donator Posts: 2
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This will be my first char, I don't plan on having many alts.

I really want to play with Eng/Mining as I plan on doing mostly world PVP/BG's. But I also want to be able to get my mounts at 40 and 60 without any major gold issues.

Is it feasible to level with Eng/Mining and still get the mounts easily enough?

If not, I was thinking Tailoring/Skinning for gear/bags and gold making through skinning.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

JezzaLeo wrote:
4 years ago
But I also want to be able to get my mounts at 40 and 60 without any major gold issues.
Skinning. You will take skinning.
JezzaLeo wrote:
4 years ago
Is it feasible to level with Eng/Mining and still get the mounts easily enough?
Yes. You can take any profession combination or no proffesions at all and still get your mounts with relative ease. How do YOU plan on making gold? What is YOUR strategy? Many people like taking a gathering proff like skinning because it blends well with leveling. At 60 many will find a few gathering proffs as the easiest solution to earning their epic mount. You can get gold without proffesions, but if you dont have a gameplan for that, youre better off just taking skinning/herb and grinding out the gold.

You can/should change your proffs at a later time. People like to exaggerate the time sink into rerolling proffs. Engi is a particularly quick and cheap (depending on phase and server economy) proffesion to level at the auction house.

Many will advocate to level your proffesions as you go, and there is merit to this as going back can be repetitive. I would argue that from an efficiency standpoint, its actually better to go back at 60 and level your proffs with a mount than it is to waste valuable bag space and time hunting for nodes and stifling your leveling progress to slowly level up a proffesion. From my perspective, the cost of opportunity for not hitting 60 faster and by prolonging my leveling process, is simply too high. For others the proffesions themselves and the grind to level them adds value to their leveling experience.

edit: skinning is especially valuable for a mage who plans on doing some AoE grinding.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
donator Posts: 30
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Super fast leveling: no professions.
Medium speed leveling: mining/skinning.
Slow leveling: mining/engineering.
No matter what you do, end up tailoring/engineering once you have some money.
It’s better to get a level or two in the time it takes to level a profession, but if you’re leveling slowly, you’ll get a lot of benefit from it, particularly in pvp.