Warrior Fury
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 13
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hi, guys.

I`ve decided to pick herbalism and alchemy for my druid when classic launches. The main reason for that is, because I want to spend time leveling alchemy and fishing enough to make Blackmouth oil and sell it on action house. When I get more skill will try to sell fire oil, Free action potions , and potions of swiftness. I consider this to be my main income, cuz skining / minning is so boring.

Do you think many people will have the same idea?
Would it take too much time to start to make profit ?
Am I going to be poor until 25-30 lvl?
Is it better idea to go skinning/herb until I start fishing Oily Blackmouths and Firefin snappers , saving all the herbs and then just picking alchemy?

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Do you think many people will have the same idea?
People will have the same idea. Early on gathering proffesions yield very low gold margins and you would be better off stocking your items and buying whatever you can off the AH to sell at a later date. Supply is insane for the first month of a server and demand is non-existant.

Would it take too much time to start to make profit?
If you blend this into your leveling you will make a profit. It wont take much time. Every herb you pick will be profit. Whether that is an efficient way to make gold early on or not is a completely different discussion. If you want to make gold, rush to 60 with skinning and make gold at 60. There is no compelling argument to be made for low level gold per hour early on in a fresh server.

Am I going to be poor until 25-30 lvl?
Poverty is relative. The server will be fresh so everyone will have a limited supply of gold.

Is it better idea to go skinning/herb until I start fishing Oily Blackmouths and Firefin snappers , saving all the herbs and then just picking alchemy?
This depends on your wants and needs. If your goal is efficiency and making gold, getting to 60 is your priority. Wasting time on low level herbing or other gold making efforts, is silly and ineffective. If you enjoy leveling and participating in professions adds value to your experience, and you're looking for a very casual journey to 60 with some supplemental income, your idea sounds pretty good.

Its really hard to give advice to people who you dont know personally because choices like this are subjective. Any time you frame a question from a net gain perspective, I immediately shift my answers to a min/max perspective and for most players, that wont be what they are looking for. If you arent min/maxxing and just want some passive income, I wouldnt get too bent out of shape creating a gold strategy early on. Any gathering proffs will do okay and players who know how to manage their gold and have a general base of knowledge about the game will have no issues getting their mount at 40.

If you want to make actual profit, doing low level professions is terrible and you should level as quickly as possible with skinning.

yugen Erik moozu123
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Warrior Fury
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 13
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Completely forgot that the server will be fresh, so twinks and primary non-gathering profession users will try to pick the materials needed for themselves. My goal was to supply PvP lovers (and myself) with free action potions and potions of swiftness. Shadow and frost oil seems pretty neat for Warrior/Paladin/Rogue. Alchemy is just lovely. I`m not min/maxxer and if I can describe myself as casual+ : smelling the fukin flowers, but want to be efficient.
I`m not completely sure if I can put up with fishing, seems boring (even irl) . But the gain from it is rewarding.
The profit I need is that I don`t need to worry about if I should buy that spell now or when 60.
Thanks for the answer , I got what I needed. Gonna take skin/herb , saving herbs, vendoring skins untill im around 20 lvl, then switch to alchemy and start making potions.
Another option is , as you said the market will be full with supply, is to roll herb/alchemy from the beginning and buy herbs at action house, that are close or below vendor price. The money needed will be coming from selling potions and trash. Also grouping with 4 more friends to grind dungeons will make decent coin.

Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

IMO if you're only taking alchemy to make gold you won't enjoy it as much as if you picked it up to have consumables and buffs while leveling.

Deadwind Pass
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 223
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Skinning is one of the best ways to earn money w/o needing to compete for resources.
Skinning/Tailoring will be my picks :D

<Tyranny>
Herod - PvP
Arathi Basin
EU Ten Storms
donator Posts: 253
Alliance
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If you are going to level up skinning and herb then switch skinning for Alchemy, I'd save the leather until after a couple of weeks when more people are 60, that's when people start having a little gold and they have outleveled the leather they need. People are lazy and will spend gold to buy your leather instead of running back to farm it.

I will level Herbalism and Alchemy to make myself consumables while leveling and then continue at 60 of course. My friend will level Herbalism and Skinning and give me free herbs in return for consumables and then switch to leatherworking at 60.

Altaholic playing the following:
Ten Storms EU Alliance
Finnigan - Dwarf Hunter Lvl 30
Portalmaster - Gnome Mage Lvl 19
Shaelur - Dwarf Paladin Lvl 22
Shaelus - Night Elf Druid Lvl 50