The Barrens
donator Posts: 6
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thanks guys for all of your advices!

Im concerned that my spec isnt optimal at all, but I don't really care about it. I just want to enjoy the game playing as i want, maybe not raiding in the best guild of my server, but it isn't something that actually concerns me.

I have another question for you. What weapon is BiS with enhancement shaman in classic?
I mean, i've been looking out there and now i just see [Nightfall] as a viable option if i want to be an enh shaman that also supports my raid team.

https://classicdb.ch/?item=19169 (link of the item)

EU Gandling
donator Posts: 88
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Short answer, no. No guild worth it’s weight will let you raid as dps. At best they will let you raid as a healer whilst keeping your enhancement build. For a guild that’s not even cleared MC out, this is generous.

Of course in the beginning you might get to raid as dps, thanks to the number of players who didn’t actually raid in vanilla and know most of it only from watching pserver videos. If you do, thank your lucky stars and push extra hard to be the best, since any heal dps spec basically has to always be on their A+ game if you hope to out-dps a rogue/mage that’s semi-afk. If you don’t then you might be refused a spot once people realise what wow is all about.

I’m sorry, but raiding is a team effort and vanilla pulled no punches. If you want to play your way and straight up refuse to heal, curve your expectations on raiding and aim for BG exalted rep epics.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 58
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Zolid wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks guys for all of your advices!

Im concerned that my spec isnt optimal at all, but I don't really care about it. I just want to enjoy the game playing as i want, maybe not raiding in the best guild of my server, but it isn't something that actually concerns me.

I have another question for you. What weapon is BiS with enhancement shaman in classic?
I mean, i've been looking out there and now i just see [Nightfall] as a viable option if i want to be an enh shaman that also supports my raid team.

https://classicdb.ch/?item=19169 (link of the item)
If you are dedicated to going to Enh shaman route, I would absolutely recommend trying your hardest to obtain Nightfall at the beginning!

Outside of that, items such as Sulfuras: https://classicdb.ch/?item=17182, which would be a great weapon to have, are pretty unrealistic to expect to have as an Enh shaman.

<MKULTRA>
SoD RP-PvP
Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
Good luck with that mindset...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In time you will find that most of the good DPS players share "that" mindset with me ;) enjoy raiding with your meme specced brothers, surrounded by mediocrity.

edit:
@OP, there's some theorycrafting being one on Enhancement Shamans working with Spelldamage instead Physical damage, it seems to be quite promising. You'll probably find this channel interesting: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQx0jujFmUV5eq4qx6YL
Personally I would get Nightfall ASAP and try to get Sulfuras to replace it. It'll be hard but if they let you raid as Enhancement you should really get it because you'll be (should be.........) the only person in the raid using 2H weapons, so you're technically the only one having it as mainspec. Nightfall can be done better than Enh by Hunters and offtanks anyway (higher uptime with Wingclip/Hamstring spam).

EU Gandling
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

morbidmike wrote:
4 years ago
@OP, there's some theorycrafting being one on Enhancement Shamans working with Spelldamage instead Physical damage, it seems to be quite promising. You'll probably find this channel interesting: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQx0jujFmUV5eq4qx6YL

Iirc there were some people who said beta servers didn’t follow this rule and it was actually a pserver feature. It will have to be confirmed once we go live.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 58
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

morbidmike wrote:
4 years ago
Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
Good luck with that mindset...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In time you will find that most of the good DPS players share "that" mindset with me ;) enjoy raiding with your meme specced brothers, surrounded by mediocrity.
Mate, if that's how you want to play the game that's fine but you don't need to shit on other people because they want to play differently.
I guarantee that even raiding with sub-optimal specs, my guild will kill just as many bosses as yours. :mrgreen:

<MKULTRA>
SoD RP-PvP
Felwood
EU Razorgore
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
Mate, if that's how you want to play the game that's fine but you don't need to shit on other people because they want to play differently.
I guarantee that even raiding with sub-optimal specs, my guild will kill just as many bosses as yours. :mrgreen:
Honestly I doubt it. Up to Naxx maybe but 4 horsemen is a pain and Patchwerk is very hard if your DPS isn't up there. You're not clearing those with 500 DPS shamans that would bring the exact same group buffs but also more than double the DPS (the DPS lost from not bringing a Warrior or a Mage for example) if they were healing. But hey, don't take my word for it, go for it and see where you end up. You might even prove me wrong.
I'm not shitting on people who want to play differently. People should play whatever the fuck they want to play. But people shouldn't expect other people to want to play with them, if it's 100% indisputable that their play style is bad (objectively: you only lose things for bringing a meme spec and gain nothing in return). And guilds who amass players with bad play styles will objectively be worse guilds than those that amass players with good styles.

Stfuppercut
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

So I'm one of those people that am super open to having lots of "non-optimal" specs in my guild and being pretty casual w/ the game (just don't have the time to go hard in the paint anymore).

That being said, enh dps is pretty rough. I think I'd still prefer only have one in a 40 man raiding guild and would be okayish without one in a 20-man only guild. But I won't flame anyone for playing how they want.

algorithm
Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 7
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
Linguine wrote:
4 years ago
I don't want to be in a guild where the Moonkin gets the same shot at getting Nef's Tear as the top DPS mage, and neither does the top DPS mage. Simple.

If it's an LC and the Moonkin isn't getting it, the top DPS will likely be there, but then again the Moonkin might not (probably won't) be there.
If you are playing a sub-optimal spec you have to accept that you're most likely going to be low on the prio for most gear.
Luckily, any good guild is going to be tossing bones at least after first drop. If the guild is running moonkin then it really isn't about optimization and the people in the raid should know that from the start.

EU Gandling
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Darg727 wrote:
4 years ago
Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
Linguine wrote:
4 years ago
I don't want to be in a guild where the Moonkin gets the same shot at getting Nef's Tear as the top DPS mage, and neither does the top DPS mage. Simple.

If it's an LC and the Moonkin isn't getting it, the top DPS will likely be there, but then again the Moonkin might not (probably won't) be there.
If you are playing a sub-optimal spec you have to accept that you're most likely going to be low on the prio for most gear.
Luckily, any good guild is going to be tossing bones at least after first drop. If the guild is running moonkin then it really isn't about optimization and the people in the raid should know that from the start.
Is that really a good guild though? If, let’s say, you have 6 mages and 1 moonkin and a dps staff drops, twice, which is the better guild: the one with 2 mages wielding that staff or the one with a mage and a druid that barely makes mid-dps meters and 3 weeks later might decide to go feral cause ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A more realistic rule is the rule of 2 clears; meaning after the guild clears, for example, MC twice anyone can roll on anything (within some limits). This makes sure that, for starters, optimal classes get optimal gear.

donator Posts: 7
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Vlostek wrote:
4 years ago
Is that really a good guild though? If, let’s say, you have 6 mages and 1 moonkin and a dps staff drops, twice, which is the better guild: the one with 2 mages wielding that staff or the one with a mage and a druid that barely makes mid-dps meters and 3 weeks later might decide to go feral cause ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A more realistic rule is the rule of 2 clears; meaning after the guild clears, for example, MC twice anyone can roll on anything (within some limits). This makes sure that, for starters, optimal classes get optimal gear.
How do you define a good guild? One that gives priority to the optimal classes for everything? Or one that spreads the wealth to give everyone something to look forward to? I'd define it as one that works together to overcome challenges and equally rewards members for their service. Raids are on a weekly lockout and not every guild is going to be able to raid every raid every week. Hypothetically speaking, you give your mages/warlocks priority for loot in MC. Your moonkin gets their healing set but isn't able to get any caster drops because they have to wait a minimum of 10 weeks to get through every slot for the 10 mages and warlocks. BWL rolls around and your mages and warlocks get the same priority. That moonkin is still in Pre-raid BiS. That moonkin is playing to dps. They heal as needed, decurse as needed, preserve innervate as needed. They worked just as hard, if not harder than other dps to bring success to the raids. Is it right to deny them rewards just because their role isn't persistent? I wouldn't think so. I would think a rotating priority system would let every one get gear fairly. At worst, in the same amount of time your "optimal" classes would be one piece of loot behind. OMG as a raid we are doing 10 dps less than we should so we all failed to kill the boss! Not to mention this helps keep more loot within the raid should your members get sniped.

As for switching specs, they can do it on their own time. No guild is going to actively support a spec change unless necessary for the raid *cough*Naxx tanking*cough* or unless everyone else is geared up already. As for the loot, why be butt hurt over it when they earned it in the first place. Especially when there are more upgrades available for the other classes.

Badlands
donator Posts: 6
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Big Raids will want 1 Enhance Shammy for WF with the melee...but good luck getting gear..competing w Rogues, Warriors and Hunters on gear. .even Druids on 2H weps

The Barrens
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 10
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rubmytotem wrote:
4 years ago
Big Raids will want 1 Enhance Shammy for WF with the melee...but good luck getting gear..competing w Rogues, Warriors and Hunters on gear. .even Druids on 2H weps
You're probably gonna get debated on the raid wanting an Enh just to buff a melee group, but slow 2H are usually Shaman priority anyway. Warriors want 1H, Hunters want stat sticks, Druids want stat sticks and crowd pummelers.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mizu wrote:
4 years ago
Rubmytotem wrote:
4 years ago
You're probably gonna get debated on the raid wanting an Enh just to buff a melee group, but slow 2H are usually Shaman priority anyway. Warriors want 1H, Hunters want stat sticks, Druids want stat sticks and crowd pummelers.
Yeah an Enh shaman won't have to compete with very many people for weapons. And enhancement shamans will probably be assigned Nightfall duty anyway. And the gear competition won't be THAT tight. Any reasonable guild will know what items to prioritize. And you're only competing with fury warriors and the few cat druids for strength items. Rogues don't want it. Raw attack power gear is more up for grabs but again, a smart guild will still prioritize appropriately.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 4
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

From a raid mechanics perspective the only thing Enh brings to the table is:
- ability to totem twist WF and TA
- willingness to wield Nightfall

That doesn't mean that's the only way to get a raid spot though.

The #1 way to secure a raid spot as a non-optimal spec is to be likable. Classic is a game you play with PEOPLE not with specs.

Also back in Vanilla we were always short Shaman. Usually we only had 3 in raids but wanted at least 5.

Also the top DPS for phase 1 Horde will be a 2h Fury warrior with OEB and Edgemsters. Trouble is they will be very threat capped so Totem twisting for 4 warriors is actually quite valuable but nobody will directly recognize how you are contributing on the meters.

donator Posts: 4
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

You should also look to run a spec like this https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... 1-05005351 and be an actual hybrid with a set of gear for spamming Chain Heal on fights or nights you guys are short healers or there is big raid damage.

For weapons you're pretty much done in Phase 1. You get your Nightfall from the guild ASAP and then you just wait for Hand of Rag, but even when you get Hand of Rag you can't use it in PvE, only PvP.

Also be sure and roll Orc for axe spec.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Slappysan wrote:
4 years ago
Also the top DPS for phase 1 Horde will be a 2h Fury warrior with OEB and Edgemsters.
true

Image    Image    Image
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

@Zolid if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Image    Image    Image
Druid Restoration
donator Posts: 8
Orc
Warlock
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

retail

morbidmike wrote:
4 years ago
meme specs
classic
Kolvacs wrote:
4 years ago
sub-optimal specs

Mulgore
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 22
Horde
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Accepting Enha shamy in raids cuz they have totems is like accepting a kid with a ball to a soccer game just cuz he brought the ball, it was always a kid that does not know to play.

- If raids have 5+ resto shamans, and 40+ good players, enhancement will not be in the setup
- If raids have a lot of very good melee, and lack shamans, they will bring suboptimal melee to boost overall dps, and ignore his numbers

The problem here is that most players who rolled shamans in vanilla rolled it without intention to heal, and without a healing mindset. Some of them didnt even think about the endgame, but just rolled it, got in love with how powerful class is in open world. Since most dungeons are based on Magic damage, it is perfectly fine that the group brought shaman AND a priest. What happens, in the end, is that shaman is completely unaware of what is going on around him, not dropping a single heal even in dire situations. Those players will not enjoy endgame. Guilds will recruit over time more shamans with a healing mindset, and slowly ignore those that want to dps, or advise them to reroll some pure dps class.

There should be a shaman guide starting with:
- Shaman is one of THE MOST POWERFUL HEALERS in the endgame
- Shaman levels as melee, raids as resto, and endgame PVP is in hybrid Ele/Resto range, so if you want to enjoy all aspects of the game roll one, but be ready to adapt to different needs.
- While Alliance early buffs are amazing, WF totem scales with every single melee dps upgrade
- While Alliance early buffs are amazing, Shaman totem trivialize some of the endgame mechanics on heavy poison fights

Stfuppercut
- - -
Mookey & Cosá @ Shazzrah EU
Past: Mookey <The Celestial Defender> Xavius EU & Cosa @ Lightning's Blade / Northdale / Lightbringer
Felwood
EU Razorgore
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

performance driven

sevenos wrote:
4 years ago
retail
morbidmike wrote: