Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm not sure about anyone else here but used to be a lot more fit a few years ago and now it's really been bothering me lately.

I decided I'm going to do a 30 day challenge to myself by doing pushup for arms, squats for legs, leg raises for abs and running for general fitness levels and getting slimmer.

With just over 30 days until Classic launches I thought it is the perfect time to get started again. Has anyone else had these thoughts recently recently or is it just me?

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I just recently cleared a car project out of my garage so I could get the gym back together.

Haven't been lifting consistently for a few years now, but I wanna see how close I can get to my previous bench press 1 rep max of 365lbs. Or at least see how many reps I can hit at 315lbs. It's probably a good idea to sink some health into the body before we all let them go back to shit over the next year or two.

Grindhouse zutch Krunk Lendryn MuscleDad Cram
Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Looks good man, idk I don't have the funds or space to get a setup like that so I'm just going to make do with what I've got

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Is that a Titan rack? And if so how has it held up?

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It's a cheapo amazon special. Something like ~$275 rack from Body Solid with 2" square tubing. I'm surprised by how well it has held up. A 425lb bar slipped off my back at the top of a squat a while ago and bounced off the pins and the cage didn't give a shit. The bar has a nice curve to it now, but the cage and the pins survived. I kept that bar around after as a ghetto duffalo bar, lol. But we've also had 500lbs+ racked at shoulder height and the cage didn't collapse, and we've loaded up 675lbs+ for barbell shrugs while banging the bar off the safety pins and it hasn't phased the cage one bit. The cage has lost a lot of paint over the years but it's not bent or showing any signs of giving up any time soon. It does get a bit wobbly once the bar starts getting loaded up around 500lbs though, so if you're squatting much more than that I would probably go up to something stronger.

Stfuppercut
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Apol wrote:
4 years ago
Looks good man, idk I don't have the funds or space to get a setup like that so I'm just going to make do with what I've got
Just make it to a gym then. You don't need to run your own gym out of your garage to play with weights. I only built mine because I got tired of waiting for squat racks and stuff to open up at any of the public gyms in the area. And it's been a long-term collection, been picking up plates and bars slowly over the years as I find deals on stuff. I like to train with barbells, and most normie gyms are full of machines and you only get one or two benches and maybe a squat rack and they're all full of people. But if I didn't have the space I'd just wait my ass in line and work in when I could.

Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 102
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Great thread, health is very important. I work out in my garage as well and i love it, you can play the music you like and there is no downtime.
Here are a few pictures of the garage, i would love to have some more space.

Stfuppercut Pippina Zaycho
Felwood
donator Posts: 185
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Those are some nice Gym setup's.
I wouldn't be able to afford anything like it until I leave England and buy a place in Canada.

I stick to doing daily Cardio and Bench-Press.
Obviously when you're sitting at a computer for hours in Blackrock Mountain or where-ever, you're restricting blood-flow around the body and need to think about stretching your legs more often. I do 30 minutes of running and I'm sure I can bench a lot more than 50kilo, but that's the max weight it came with. Public gyms aren't my thing.

| Kazumi[33] - Frost Mage, Wetpaint[49] - Prot Warrior | Golemagg PVP|
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 165
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thank god my employer has well equipped gym in basement which I can use 24/7 at my own discretion.

And 3 times a week kickboxing is mandatory. Great for clearing your head and keeping your cardio up.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago
And 3 times a week kickboxing is mandatory. Great for clearing your head and keeping your cardio up.
It's also a great way to force yourself to do cardio if you hate doing cardio, lol.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago
It's also a great way to force yourself to do cardio if you hate doing cardio, lol.
100% spot on! That and your dieët (thats actually by far the worst, battle with the weight scale).

Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

nice setups you guys all have, although i'll probably not ever have anything that heavy. mostly been just doing ab workouts on my floor for the past few years, and incorporating/lifting dumbbells when i remember. would like to do squats and whatnot but i don't have much motivation for them as well. but my routines been interrupted for the past 6 weeks since ive shifted country, had to sell my punching bag too and have been travelling up and down in different cities since them. it annoys me a bit that ive been slipping with working out but its not really that comfortable doing stuff while youre just staying at other peoples houses. hoping to settle soon, should be before wow releases too so i'll make sure i do my dailies again before i start playing each day

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

There's usually a bunch of good deals for benches on Craigslist. Definitely worth checking if you're interested.

If you don't have the money or space you can do a lot with body weight exercises and resistance bands. I've had success using this routine combined with a low carb diet. If you don't have an electrode scale definitely get one, they're dirt cheap now and help keep your effort in perspective.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Lendryn wrote:
4 years ago
There's usually a bunch of good deals for benches on Craigslist. Definitely worth checking if you're interested.
I bought most of my plates from Craigslist. My collection has been slowly built over a 4-5 year period. I did splurge and get a commercial-grade bench new though. The crappy craigslist bench that I was using was flimsy and was getting sketchy as I started lifting heavier over time. Especially when benching incline, the bench started bending and shit with my 275lb ass incline benching 275lbs :lol: I've put up 365lbs raw once on a flat bench, and 425lbs for a few singles within the stretchy fabric of a slingshot. I figured I'd splurge on a good bench so it wouldn't break under my big ass and kill my damn self. Just about everything else has come second hand from craigslist.

Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Grindhouse wrote:
4 years ago
Great thread, health is very important. I work out in my garage as well and i love it, you can play the music you like and there is no downtime.
Here are a few pictures of the garage, i would love to have some more space.

Mirin the bumper plates. I keep putting off getting some. My shoulder mobility is shit. I do work in lots of rows from all kinds of different angles to try to keep them healthy against all the bench volume I get in. But I also want to start working cleans and stuff in. And it'd be nice to be able to just drop the bar whenever.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just an hour back from running. 5km's in 26 minutes. Just reminded how I hate running....but most efficiënt way to cut weight.

centurion
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago
Just an hour back from running. 5km's in 26 minutes. Just reminded how I hate running....but most efficiënt way to cut weight.
I hate running. Long live the life of the powerfatter, where you lift heavy for 15 seconds and then sit down and eat something for 5-10 minutes in between sets :lol:

But I feel like garbage when I'm not running. Just lifting doesn't cut it for me. But I still hate running so much.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Even worse if you dont maintain it weekly to run at least twice a week, you'll soon notice it in LOSS of stamina, pace & ease of doing it.

Running is necessary but a huge friggin pain in the ass.

centurion
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago
Even worse if you dont maintain it weekly to run at least twice a week, you'll soon notice it in LOSS of stamina, pace & ease of doing it.

srs

When I lift consistently I'm just beat up all the time. But when I run, I feel like I sleep more easily, get more rested from the sleep that I do get, and just have more energy throughout the day. It's amazing how much of a difference cardio health actually makes throughout the day.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
4 years ago

I just got back into running after not having done so for almost a year. Talk about stamina loss lol. But man, cardio is really the best way to lose fat.

Ironforge
donator Posts: 19
Dwarf
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Working out is a good idea, not only do you prepare yourself for unhealthy session of gaming, but you also muster up a greater hunger to be a sloth.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I play football (soccer for the yanks) to keep me fit during this part of the year. I will be finishing up my season just as Classic drops, which is a shame, but at least my body will be in a decent shape to begin with.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Well a month into classic, I haven't done shit but sit my ass down all day every day and grind out levels. I'm way too fat for this. I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and walked my ass into my garage and tested my bench press. I was able to hit 335lbs for a single, which boggles my mind because that's only 30lbs off my lifetime PR from a couple of years ago. And I haven't really trained bench for about a year or something.

Tonight I got my fat ass into the garage to test my squat and hit 435lbs for a single - which itself is a 10lb PR. And I haven't really trained for at least a year. My squat always sucked, I don't know what happened but after not training for like a year my squat form seems magically better and I'm stronger now for it. So I'm thrilled with tonight's number. It's not normal to set personal records on the first day of training unless you're a rank novice in the weight room...

My deadlift is way down from my old 556lb PR. I'm struggling to pull 495lbs right now. But I think my starting position went to shit since I stopped training. I think just a few tweaks to my form off the floor might get a chunk of that number back. My other lifts are about where they used to be somehow.

All in all though, pretty happy with where my baseline seems to be right now. Still managing a garage total of ~~1,265lbs which I'm very happy to start a training block at after so much time off. Time to get my fat ass back in the garage after work before I log in and grind out some training sessions. At 6'3 280lbs I'm way too fat to sit on my ass all day and only grind levels in classic.

Hope you guys are all managing to get some exercise or training in between grinding sessions. A little blood flow between sessions is good for the mind.

Azshara
donator Posts: 7
Horde
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

What is your bodyweight? These are some big lifts after such a long break. I weight 85kg, I've managed to get to 190kg single deadlift (hook grip powa) in a year of casual powerlifting (3 trainings per week doing some sort of starting strength programming) but I stopped as it became too repetitive. I now started with weightlifting, it brings more joy from movement. My mobility improved nicely from switch to high bar squats. I still avoid any sort of cardio tho.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stokuref wrote:
4 years ago
... I still avoid any sort of cardio tho.
Wish I could say the same. Yesterday was tabata leg-day. Means all leg exercises 8 reps of 20 secs and in between 10 sec break at max speed.

Doing the penguine waddle now... upside is after summer holiday went from 90kg to 86 now. Have to be 83kg by mid february :confused:

Sikeo