Priest Holy
donator Posts: 14
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I just started a project that is dedicated to gathering census data via an ingame addon and renderring it into some filterable charts on a website. So far I've collected some decent samples and also some other people from the beta joined and submitted data.
If you wanna have a look on it, you can find it here:

Sumi0z teebling MeatLumps Rinkusan Selexin Stfuppercut Lendryn s1atan couchatron Vortex Nesface Snoober
Paladin Protection
donator Posts: 8
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Really intresting, well done :surprised:

"I do not serve the Light. The Light serves me."
donator Posts: 30
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It seems to confirm what I suspected: mages are more popular than warriors. It seems a pretty clear result of increasing game knowledge, but I wonder if it will stay through to release. Hunter numbers are obviously slightly inflated for this reason of leveling. I’m not sure of the reason for priests. Maybe they fact that they’re known as the best healer by far except for a few niche situations, and shadow melts faces?

donator Posts: 1
Alliance
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Well at least I won't be hurting for food and water with all those mages running around.

Priest Holy
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ColdRain wrote:
4 years ago
It seems to confirm what I suspected: mages are more popular than warriors.
Ups, the screenshot is a snapshot from the beginning of the website from like 3 days ago. Now that other people started submitting data, the numbers look a bit different, at least for level 40, see here: https://wowclassicpopulation.com/charac ... Beta%20PvP

Edit: Also updated the picture in the first post

Warsong Gulch
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 85
Troll
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Really great job! I love seeing census data from WoW. I'll have to download the addon to contribute. Gotta get as much data as possible!

Deadwind Pass
US Grobbulus
donator Posts: 223
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

So many undeads.

Stfuppercut
<Tyranny>
Herod - PvP
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

christophrus wrote:
4 years ago
Ups, the screenshot is a snapshot from the beginning of the website from like 3 days ago. Now that other people started submitting data, the numbers look a bit different, at least for level 40.
Ah, damn, guess I was wrong. That's the strength of being the only class that can tank I suppose.

donator Posts: 16
Gnome
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Druids tank perfectly well also. Even more so when all the tanking content is 5 mans.

Selexin couchatron
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stupeed wrote:
4 years ago
So many undeads.
Right? I always like to look at these stats and then imagine how that impacts the quality of life of individual classes and specs. A warrior on alliance side will have a TOTALLY different PvE (raiding/gearing) experience than a horde warrior. A warlock on alliance side will have a totally different PvP experience than a horde warlock.

~10% of alliance are warlocks, even fewer of those will be actively participating in PvP and going for rank. Yet a whopping 38% of players (40% on the Beta PvP server) they will be competing against will be undead with will of the forsaken. That would be a brutal reality. Say what you will, but that is a massive difference in quality of life. Im not advocating that alliance warlocks are trash or that they arent relevant, simply that they will have a much more challenging time in PvP. This is especially true when meaningful buffs they use like soul link are just getting purged by shamans.

Lets look at the alliance warrior. 15% are warriors, 12% are rogues and 14% are paladins. Now look at the human population.... .... .... 42%!!!!! The alliance human warrior (BiS PvE racial) is competing for 2-hander swords with the rets, plate against the rets, 1-hander swords against the rogues and other warriors! Soooo much loot competition for swords to capitalize on the human racial! The horde warrior? 16% of horde are warriors. Only 27% are orc, actively seeking axes. No ret paladins to compete for plate. Rogues cant use the 1-hander axes. SO much easier to gear up for the min/max orc warrior than it is for the min/max human warrior. How about for the Orc warrior who is seeking to temporarily tank during his gearing phase? While paladin tanks are few and far between, they are still more common than shaman tanks. The Orc warrior has even more demand as a tank in 5 mans allowing him another opportunity to gear up a bit faster than the human warrior. All of these little advantages and differences add up.

There are tons and tons of instances of this, but it is interesting to consider the different adversity each of these class race combos will face depending on their faction. This makes the game super dynamic and I would not want it any other way. I don't think many people even consider the nuances in these early choices and how it will impact them throughout their entire experience. This is one of the great design pillars of Classic. You have choices and the game does not hold your hand... The game will let you make a choice that will hinder you. Perhaps you want the extra challenge, or perhaps you value some niche thing that you are willing to sacrifice for. Super interesting to think about though.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Great work. I'm really eager for this to get more data.

It's interesting to see how the current data lines up with the reddit class survey. The main discrepancy seems to be fewer Warlocks and more Hunters at level 40. But given the level cap it makes perfect sense — Death Coil (Rank 1) is trained at 42. If the cap is raised to 50 we might see that ratio change a lot.

Chart 1Show
Chart 2Show
Stfuppercut wrote:
4 years ago
~10% of alliance are warlocks, even fewer of those will be actively participating in PvP and going for rank.
Good, good... the fewer warlocks I run into the better. :mrgreen:

Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Not that detailed by far, but the Lightshope stats can give you some insight also:
https://lightshope.org/stats

Silver Hand is the new Server released on Saturday :)

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Priest Holy
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Not that detailed by far
What do you mean by that? You can go to the projects website and set filters for every single parameter.

Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I talking about the lightshope stats site, or did you only read "Not that detailed by far".

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Priest Holy
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
I talking about the lightshope stats site, or did you only read "Not that detailed by far".
You still didnt explained why it's "not that detailed by far". I'm very open to feedback and want to improve the project so I just want to understand what makes you feel that the stats you've linked are by far more detailled.

Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LIGHTSHOPE STATS - Because I mentioned in THIS THREAD for people who wanna see some ACTUAL STATS from the Private Servers (They are bigger than the beta, also the new Silverhand realm which got released on Saturday is already bigger than the beta)

It has nothing to do with your project.

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Priest Holy
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LIGHTSHOPE STATS
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Ahhh now I think I understand, you just talked shit for the sake of an attention grabbing introduction to advertise a pserver that will be dead in 2 month. Gross

Stfuppercut
Priest Holy
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 29
Troll
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

^ That's a pretty funky response to an otherwise harmless post, christophrus.

teebling Selexin
Saltybob <Senile Chieftains> - Shazzrah PvP (EU)
Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Not really, I just sent the people interested in stats a link where they can see how it is currently on the private servers. I'm sorry, but the beta stats aren't really meaningful at the moment.

On the private servers you currently have a much larger range of players. Best example is Silver Hand, which was opened on Saturday to give people without beta access the chance to play one more time before the release.

And it's not advertising either. Apart from that, private servers and everything that has to do with them is allowed in this forum, it's not shit ;)

Edit:
I don't want to attack your project or present it badly, in the long run your project will probably become a very great stats site.
But here you have already lost a user...

Edit 2:
Test wanna see if some time or something change on the post.

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

jodon wrote:
4 years ago
Druids tank perfectly well also. Even more so when all the tanking content is 5 mans.
Not in pvp, which I assume is what everyone is doing.

Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ColdRain wrote:
4 years ago
jodon wrote:
4 years ago
What do you mean in with "not in PvP?"

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 2
Alliance
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

christophrus wrote:
4 years ago
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LIGHTSHOPE STATS
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Ahhh now I think I understand, you just talked shit for the sake of an attention grabbing introduction to advertise a pserver that will be dead in 2 month. Gross
What the hell. All he did was to link pserver stats in case someone was interested. Not once did he "talk shit" or "attention grabbed". Even complimenting you! The first thing he said was that yours is more detailed.

Why are you this hostile?

teebling jodon Selexin
donator Posts: 16
Gnome
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

ColdRain wrote:
4 years ago
jodon wrote:
4 years ago
What? Tanks don't really exist in pvp unless we are talking about FC which is the one thing where druids shine more than anyone in vanilla. You are making no sense.

Selexin aeh
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I think people in this thread are.... broken.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Priest Holy
Human
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

aeh wrote:
4 years ago
Not that detailed by far
aeh wrote:
4 years ago
On the private servers you currently have a much larger range of players. Best example is Silver Hand, which was opened on Saturday to give people without beta access the chance to play one more time before the release.
Well, there is a huge difference between the detailedness of a statistic and the sample set it uses. It's obviously not my fault, when you talk about the detailedness of the projects statistics, but actually mean it's sample set.

I absolutely agree that the sample set from the beta is maybe highly biased, but we dont really know that.

But do you really think that the sample set of this private server is not biased? First of all only people that don't care about piracy join them and thats a huge bias from a statistical point of view, especially when you aim for representative statistic about the whole playerbase. The second huge thing that prevents avarage people from being represented in the set is accessibility. Initially you have to be aware that pservers are a thing, then you have to find one, register on their site, search the net for a client that is compatible with their server and edit a config file. I know thats no that difficult at all for people like us, but its definitly too much effort for an avarage person, only to join a server that becomes meaningless 2 month later. So what you probably see in a sample set from this specific pserver is highly invested hardcore players. Just to be a bit hyperbolic on this point for fun, thats like trying to make predictions on a real market stock by analyzing a random dark net market place inside the tor net :-P

The next big thing you have to think about is, that sample size is not everything that matters in statistic. Sure in general more samples are always better, but when you can select from a pool of people that you have a lot of information about, then a hand-selected set of 1k samples is far superior to a set with a size of like 10k samples that has a lot of unknown bias in it.

Yes it's true. we don't know how Blizzard actually selected the player base for the beta, but I would expect, that they've statistical professionals on their team that finely selected the samples to ensure a high level of diversety, so that they can collect meaningful, representative statistics for themselfs, to be able to predict different things that are important for them for launch. But yeah the data in the census project isn't very complete, at least not for pvp realm horde side, because we are getting data from that side only since thursday. But that only really matters for the overall statistic of that realm, and not so much for the horde specific statistic at level 40. So after all, if I had to make an assertion I would say, that the data from the beta is more representative compared to the pservers one.

But finally I dont think anybody of us is really capable of finding out which sample set is "worse" or "better" and so no one can really make a valid statement about it.