tried to find a solution for that and found one:

I wrote a small AddOn that I call "IAmAMerchant", turning you into a real merchant like any other NPC merchant out there, and I want your opinion to that AddOn!

The only thing you have to do in order to use it is to download it and set up a bunch of items that you want to sell, as well as the price. The next thing you have to do is to wait for a player to click on you, inspect your items that you want to sell and whisper you with a request for an item. Imagine walking through Stormwind or Orgrimmar and rummaging what the other players have to offer. Or running around in Tanaris, accepting the cooking quest, and next to the cook is standing a tiny gnome selling the precious [Alterac Swiss] that you need for the cooking quest. ;) You could inspect and trade anytime and anywhere you want, as long as the other player also has this AddOn.

Current status of the AddonOn:

This is how the AddOn currently looks like after clicking on another player. Retrieving the offered items is already built in, however the sent items, item count and price is still hard coded. I need to code a UI for easily selecting the items and setting the price. This might also take some days as I'm 10 hours a day not at home and I'm pretty new to AddOn programming (just started last weekend), so have some mercy ;)

What features I will probably implement:

Main goal is to add the UI to select the items and set the price + some minor additions like disabling this AddOn in combat, adding tooltips to the items shown, finding another solution to open the window instead of letting it pop up every time a player is targeted, and implementing an auto /say function that says a given text every few minutes in order to do some marketing for your retailing.

Another feature I am thinking about it be able to allow other to inspect your inventory. So if they see something they need, but you are not offering it, they might ask for it. But I'm still not sure about this feature. Even if it would be optional via settings.

And now it's your turn, Reddit! What do you think about this Addon? A useful WoW Classic feature, or should I delete it immediately? :)

Update (16th August 00:28, Germany)
Today I was working to make a first beta version and implemented a few things:

Slash commands for enabling, disabling, clearing the item list and adding items to the item list. disabling the addon will only disable it on your side and not opening the merchant window anymore. However, other players can inspect your items for sale. The slash commands are:/iaam add <ItemLink> <count> <price e.g. 23456 for 2g 34s 56c>/iaam on/iaam off/iaam clear -> clears the items for sale listThese commands are temporary for the beta as long as no UI for adding items exist. I will probably also add the feature to remove items via rightclick in your own merchant window.

HyperLinks on mouser hovering added

Multiple minor bugfixes

It's late and I will go to bed now. I will try to upload the beta when I'm back from work, because I won't be at home this weekend :/
This would be a type of addon that requires both users to have it in order for it to work, so word of mouth plays a strong role in this. How do you guys think?

Edit:
Kaiju wrote:
4 years ago
Op Delivered. His first plugin build is up on wow interface for retail.
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/ ... etail.html

Gitlab Repo: https://gitlab.com/MMRep/iamamerchant/

Kaiju
<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde
Powered by https://classic.wowhead.com/item=9061/g ... ocket-fuel, our Fuel Rats go above and beyond to help out others.
Will you answer the call?
Guild Info ~ Stories ~ Discord
donator Posts: 7
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Lovely idea ! Main problem might be to let people know you’re “click’able” 😄 As an RP’er... I’d say awesome if you can pull it off ! 👍🏻

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

That seems like a pretty cool idea, and I think you're right - this type of addon would need a lot of people using it to be effective.

I wonder what kind of performance penalty will be there. Seems like a lot of scripting overhead.

Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Shadow wrote:
4 years ago
Lovely idea ! Main problem might be to let people know you’re “click’able” 😄 As an RP’er... I’d say awesome if you can pull it off ! 👍🏻
There is an Addon that RP'ers use (forgot its name), where you can give yourself "buffs" (that only other users with the same addon can see) and "create items" that you can trade with other users of the Addon. Obviously these items and buffs do not exist in "actual world", it's just flavor.

Something similar could be done with this addon as well, giving you a "Merchant" buff when you have an active shop. In time, users can set a district in Orgrimmar / Stormwind where merchants can display their goods. Say just outside of the general goods vendor in Orgrimmar, and before the enterance of the chapel in Stormwind. So people could set shop there, and in time it would be like other games where people with this addon could go to trade.
Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
That seems like a pretty cool idea, and I think you're right - this type of addon would need a lot of people using it to be effective.

I wonder what kind of performance penalty will be there. Seems like a lot of scripting overhead.
Performance penalty is something that I didn't think of. Would this be a load on the client or the server?
I think the trade addon that people use nowadays on retail makes the game load a lot slower, because it needs to get data from the Auction House (API)? AFAIK there is no API available in Classic (I'm probably wrong though)?

Powered by https://classic.wowhead.com/item=9061/g ... ocket-fuel, our Fuel Rats go above and beyond to help out others.
Will you answer the call?
Guild Info ~ Stories ~ Discord
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Gallow wrote:
4 years ago
Performance penalty is something that I didn't think of. Would this be a load on the client or the server?
I think the trade addon that people use nowadays on retail makes the game load a lot slower, because it needs to get data from the Auction House (API)? AFAIK there is no API available in Classic (I'm probably wrong though)?
I'm not a software guy so I don't know, its really more of a question that a statement. I know I get warnings from time to time from the game client saying things like 'lots of LUA errors, slowing performance - please disable addons' so I know there can be an impact. And an addon like this seems like there would be a lot of chatter back and forth between clients as the addons try to figure out who has it, who doesn't, who is selling what, etc. Seems like a lot of overhead.

Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Seems pretty nice, similar to Linage 2 trading; but I fear that if the addon becomes too popular Blizzard may block it, trading without the AH avoids a money sink and Blizzard may not like it.

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 177
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

daisyKutter wrote:
4 years ago
but I fear that if the addon becomes too popular Blizzard may block it, trading without the AH avoids a money sink and Blizzard may not like it.
Yeah, blizzard might see it as hurting the games economy...once there is one lol. Other than that, this addon is really cool!

Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

daisyKutter wrote:
4 years ago
Seems pretty nice, similar to Linage 2 trading; but I fear that if the addon becomes too popular Blizzard may block it, trading without the AH avoids a money sink and Blizzard may not like it.
Yeah many other games has had this, one I remember quite fondly is Ragnarok Online. You would have countless people setting shop to sell items. There was even a Merchant class wherein if you spend some extra skill points, you could increase the amount of items you put on sale at a given time. It really helps with the RP side of things, but from a buyers point of view it makes things a bit harder.

Valid point on Blizz maybe not allowing this as it circumvents the AH cuts though...