View results
Poll  •  HD Models - Settings Toggle
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It's a strictly cosmetic feature that doesn't affect other players. I have no objection to it, though I'd stick with the old school models myself.

Stranglethorn Vale
donator Posts: 16
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Me like this idea.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 145
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

We are assuming there are no technical implications to this. While it's a fun idea and I understand the call for it, I don't think it will happen.

I'm not extremely knowledgable about WoW's game engine, but here are just a couple of technical dependencies I can imagine:

• New Character and NPC models also mean new models for other resources like totems.. playing your "new" shaman with old totems is weird, right? Are there even models for all the old totems? I played a shaman for a little while in BfA and noticed how much from their original kit was removed.
  • New models mean new textures, shadows & lights, not a big deal, but maybe the engine simply doesn't support defining alternative sources. So unless you use high quality (dynamic) lights and shadows, you could end up with a new character model throwing the shadow of an old character model and lights from particles could lead to weird stuff on the model texture. I don't think Blizzard would be willing to tamper with the engine to make this happen. :shrug:
  • New models mean new animations, which means you need to remap animations. Whilst this could be totally easy in most cases, what about cases in which there is no intended animation for new models? Maybe the old animations and the new are totally incompatible.. Let's say both character models are rigged (I would imagine the new models are, but the old might not), but rigged differently (obviously) and you try to put an old animation on that. It's weird, if at all possible.
  • Here's one for the PvP'ers: New models probably mean new hitboxes. Not sure how this handles in the engine so I don't even want to assume it's possible to use old hitboxes with new models.

It could be done, but would consume a lot of resources to do it. Maybe after launch this could be one of the things in their backlog.

Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Warlock Affliction
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 88
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rinkusan wrote:
4 years ago
New models mean new animations, which means you need to remap animations. Whilst this could be totally easy in most cases, what about cases in which there is no intended animation for new models? Maybe the old animations and the new are totally incompatible.. Let's say both character models are rigged (I would imagine the new models are, but the old might not), but rigged differently (obviously) and you try to put an old animation on that. It's weird.
This is one of the reasons pointed out, I can't recall if by Blizzard staff or a knowledgeable animator, but new models means different animations, meaning that the spells and abilities they cast are not sync'ed with the actual sprites, animations and time-length of those spells and abilities, so then you have to ask yourself; well shall we add vanilla spells or new spells? And then you have whole new Pandora's box to open...

And they say Blizzard games don't have bugs. - Anub'arak
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Grindhouse wrote:
4 years ago
Is it to late to update the graphics?

More videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCArpkO ... L9Gzxt-HFg
Wow those are incredible. That must have been like what WoW felt/looked like to me when I first experienced it in 2005, haha. Especially coming from Runescape. :lol:

On topic though: I totally don't mind if it's a toggle. I've definitely rolled with a modded MPQ on vanilla realms to have some newer textures, but I do not think it should be on by default. The game should look authenticate when you first play.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

After spending a good chunk of time on the stress test this weekend - holy shit, the graphics already pretty much are in 'WoW Classic Remastered' territory. Yeah we still have the old models and textures, but the modern game engine brings so many graphical improvements that it's like a brand new game. The shadows, water, view distance, anti-aliasing... everything adds up in little ways. I spent half the time this weekend gawking at how good everything looked in spite of all the old textures and low polygon models.

Yeah, I much prefer my gnome with the new character models. But Classic as a whole already is so far improved from what I'm used to from private servers and it's pretty impressive what they've done.

teebling
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 145
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
holy shit, the graphics already pretty much are in 'WoW Classic Remastered' territory
In order to go to "true" Classic graphics, they added a button on the bottom left of the graphics options interface. It will set your graphics preset to 3 and look pretty much like Vanilla looked.

teebling
Rinku < the Druid > - For the HORDE - Gehennas, EU
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rinkusan wrote:
4 years ago
Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
holy shit, the graphics already pretty much are in 'WoW Classic Remastered' territory
In order to go to "true" Classic graphics, they added a button on the bottom left of the graphics options interface. It will set your graphics preset to 3 and look pretty much like Vanilla looked.
Yeah, I saw that too. That gives it another perspective - classic graphical settings is preset 3/10. When you turn it up to 10/10, you got you your WoW Reforged graphics. Just without the new character models, textures, animations, hit boxes, updated heights, etc.

Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I literally have zero clue why anyone would vote to prohibit the new models as an option.

For me, I'd toggle it depending on what race I'm playing. I've historically played trolls, so I'd 100% keep the old models. But if I played, say, undead or dwarf, then 100% the WoD models.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Winterspring
donator Posts: 117
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

They should honestly just have the best of both worlds in the game. If people want the new models then they should be able to, it literally doesn't affect anyone in any way possible. Animations and effects are arguable, but as far as regular models go, it shouldn't be a problem.

I remember seeing the #nochanges bandwagoners crying about the idea of having both new and old models as a toggleable option, but having slightly better graphics and a Classic graphic option is perfectly fine with them. Blows my mind.

Human Warrior - Shazzrah Firemaw PVP
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 391
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My position has always been: when it comes to the basic rules and data governing the behavior of the game world and all the objects within it, there should be no changes. But when it comes to cosmetic, interface, or strictly server-side improvements, up to and including the ability to add collectibles to your bnet account by acquiring them on Classic realms, anything is fair game.

Nenski wrote:
4 years ago
I set my foreground fps to 8 frames, dropped the graphics bar as low as it can go; then whenever I go in a major city I stop moving every 6-8 seconds for a few moments to simulate my computer freezing.

The true 2004 vanilla experience.
We're all going to get the true 2004 vanilla experience this time tomorrow when the servers are crashing and we see 10-hour login queues.

Threads I've derailed: 0
Flame wars I've started: 0
Threads I've started that mentioned other posters by name: 0
Accounts I've created for the sole purpose of mocking other posters: 0

My reputation is clean.
Mulgore
donator Posts: 184
Tauren
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

No joke, the first computer I played WoW was a Best Buy prebuilt with a 266Hz processor. I bought it a few years earlier because I needed to upgrade to a computer that would run Red Alert 2. When wow came out I'd get a better frame rate if I'd stare at the ground while running, so I never even saw Classic at it's full settings back then. I'll probably start with the Classic setting and then see if I feel like turning it up.

I agree that toggle option for old and new models would be nice. When it comes to technical options like this, I feel like more player choice is always better than less.

I have nothing fancy to add here, but if you've never played Binary Domain, you should.
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I dislike most of the new models, but I'm in favor of having the option to toggle it. It might be kinda funky looking with old armor.

I'd only ever consider using it if you had to toggle between the classic graphics for the whole game or updated hd graphics for the whole game, like all the armor and mobs and everything. But since this is pretty likely not going to happen, because even in BFA I think gnolls/kobolds are still the old ugly models, I'm comfortable keeping it to toggle, as I'd only ever use the WoD models for a couple races.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Alterac Valley
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 35
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I would like the option to enable updated models from retail, it will definitely clash horribly with the old models and textures but I am fine with it and it would not affect the experience of other players.

Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Jon Bloodspray wrote:
4 years ago
No joke, the first computer I played WoW was a Best Buy prebuilt with a 266Hz processor. I bought it a few years earlier because I needed to upgrade to a computer that would run Red Alert 2.
Red Alert 2 was released in October 2000. By that time, both AMD and Intel had passed the 1 ghz milestone. Where in the hell would you pick up a 266 mhz part in October of 2000? A history museum?

My reputation is clean.
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
Red Alert 2 was released in October 2000. By that time, both AMD and Intel had passed the 1 ghz milestone. Where in the hell would you pick up a 266 mhz part in October of 2000? A history museum?
The Pentium 2 was just exiting production in 1999...

donator Posts: 10
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

One issue is that I feel it would look really out of place, since all the mobs would still have the old models too.

Honestly, I feel that Classic WoW is somewhat of a preservation of how the game was in 2005, almost a museum piece, and I wouldn't want any changes to that for better or for worse.

Winterspring
donator Posts: 117
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hazen wrote:
4 years ago
One issue is that I feel it would look really out of place, since all the mobs would still have the old models too.

Honestly, I feel that Classic WoW is somewhat of a preservation of how the game was in 2005, almost a museum piece, and I wouldn't want any changes to that for better or for worse.
Good thing it'd be toggleable so it wouldn't affect you in any way possible.

Human Warrior - Shazzrah Firemaw PVP
Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
The Pentium 2 was just exiting production in 1999...
...and the last Pentium IIs were clocked at 450 mhz.

My reputation is clean.
Mulgore
donator Posts: 184
Tauren
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Black Monarch wrote:
4 years ago
Jon Bloodspray wrote:
4 years ago
No joke, the first computer I played WoW was a Best Buy prebuilt with a 266Hz processor. I bought it a few years earlier because I needed to upgrade to a computer that would run Red Alert 2.
Yeah, I remembered this wrong. I think it was an AMD Athlon at 1ghz, but it had RAM support at 266hz. Something like that. We're talking about a PC I bought almost 20 years ago when I had no idea how the things worked.

I have nothing fancy to add here, but if you've never played Binary Domain, you should.
Silverpine Forest
Undead
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Oh, yes, a 266 mhz front-side bus makes WAAAY more sense lol

My reputation is clean.
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 88
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

No.
You’re in my world now! *confused evil laughter*

Also realistically it wouldn’t be just aesthetics. It would probably be a very complex balancing act between animations, ability/spell timers, world interaction, who knows what else.

The more things you balance the bigger the risk of breaking everything.