Druid Feral
donator Posts: 2
Night Elf
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hi, i wanna know if a Druid tank/dps would be viable for leveling and doing dungeons, maybe endgame? im asking because i'm getting a group of friends to play Classic, half of them never played WoW, the other half well we played Vanilla back in the day but, never played a tank and this time i wanted to get the role of the tank and well everyone seems to be on the Warrior train, and that means a lot of ppl looking for the same gear.
So basically i want something i can tank dungeons with and do some pvp in cat form? idk never played druid but looks really fun.

I don't really know if its good at all at those roles, i've heard they're only good at healing.

Thanks in advance :)

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Absolutely yes.

But in early dungeons you will be fighting rogues and hunters for gear. Worth saying: since you're the tank you could just not invite these classes to your party. But then the same is true if you played warrior.

Stfuppercut
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Maskin wrote:
5 years ago
Hi, i wanna know if a Druid tank/dps would be viable for leveling and doing dungeons, maybe endgame?
https://classicwow.live/guides/22/treat ... in-vanilla
https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic ... crestfall/

It is certainly viable, and in some cases optimal. Tanking is great, dps is OK and with the right items and talents can be quite viable. PvP is decent, especially world PvP. It is dynamic and very enjoyable.

Stfuppercut
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Maskin wrote:
5 years ago
Hi, i wanna know if a Druid tank/dps would be viable for leveling and doing dungeons, maybe endgame?
Yep! Two great posts above. I'd argue that Taladril is one of the most informed/best feral druids currently (as linked by @Selexin). His guide Taladril's Treatise on Druid Tanking highlights all of the questions you have: https://www.warcrafttavern.com/guides/t ... n-vanilla/

It might just be one of the best guides I have ever seen.

I will say that playing a meme spec or hybrid spec is an uphill battle. It wont be sunshine and rainbows all of the time. When it comes to endgame you will work twice as hard for half of the reward (throughput, respect, loot priority). You have to be competent in every form of your class (if you want to play in a competent guild) to provide your raid value and it will be great if you're willing to compromise for the raid. As long as you realize the cons of playing a meme spec and are up for the challenge, they are 100% viable.

Selexin Pippina
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Druid Feral
donator Posts: 2
Night Elf
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thanks a lot, all the info is really helpfull and now im even more commited to play Druid in classic so i'll def check those guides in deep

Selexin
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Tanking can be separated into 2 parts. Survival and Threat.

- Tanking Warriors excel at Survival.
- Feral Druids excel at Threat.

So... yes more than viable, not only viable but optimally succeeding in a category.

Selexin
Image    Image    Image
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Caperfin wrote:
5 years ago
Tanking can be separated into 2 parts. Survival and Threat.

- Tanking Warriors excel at Survival.
- Feral Druids excel at Threat.

So... yes more than viable, not only viable but optimally succeeding in a category.
Is this true though? I feel like warriors running a fury build and dual wielding can establish FAR more threat per second and then hot swap to a shield when they need to mitigate. I know this is becoming the new tanking meta on private. Fury warriors allowing the group to unleash on the mob, then the warrior taunts to jump the threat, everyone pauses while the fury opens up on the mob, then he swaps to sword and board and has a massive threat cushion. Typically this is done with two warriors in case a taunt gets resisted. I don't know much about tanking but I feel like fury warriors have the highest capacity for TPS if played aggressively. Surely ferals best warriors for TPS while leveling and pre raid though, but when it counts in late game, I think warriors have them in both categories. Granted I could be mistaken.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 165
Horde
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Right because fury warrs will be tripping on all the thunderfury's that are laying around.

Guess that Caperfins summary pretty much covers it, outside of a few extraordinairy examples.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
5 years ago
Right because fury warrs will be tripping on all the thunderfury's that are laying around.

Guess that Caperfins summary pretty much covers it, outside of a few extraordinairy examples.
Who said anything about thunderfury?

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
5 years ago
Forsakenone wrote:
5 years ago

Who said anything about thunderfury?
Thought you mentioned that, my bad.

Ontopic: yes feral tank is viable but requirers some skill, attention and dedication.

Elwynn Forest
US Old Blanchy
donator Posts: 102
Alliance
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Never really hit a ceiling with feral tank, been playing it for years. Realy the only roadblock you run into is idiots who think druid != warrior, therefore cannot tank. But, you dodge a bullet when they dont let you join because I have found them to be pretty toxic people to roll with. But in short, there isnt much a feral druid cant tank, but end game tanking in raids is 100% doable.

Feral druid is great dps, and can top the charts agaist a competent pure dps class, the only difference, is to top charts against a mage, you will need to prep and use a lot of consumables for the raid. Im interested to see how this looks on classic.

I haven't figured out how to make balance druid work in raids yet. If someone could link me to some literature on that, please let me know. The short, is mana runs out no matter what I try. Even stacking int or stacking spirit/mp5. Should be interesting to see how this turns out in classic, as we are seeing different regen rates in the beta. But balance is good for dungeon and pvp.

Obv. Heals is the meta, so no issues on restro.

Also, druid is considered a top tier leveling class. I think most people rank them #2 behind hunters, but I would say they are far far FAR more fun to play than a hunter.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

beached wrote:
5 years ago
Never really hit a ceiling with feral tank, been playing it for years. Realy the only roadblock you run into is idiots who think druid != warrior, therefore cannot tank. But, you dodge a bullet when they dont let you join because I have found them to be pretty toxic people to roll with. But in short, there isnt much a feral druid cant tank, but end game tanking in raids is 100% doable.
Toxicity is all based on your perspective. I have played with excellent ferals that understood their support role and would adapt to the needs of the guild. I have also played with "DPS feral druids" who needed to put in twice the effort only to find themselves half way up the dmg meter taking loot from rogues that are in the top 3 dps within the guild. These same ferals refused to tank and refused to respec when the guild needed it. Obviously these ferals were quickly replaced or benched because they werent providing value to the team. Was the team toxic for removing them?
beached wrote:
5 years ago
Feral druid is great dps, and can top the charts agaist a competent pure dps class...
"Great dps". This is where we cross the line from acknowledging that druids are viable and start to get a bit unrealistic. Two players of equal competence, with equivalent gear and consumes, the feral isnt winning on DPS against a pure DPS class in most circumstances. Part of being competent is using the appropriate consumes and preparing for a raid. If a feral is doing that and is playing with a group of guys who are not min/maxing their spec, not bringing consumes and are generally disinterested in the success of their team, they are not competent and this is not a compelling argument to label feral druids "great dps". This line of thinking is what gets meme specs into trouble. You are not great dps. You are not a GREAT tank. You are a viable tank and you can ALSO provide viable dps. You can also brez... You provide value in almost every category but specialize in none.

Selexin
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
donator Posts: 74
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

They're both fine for leveling, offtanking as Druid is fine in raids but nobody really wants a dps druid in their raid. Requires way too much gear to even compete moderately with pure dps classes. Dps druids are a waste of a raid spot and almost as bad as ret paladins, they're a joke.

Stfuppercut
Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Guys this discussion is going sideways. The title covers the general topic: is feral spec viable?

Guess we can conclude that the dps is from a min-max perspective is not great, and the tanking is good not excellent.

All in all ferals are certainly viable specially when they are flexible, adaptive.

Stfuppercut
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Forsakenone wrote:
5 years ago
Guys this discussion is going sideways. The title covers the general topic: is feral spec viable?

Guess we can conclude that the dps is from a min-max perspective is not great, and the tanking is good not excellent.

All in all ferals are certainly viable specially when they are flexible, adaptive.
I think its important to have this sort of discourse because it highlights the distinction between what is viable and what is optimal. As you can see, the thread starts with a reasonable take on what is viable/achievable and shifts to players claiming that druids are optimal... This is a very important shift in the conversation and has to be addressed for would-be players. Most of the WoW population (from my anecdotal experience) sits on either side of the fence with meme specs and very few people take a balanced approach. Either they believe meme specs are optimal or they cast these players aside and refuse to interact with them. Neither is true/appropriate.

It is incredibly important for players who intend to play as a feral to understand people on both sides of the fence and to take a balanced approach to playing their character. You WILL need to collect more gear and consumes than anyone else. You WILL need to work twice as hard for an opportunity and you will lose that opportunity twice as fast. You WILL need to put in 10X the effort for half of the reward. You WONT be topping damage meters. You WONT be the main tank in a competent raiding guild. You WILL provide value to your team that NO one else can replicate IF you are willing to be adaptable. You will be one of a kind but you shouldn't expect to be treated that way.

Lets not romanticize this journey but lets also not condemn it. You are viable. You are not optimal. There are circumstances where you CAN be optimal, but they are very few in number and the likelihood that you will even be given the chance to prove that, is low. Raids dont bring many druids. Not many players will be playing druid, this is not a coincidence. You are CHOOSING to travel the road less traveled and it is important to understand what that entails. @Swans is the average player you will be interacting with in any competitive environment. His opinion on this, as abrasive as it may be, is very valuable to the conversation for context.

peon
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Arathi Basin
US Stalagg
donator Posts: 22
Alliance
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
5 years ago
Forsakenone wrote:
5 years ago

I think its important to have this sort of discourse because it highlights the distinction between what is viable and what is optimal. As you can see, the thread starts with a reasonable take on what is viable/achievable and shifts to players claiming that druids are optimal...

...snip...
Important distinction right there. Similar to saying that Feral and Balance PVP Druids are top tier after watching a StormX video... StormX is playing Druid at a very high level that is not easily replicated by the mass populace, but that does not equate to being top tier... Great post Uppercut.

Druid Feral
EU Gehennas
Horde
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

@stfuppercut he is usually pretty much spot on. The comment by Swans is a little rough around the edges without the appropriate arguments. But to each his own.

And like StfU said u need more gear and pots. This is a very valid point.

But than again much of the feral Bis list isnt really high on the hunter, rogue wish list let alone the healing leather gear.