Paladin Retribution
donator Posts: 62
Human
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hey guys,

I'm planning to make my first char a hunter, to explore the world, do fishing and cooking so I don't have to bother with it on other chars, and also collecting skin and cloth since I will be farming animals for meat anyway. What second profession should I get? Will leatherworking or tailoring do better for making some gold, or should I just grab mining or herbalism to sell raw materials?

Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'd say take leather working so you have another set of goals to go after while leveling such as making a really good piece of gear. This will slow down the leveling process but it feels very rewarding when you out the time in

Mythric Pluuf
Shaman Enhancement
US Kurinaxx
donator Posts: 4
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I second for leatherworking, it seems by the poll conducted on /r/classicwow that leatherworking won't be as popular as mining and engineer (of course) and the devilsaur sets are great for constant cash flow.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform
Here's the link to the poll for the current stats on class, race and profession popularity. (You have to log in with your google account to participate and see the results)

Mythric
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

laughing_gandalf wrote:
4 years ago
I second for leatherworking, it seems by the poll conducted on /r/classicwow that leatherworking won't be as popular as mining and engineer (of course) and the devilsaur sets are great for constant cash flow.
This is because players will farm their own devilsaur mobs and skin them (many people will be skinning to level 40% on the survey - those who arent will have someone who is to farm skin with them) or buy it in many cases and have a guildie craft their set. There wont be much money in leatherworking outside of https://classic.wowhead.com/item=15407/ ... eagent-for . If you are planning on making cured rugged hides, you can do so on a level 35 character sitting in a major city. A guild will only need 1-2 leatherworkers, any more are just a waste, and if they are farming cured hides, they will do so on the same level 35 characters that they will use for alchemy to farm arcanite bars for their tanks. This is assuming you arent a server early 60 farming devilsaur leather on several layers; but based on OP's post, he wont be and that market will surely be taken.

You can also make decent gold by buying thick leather and a low enough price that you will be able to craft nightscape tunics and vendor them. This is a very slow profit per hour, but can be done while afking for prolonged periods of time. Also great for a level 35 alt in a major city.

When you are looking at which professions are popular, it is that way for a reason. Engineering is an incredible proffesion for both PvE and PvP and you must be engineering to gain the majority of benifits and pieces from the profession itself. I also think that while Engi shows about 45% on the charts, it will be higher because many people will opt to use engineering early on and then feel the need to drop it for some new raid drop (ex. dropping eng for tailoring for bloodvine set) but then once they no longer need that gear (most will use bloodvine forever) they will swap back to engi. People will swap back and forth and back and forth and whenever they can justify going Engi, they will opt to do that because it is superior. Buying your way to engi, especially early on, is very cheap. During the initial few weeks of a server you have a MASSIVE supply on the auction house with virtually no demand. Nodes will being farmed on cooldown on multiple layers at a time, and very few people will be buying anything. They will all be busting their balls for a few coppers. Its at this stage of a server that I will often find items on the AH for cheaper than they can vendor. This is when you buy. You invest in a lot of shit early on and you will easily be able to buy your way to full engi for SUPER cheap OR you can simply resell these mats at a later time. I've even bought full mat lists to get someone from 1-300 and then I sell them as a set. "Get 300 engineering right now for XG pieces" and I have been able to make decent gold that way.

Great example of valuable early items is low level scrolls and potions. I cant count how many people will purchase a shitty sword for 25-50s off the AH, meanwhile I pickup 4-8 stacks of elixirs, some HP pots, a ton of scrolls and walk around looking like im raid buffed for 4 hours for about the same price and guess what? The buffs usually last longer than the sword would have because I get an upgrade within that 4 hours anyhow.

You want to make gold or obtain early value, go left when everyone else goes right. When everyone else are bartering and fighting to make a few copper, give them your useless copper and invest into your efficiency to get you to 60 faster and then benefit from being a higher level and thus making more gold.
Kuro wrote:
4 years ago
What second profession should I get? Will leatherworking or tailoring do better for making some gold, or should I just grab mining or herbalism to sell raw materials?
This is tough because it will depend on your method. Perhaps you farm herbs at 60 and can get some early black lotuses while farming devilsaurs etc. Perhaps youre dinging 60 a bit later and will find yourself farming Mauraudon and thus will want enchanting to DE unique items to help with your efficiency. You have a lot of options. If a casual player who had limited experience asked we what the highest value profession was to make gold while leveling - its skinning. If the same player asked what the best profession was to earn flat gold at 60 - herbalism. But there are nuances to this.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
nimeral
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

You'll regret not getting engi as a hunter. DMT farm is only possible with engi (to open a closed door there). This is what makes hunters the best farming class. Without engi, they are one of the worst.

Can of course always drop something for engi on 60, it's not very expensive to relevel.