View results
Poll  •  Will you level professions as you level up?
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Curious if anyone plans to level their professions after getting an epic mount? I was planning on doing herbalism/skinning, but I wonder just how much extra time that adds to leveling, and whether it's more efficient to handle profs after 60. I have a feeling AH will be flooded with herb/skinning mats so most you'd get out of those is vendor prices while you're leveling.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 1
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'll be Skinning and Herbalism for the cash until I get my mount. Then I'll shift to Tailoring and Enchanting

Priest Discipline
donator Posts: 34
Horde
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I've heard of the Herbalism+Skinning combination a lot. Skinning is basically free extra income. Herbalism begs the question: is mining a better money-maker on account of fewer people taking ores than herbs?

Warlock Affliction
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 88
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
I was planning on doing herbalism/skinning, but I wonder just how much extra time that adds to leveling
Think about it this way, the time you "waste" gathering plants and skinning is directly proportional with the time you will actually waste when you're still walking at 50 and 60 because you didn't gather enough gold to get a mount at 40-45.

That first income for mount at 40 is absolutely your number 1 priority to speed up levelling and everything else.

And they say Blizzard games don't have bugs. - Anub'arak
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kall wrote:
4 years ago
Think about it this way, the time you "waste" gathering plants and skinning is directly proportional with the time you will actually waste when you're still walking at 50 and 60 because you didn't gather enough gold to get a mount at 40-45.

That first income for mount at 40 is absolutely your number 1 priority to speed up levelling and everything else.
Eh, I'll still be running at 136% movement speed thanks to https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=5118/ ... he-cheetah and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=19560/pathfinding

Desolace
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 9
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Definitely leveling Mining and Blacksmithing as I go as I have always done for my first char in every game. Little bit of a tradition at this point!

Orgrimmar
EU Lucifron
donator Posts: 7
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'll level Herbalism and Alchemy along the way to 60. I dislike the idea of unlearning a profession, it's kinda breaking the immersion for me. If i want to be an Alchemist, i gotta pick my flowers myself even if it's tedious and not optimal money wise.

powerfool crayon
donator Posts: 151
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Professions are much more helpful while leveling in classic, unlike being useless in retail. I will be leveling a lock with tailoring and skinning since some tailoring uses leather and the rest I can sell.

Druid Feral
US Incendius
donator Posts: 163
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I know everyone who is a min/maxer and rushing to get to 60 will say the obvious: Wait until you're 60 to level profs.

But here's the thing. Classic WoW is an RPG not an endgame simluator. If I didn't enjoy leveling professions I probably never would. But the fact is that I do enjoy leveling them and they give my character more personality and meaning to me so I am 100% leveling profs as I go.

Gonna start with skinning (for that money) and enchanting (because I want that sweet sweet druid tanking trinket) and then I will drop them both once I get to 60 and go Herb/Alch as they are my favourite professions.

Horde | Druid | Incendius | Cowligula
Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'll level Mining & Blacksmithing just for the immersion and fun of it

fendor
daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 102
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My plan is to level with herbalism and skinning, i will send all herbs to an alt and sell all leather to vendors. When im 60 i will drop skinning and pick up tailoring to craft https://classic.wowhead.com/item=14153/robe-of-the-void, after that i will drop tailoring for egineering. I will keep herbalism so i can farm herbs for consumables and to pick ghost mushrooms in Mara while i farm for my epic mount. At some point my alt will reach level 35 and get 300 Alchemy and i will sell transmutes. Once phase 4(ZG) arrives i will drop herbalism for tailoring again.

Nyxt
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Going as a druid with alch+herb, so dont realy care about the lvl 40 mount couse of the 3sec cast time compared to travelform, could as well just pick some extra herbs and sell, wont rush so hopefully there is a market for herbs and pots once im getting closer to 60

Shaman Enhancement
US Myzrael
donator Posts: 16
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Professions

hi im biggle
NA Old Blanchy HORDE !!! Tauren Shaman!!!!
GM of Best Bro Winners! (the best guild on the server)
Ashenvale
donator Posts: 59
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Won't be rushing to 60 anyways, so leveling proffs while leveling will be the way for me

vadermader
Darnassus
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This will be the first time in a decade that professions will provide viable early-game gear. It will be the only guaranteed source of uncommon sand rares for the first couple months, at least until the auction house gets fully up to speed.

I’m going to level mining / engineering on my Hunter. Alch / Herb on my Warrior, and Tailoring / Ench on my Mage.

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The whole reason why my Lock will be leveling Tailoring is to make the bags that I will NEED WHILE LEVELING...

Blacksmithing, on the other hand, can wait until my warrior dings 60

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Normally I would level professions along with my character, but because I have my doubts about the stability of the server during launch, I will be going full ham into levelling my mage. First aid is probably the only one I'll bother with for good reason.

When I level my warrior and the server is more stabilised I'll be taking every thing slow and getting my skills up at the same time. Things like https://classic.wowhead.com/item=6042/iron-shield-spike which are only useful early on and the time that I save later at 60 will be a big bonus.

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 229
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If it wasn't brand new servers I'd be leveling my intended professions as I leveled my character but seeing how there will be zero economy at the start, it's going to make a lot more sense to pick up just straight gathering profs that can make a lot of silver just off vendoring.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just depends. There are some professions, like enchanting, which are very hard to level up pre-60, usually b/c you need to just go ahead and vendor items for the cash.

But I'd say it's worth doing gathering professions for the money. Maybe some crafting professions are okay to do while leveling, I've known people who finished 300 blacksmithing before they were 60. But I dunno, seems expensive and you can usually just blitz the professions later with both money and power, and even a mount.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm planning on doing mining/skinning until around level 40, at which point I'll drop skinning and go mining/engineering. I'm hoping I'll have a decent amount of mats and money in order to level engineering to at least 175 so that I can craft iron grenades.

Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I will also level professions as I progress. I won't progress level wise unless my professions are up to par. Same goes for fishing and cooking.

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I always had problems with gathering professions taking up too much damn bag space. But I never thought about bank alts before - the whole idea of being able to park an alt next to a mailbox as a fast way to mail mats off my character any time I'm near a mailbox should help. I think this time around I'm going to run with gathering professions to make money as I go.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 12
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would say professions after 40, mostly using skinning/herbalism/mining to get items to sell while leveling for your mount.

Warlock Affliction
EU Flamegor
donator Posts: 1
Gnome
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

How is it going?
Here is list of my "I will not be such idiot next time" things:

I took tailoring and herbalism and I did wrong thing - better combo is tailoring with skinning, because some of recipes requires leather.

My second mistake was rarely gathering flowers. So, you see flower on minimap, but you thing "meh, I'll better to the quest and don't waste time on mobs near flower to gather it" - totally wrong thing. I'm 35lvl now, but can't gather herbs in current locations, because my herbalism skill is too low.

My third mistake - learn all things from tailoring teacher - don't do that! It's waste of money, you will never craft "that sweety boots with +2 points to my stat", because you will get better one from dungeon in 1 hour and you literally never will craft that thing.

My fourth mistake - i spent resources on faction reputation quests (you know, "bring 60 wool" - that quests) and it was totally wrong. And too expensive.

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I am doing something a little wonky.
I selected tailoring and skinning.
Tailoring for bags and gear and skinning for income, extra income.

Once i get high enough to farm Black Dragonscales in the Burning Steppes, I will drop skinning for mining.
I need 30 scales, I think for the epic warlock quest chain.
Then do mining to farm arcane crystals for the quest and a few extra for income to pay for the other things I need for the quest.
After that I will drop all professions and learn my end game professions which will be Alchemy and Herbalist!

That was my end game in Vanilla, I enjoyed being a chemist and made alot of gold selling flasks and potions!
I should be 60 by then and hopefully craft everything I need from tailoring by then!
Once bloodvine comes out I might drop herb to go back to tailoring then craft and drop for herb again....maybe idk...its going to be awhile till then so i will have time to think about how i am going to do it

Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |