donator Posts: 61
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Saw this on Reddit... is there any accuracy to this statement? I ask because this class hasn't been mentioned thus far in the discussion...

In my opinion, the most OP class is Ele Shaman, they require so little gear to get going and are a crit-monster from start to finish. They do have a very high skill cap (totem control is key), and to play the best possible way you are going to want to go Orc and be an Engineer. I believe there is a video of a shaman killing people naked back in the day as well.

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@ejangle First time I've ever heard that. I did a quick test on sixtyupgrades to see what your dungeon gear would look like and came out with ~139 spell damage, nothing to write home about. The elements set really has an identity crisis with stats and you don't want to be running around in cloth in BGs.

I played about a day's worth of shaman on retrowow and there was a lot of drinking involved. When you can't delete people with one chain lightning + bolt + shock combo it's a serious drain to keep casting on them and often I had to retreat from a fight to try and get a sip in, or else resort to smacking people impotently with frostbrand weapon. Granted I was out-geared most of the time and also running 30/0/21 so no elemental mastery. You don't have evocation, innervate, life tap, etc, and ghostwolf is a 3 second cast untalented so you won't be leaving the fight easily either. You'll also be acutely aware of your lack of hard CC as soon as a melee class pounces on you.

I think that last point is the big reason ele shamans are gear dependent. If you look up a recent pvp video from a private server you'll see them winning 1vX scenarios by virtue of their gear and getting a lucky cluster of crits to remove someone from the fight at the outset. They're always completely out of mana by the end. Not surprising since this is also the main reason they aren't used in raids.

Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@Lendryn Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.... sincerely appreciate your insight.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ShamelessEU wrote:
4 years ago
Cletus wrote:
4 years ago
Warrior. I hope everyone is running around as gearless warriors lol.
As a mage, do you really care whether the warrior is geared or not?? :wink: :wink:

Our time will come.
Blasted Lands
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 201
Human
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Cletus wrote:
4 years ago
ShamelessEU wrote:
4 years ago
Cletus wrote:
4 years ago
Warrior. I hope everyone is running around as gearless warriors lol.
As a mage, do you really care whether the warrior is geared or not?? :wink: :wink:
Woooooosh me

Cletus
EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
donator Posts: 74
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Cold Blood/Hemo/Preparation rogues. I'd say they're the best class for early 60 pvp where no one else is geared much either.

ejangle
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Swans wrote:
4 years ago
Cold Blood/Hemo/Preparation rogues. I'd say they're the best class for early 60 pvp where no one else is geared much either.
Is this true even with the 1.12 changes to rogues?

Also, forgive my complete ignorance/laziness but is this a dagger spec? If so, I remember there being a solid blue dagger, Barman Shanker, that could be soloed in BRD. If I recall, it's a pretty solid option all the way up to MC drops... gutgore and perditions.

Cheers.

4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ejangle wrote:
4 years ago
Swans wrote:
4 years ago

Also, forgive my complete ignorance/laziness but is this a dagger spec? If so, I remember there being a solid blue dagger, Barman Shanker, that could be soloed in BRD. If I recall, it's a pretty solid option all the way up to MC drops... gutgore and perditions.

Cheers.
What changes are you referring to? I'm out of the loop if Blizzard has made an announcement regarding changing rogues for classic.

This would be with a sword build due to how strong hemo is with swords, daggers are great for pvp (please note that hemo is pretty terrible for daggers, don't ever play hemo daggers) but good daggers are a lot more rare than good swords, and people at early 60 aren't going to have the gear to run it very well, t1 5 set makes dagger rogue so much better.

Also Barman's Shanker isn't good for raiding because of the debuff it can apply (I'm assuming it can proc in 40 mans) serious groups are going to want all debuffs set up perfectly and if you knock off an important debuff people are going to get annoyed.

Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Swans wrote:
4 years ago
ejangle wrote:
4 years ago
Swans wrote:
4 years ago

Cheers.
What changes are you referring to? I'm out of the loop if Blizzard has made an announcement regarding changing rogues for classic.

This would be with a sword build due to how strong hemo is with swords, daggers are great for pvp (please note that hemo is pretty terrible for daggers, don't ever play hemo daggers) but good daggers are a lot more rare than good swords, and people at early 60 aren't going to have the gear to run it very well, t1 5 set makes dagger rogue so much better.

Also Barman's Shanker isn't good for raiding because of the debuff it can apply (I'm assuming it can proc in 40 mans) serious groups are going to want all debuffs set up perfectly and if you knock off an important debuff people are going to get annoyed.
Ah gotcha, so it'll be the dal rends blades to shoot for... or maybe a krol. I'll keep rogue in mind but I'm leaning towards Mage or Hunter at the moment.

4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ejangle wrote: Ah gotcha, so it'll be the dal rends blades to shoot for... or maybe a krol. I'll keep rogue in mind but I'm leaning towards Mage or Hunter at the moment.
Honestly, don't waste your money on a krol blade, a thrash blade will do better than a krol blade in a raid environment, you will replace it quickly!

Though I am confused about what rogue changes you were talking about!

Stfuppercut