Mage Frost
donator Posts: 107
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I just ran through my talents there and I'd like to know if there are any suggestions or improvements to my talents
https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... 3102351051

I couldn't find another thread about this

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

What is this for leveling spec, pvp or pve?

Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |
Mage Frost
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Basically all, I plan to level into this spec so I don't have to respec later on for raids and maybe pvp a bit as well (nothing serious)

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I mean if its for all, then there is no wrong spec since you can claim a talent is for X.

By looking at what you have, it looks fine, the only thing I would change is maybe going for improved counter spell, I think its very powerful.
But if you dont want to sacrifice those points in frost, I'm a Permafrost guy, I would swap out the Frost Bite to get Permafrost. But thats me because of preference, I really enjoy that talent in a frost build!

Stfuppercut
Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |
Mage Frost
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Ok thanks, I think I'll stick to Frostbite instead, any ideas how to change the talents to get Improved Counterspell (is it even worth it?)

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Maybe something like this...https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... 3101351051

Its hard to make a build if you have all aspects in your mind without losing some good talents though.
All the cookie cutter builds are designed usually for one aspect of the game.

Because usually some pvp talents are useless or not as strong in raids/dungeons than against players
And vise versa, pvp doesnt care too much about mana management or threat when trying to kill your opponent.
It's not a 5 min battle, its best to get the frostbites or counter spell or damage increase

Stfuppercut
Image Image
Image Image
Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 102
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just a heads up with frostbite it will be very hard to aoe grind.

Stfuppercut
Mage Frost
Gnome
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thats pretty good as well thanks for the suggestion. I suppose I'll just leave it for now and think about it again when the time comes

Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Apol wrote:
4 years ago
Thats pretty good as well thanks for the suggestion. I suppose I'll just leave it for now and think about it again when the time comes
I know respecing can be expensive if you do it too much but don't be afraid to respec.

Stfuppercut
Image Image
Image Image
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Great posts from the @Nyxt and @Grindhouse already. You will want to modify your spec and in some cases NEED to modify your spec. Want to AoE grind? Frostbite ruins it. Want to raid? You may be assigned Winters Chill, and if you are not, that frees up 5 talents you can use elsewhere to increase your throughput. Want to PvP? You're going to want to invest in far more utility based talents.

Frost mages have it good because you can raid and PvP competently with one spec, but you will always need to sacrifice your optimization in one regard or another if you want to play two aspects of the game. When it comes to suggestions, we could link you the "best" or top performing PvP spec/specs, or we could link you the "best" PvE spec for pure throughput. If you want to do both, it will be a choice that you will need to make, because you're going to have to sacrifice your optimization in one aspect of the game or the other.

I'll give you an example...

https://classicdb.ch/?talent#of0Ab0bZZViGhRbtbo would be a general frost PvP build. You will notice imp counterspell. Imp counterspell is massive for PvP. Similarly you will notice the lack of winters chill, which most raids will run as a mandatory debuff slot and assign this talent to a few mages. You will also notice that we are short 1 point on elemental precision and we dont have anything in piercing ice; both would be highly valuable in a PvE build. Look at the massive investment of points into freezing and shattering targets for PvP; all of these points are useless in raids where bosses can not be frozen. These will all add up and be huge concerns for your PvE team. Do you need to swap specs to raid as a frost mage? No. Can you find a balance between PvE and PvP? Without a doubt. Would we recommend you level, raid and PvP on the same spec? No, not in good faith. The reality is that you will be leveling with one spec (or potentially several if you switch up your method along the way), you will be dungeon grinding/ grinding gold as another spec, you will be high end raiding/PvPing with another spec and that final spec, will change and adapt for the needs of your raid team / PvP team (if you choose to have one) and that spec will also change as your gear increases and your statline changes which will ultimately raise or lower the value of certain talent points as you progress through the game.

You would be handicapping yourself by a lot if you decided to use the same spec from level 1-60 and beyond.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Best advice I can give is go here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1091. I could fill up a mile of "what if" specs for you but it would be best for you to crack the books and find what will work best. Join the Mage discord channel listed under "Mage Specific". It has some of the best talent guides. Plus, the people in that channel talk every aspect of Mage all day every day. If you can't decide after a few days of hard research then just roll as a Rogue.

Our time will come.