Good luck :)

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! You’re the best.

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Good luck, so you are a spare time developer? :o
Yeah I did a lot of the development on barrens chat whilst I was at sea believe it or not. I deployed three patches over the ship’s satellite internet :lol:
Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
what kind of boat is that?
It’s a saturation diving support vessel. 120m length (thats about 350ft for you muricans) - we do subsea construction (pipelines, manifolds, generators) from seabed to surface.

My job is to navigate her across the ocean when we’re transiting to a new job, and when we’re diving I hold the boat in position above the worksite. I do a month on and then have a month off.

The divers are the real superstars - they work at mad depths (up to about 200m - 600ft) doing very intense work on expensive assets. They’re like freaking astronauts - they stay pressurised to the depth they are working at for the whole month. So they live in saturation chambers onboard the ship and are fed through an airlock and go to their shift by way of a diving bell - all kept at the correct pressure.

Here’s a pic of a deep sea diver off wikipedia:

I just drink tea and look out of the window lol

Tinyhoof couchatron daisyKutter Sauva Frosken
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 231
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
I just drink tea and look out of the window lol
Dream job.

Good luck man, sure you'll ace it!

Paladin Holy
EU Noggenfogger
donator Posts: 11
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Don't you sail a boat Teeb, not a good start for you to get that wrong kek :D. Good luck dude!

Paladin Holy
donator Posts: 21
Alliance
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Captain Teebs is an amazing pirate name.

DoomC
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Good luck teebs! Good timing to finish up just before Classic's release. :lol:

Excited to see these changes too once you're back!

Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Good luck Captain Teebling!

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

two weeks huh, justttt enough time to get back right before classic hits off, good luck mane

Reip
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

gg ez

Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
The divers are the real superstars - they work at mad depths (up to about 200m - 600ft) doing very intense work on expensive assets. They’re like freaking astronauts - they stay pressurised to the depth they are working at for the whole month. So they live in saturation chambers onboard the ship and are fed through an airlock and go to their shift by way of a diving bell - all kept at the correct pressure.

Sounds pretty intense. They must get paid big money for that kind of work.

Do they at least get to play WoW in their saturation chambers?

The Barrens
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 61
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Good luck! I hope you will get your stripes!

Gehennas EU PvP - Horde
<FIKA>
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
£1000 a day if they're in saturation, so in a 30 day trip they can make up to £30k.

Latsiv Gallow
Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Best of lucks Teebs, I'm sure you will do fine :)

I clearly picked the wrong proffession :p

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
£1000 a day if they're in saturation, so in a 30 day trip they can make up to £30k.
Now that's some fuckin hazard pay right there. I can't imagine what living at pressure for a month does to the body long term. I understand the need for it, the body doesn't like pressure fluctuations so if you're working at depth then you want to stay at depth pressure. But still I wonder what that does to the body.

How did you end up in the position to be driving a boat like that? You're probably the first saturation diving support vessel captain any of us have ever talked to :lol:

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
But still I wonder what that does to the body.
No one knows really - there haven’t been any long term studies made. I asked this question too.

I’m not going for a Captain’s ticket just yet! I’m being examined for competency at the Officer of the Watch (OOW) level - so I’m one of the navigators on the bridge team under the Master. To be the Master of a ship takes decades of experience though I certainly want to be there one day :smile:

To be honest mate I haven’t got a fucking clue how I ended up where I did haha. I went from web developer, to spanish degree graduate, to english teacher and then to a deck cadet in the merchant marine.

@Jon Bloodspray is an ex-sailor too though he worked the cruise ships.

Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I did a lot of the development on barrens chat whilst I was at sea believe it or not. I deployed three patches over the ship’s satellite internet :lol:
I have no reason not to believe you - Haha good work! :)

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Mulgore
donator Posts: 184
Tauren
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago

@Jon Bloodspray is an ex-sailor too though he worked the cruise ships.
And I would never do it (cruise ship) again. If I wanted to be back at sea I would definitely go full Merchant Marine.

Regarding the mental strain on those divers and other sailors, I'll just say there's a reason you are off for weeks at a time between deployments.

I have nothing fancy to add here, but if you've never played Binary Domain, you should.
Tirisfal Glades
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 301
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

DoomC wrote:
4 years ago
teebling wrote:
4 years ago

Do they at least get to play WoW in their saturation chambers?
I got claustrophobic just by imagining living under the sea in a small chamber for 10 minutes, let alone one month!

<Goblin Rocket Fuel Rats> | Arugal Horde