donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hi!

So my mate is going Warrior for Classic. Ive been playing since vanilla, but never hit 60 til BC hit, so i have experience.

I have narrowed my choices to: Mage, Priest or Lock.

Mage because of free food and drink and portals. Priest because of heals and Lock because of Pet.

Which do you think is best to support a Warrior friend. Our goal is 60, but not a speed run. We want to enjoy.

Thank you in advance!!

Rogue Subtlety
donator Posts: 28
Undead
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I didn't play in Vanilla but everywhere I go I'm told that Priest/Warrior is an unstoppable killing machine.

Stfuppercut
Luthilan - Undead Rogue - Herod
Winterspring
donator Posts: 47
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Well, definitely a healer. Id say between a priest or a druid. Priest will keep you alive easier, but a druids got your back in case of world pvp.

Stfuppercut
You think you do, but you do.
Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If it's down to those choices Priest, no contest. In both PvP and PvE you'll have more synergy. But the other three healers are worth considering.

Stfuppercut
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Priest.

Selexin
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Priest for maximum fighting capabilities
Mage for maximum ooc utility.
Warlock doesnt have great synergy.

Desolace
donator Posts: 29
Horde
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
Priest for maximum fighting capabilities
Mage for maximum ooc utility.
Warlock doesnt have great synergy.
I disagree when it comes to lock, but he will be your support then. But it's a great duo team.

Warrior teamed with druid/paladin/shaman is amazing, nonstop dps duo with great versatility and builtin support heals.

couchatron
Loch modan
EU Razorgore
Dwarf
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Teaming up with a druid makes for some awkward 20 levels when the druid could run faster but has to wait for his mate.

Selexin
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

If out of your choices then a priest.

However I’d also recommend Shaman for the insane Windfury Totem and healing. Great for levelling.

Selexin FTHforever Toraak
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Priest is very good as a support. If you want to dominate in open world PVP there are better choice though. I personally found very fun to go around with a warr + hunter combo. It's not the strongest combo but it's very entertaining

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

yeah i recently grouped up with a warrior for low levelling questing in silverpine forest for an hour or so on my priest alt on a tbc server. first time levelling a priest so I was pretty blown away by how good the combo was. We never stopped to eat or drink and he would be pulling groups of 4-5 mobs at a time. just precast a shield and your hot on him and send him off and its unstoppable. you can dot all the mobs or just wand them if youre trying to conserve mana, but you should make sure youre getting spirit taps in there so you get that sweet regen

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
Dwarf
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Dont put a shield on a warrior unless absolutely necessary. He wont generate rage from absorbed damage.
And a warrior without rage is like a pizza without cheese.

5bx fendor Vinni couchatron Pluuf Shivus
Warlock Affliction
US Kirtonos
donator Posts: 363
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
Dont put a shield on a warrior unless absolutely necessary. He wont generate rage from absorbed damage.
LOL love this man! But he is right dont bubble not just cause of the rage but the mana cost...renew and heal, bubble when needed

The thread says best support for warrior and it has to be Paladin hands down, if your alliance, for the heal, survivability and support with cleanse and freedom, etc.

But from the choices you have given its priest by a little bit.
Yes the heals and dispels are great but you can take out more mobs with mage or warlock and have more control even in pvp.
So it would be preference to be honest and play style. Do you want to help the warrior by healing and contribute a little bit to killing mobs or players go priest, if you want to help kill the mobs and sheep, frost nova, slow, fear, voidwalker tank (control) to help your warrior then mage or warlock. Also for warlock would be given the warrior healthstones and soulstone to off set the priest healing but having more control and alot more dps.

The edge with priest is healing, resurrect, and when you run dungeons, just need 3 dps and that should be very easy to find!

So.....Paladin----------------------------->Priest-->(Mage=Warlock)

Image Image
Image Image
| Nýxt - Demonology Warlock | Kirtonos PVP | Level 50 | - | Awkaran - Resto Druid | Kirtonos PVP | Level 20 |
| Fatherbatch - Holy Priest | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 | - | Reignmaker - Frost Mage | Kirtonos PVP | Level 1 |
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Warriors and Priest's pair up pretty well in PVE.
Don't consider the rdps choices, if you want to stick with mage/priest/warlock and if you aren't a experienced player ( then I would go for lock, but ymmv).

But if you want to pair up in PvP too, Paladin or Shaman. It's not TBC yet, because then I would say Druid's or Shaman.

Silverpine Forest
OC Arugal
donator Posts: 124
Undead
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
ah, rip, good to know for future if i decide to level the class properly. being whacked on by a bunch of murlocs when youve only got on a few greens though is a little necessary for using the shield i'd say. but as the warriors get more geared i can see that being reduced a lot, ty for the schooling :biggrin:

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 6
Alliance
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

In PvP situations you'll probably want a paladin with you. Priest is fine too, but things like BoM and HoF are amazing.

Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
Teaming up with a druid makes for some awkward 20 levels when the druid could run faster but has to wait for his mate.
This totally. Whenever I think of duo leveling, I try to think of mutual value. A warrior sucks to level alone where as a mage and lock are very independent. A priest will gain MORE value out of duo leveling than either a mage or a lock. The mage starts to get teleport at 20 allowing him to traverse the world with relative ease and doesn't get portals until 40. The mage also has blink... The warrior is sure to lag behind.

Of the three options the OP suggested "Mage, Priest or Lock" a mage would likely get the warrior to 60 with the shortest time played, but the mage would suffer ALL the way there and would be carrying the warrior. Similarly a lock has good synergy with the warrior in world PvP and this comp can work, but the warrior is holding the warlock back. While a priest isn't terrible to level solo, he will amplify the warriors value ALL the way to 60. They have great synergy in world pvp, they have a built in dungeon group as tank/heals, they can collect their preBiS together in dungeons, they can easily secure a raid spot together and potentially use each other as leverage (a tank carrying an Spriest to a spot or a healing priest securing a spot for his PvP specd warrior friend) and then they become wrecking machines in PvP if you decide you want to PvP. The relationship between a priest and warrior will ALWAYS be mutually beneficial, they both enhance each others play. No one has to compromise.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Paladin Retribution
donator Posts: 64
Dwarf
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Jarshwar wrote:
5 years ago
mate is going Warrior for Classic. Ive been playing since vanilla, but never hit 60 til BC hit, so i have experience.
If you're playing Alliance, and you're willing to slightly bend your class choice, I'd play Dwarf Holy Paladin.

https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=20594/stoneform - gets rid of https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=2094/blind (which is a poison in vanilla) as well as other rogue poisons like https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=11400 ... poison-iii and https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=13230/wound-poison-iv. (also prevents bleeds and increases armor by 10%, super effective vs rogue and warrior)
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=20729 ... -sacrifice - prevent yourself from being https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=12826/polymorph
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=1044/ ... of-freedom - warrior's best friend. If you're not being purged it's very strong.
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=24274/hammer-of-wrath - ranged execute when your warrior is getting kited too hard.
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=1020/divine-shield - 12 seconds of immunity.

teebling Mirain

Fairbanks - Alliance
US Ret Pally - Fairbanks - <Team Naked>
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Nenski wrote:
5 years ago
play Dwarf Holy Paladin.
Recruiting for the holy light. Esfand would be proud.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Druid Balance
donator Posts: 52
Horde
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Arms Warrior + Resto Shaman is fun for PvP.

Resto Shaman is not as strong healer as the others but they offer utility and Windfury totem which is always appreciated by melees. They also offer nice interrupts and slows. For PvP a holy paladin with their freedom is also sick. If you can't kite a warrior you are most certainly dead.

For PvE in general any healer would do and if you want to play DPS, a class with cc or second tank is good such as hunter or warlock

Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 20
Alliance
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I've played around with a few warrior + something duos and like how warrior+mage feels. When I tested warrior+healer combinations I found that the healing capabilities we're underutilized and I would usually decide to save healer Mana for dps abilities and use a bandage on the warrior. My motivation for this research is that I'm going to be dualboxing warrior+something.

My experience is based on multiboxing so I was looking for duos that could rely on /follow and relatively simple ability rotations, which doesn't apply in your case so keep that in mind. I found one build with warrior+mage that you might be interested in. At level 20 when the warrior gets cleave it can hold aggro on 2 mobs while the mage spams arcane explosion. Adding sweeping strikes and whirlwind let's you tank more mobs at a time. The rotation feels great with 2 characters because it offsets the reduced exp rate. The mage will need Arcane Subtlety so the warrior doesn't lose aggro. You might be able to switch from AE to blizzard/CoC later depending on how many mobs the warrior can handle.

FuzzyDyce
Mulgore
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 60
Tauren
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

i was chatting with someone about this and we weren't sure - does stoneform actually BREAK Blind? The ability says "makes immune" so it's not worded the same as Will of the Forsaken ("May also be used while...."), and I never played a rogue or a dwarf in vanilla to know firsthand.

Paladin Retribution
donator Posts: 64
Dwarf
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Latsiv wrote:
5 years ago
i was chatting with someone about this and we weren't sure - does stoneform actually BREAK Blind? The ability says "makes immune" so it's not worded the same as Will of the Forsaken ("May also be used while...."), and I never played a rogue or a dwarf in vanilla to know firsthand.
Yes, you can use it while blinded.

Latsiv

Fairbanks - Alliance
US Ret Pally - Fairbanks - <Team Naked>
donator Posts: 4
Alliance
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thank you so much guys

Zanthir
donator Posts:
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Furiousfromage wrote:
5 years ago
I've played around with a few warrior + something duos and like how warrior+mage feels. When I tested warrior+healer combinations I found that the healing capabilities we're underutilized and I would usually decide to save healer Mana for dps abilities and use a bandage on the warrior. My motivation for this research is that I'm going to be dualboxing warrior+something.

My experience is based on multiboxing so I was looking for duos that could rely on /follow and relatively simple ability rotations, which doesn't apply in your case so keep that in mind. I found one build with warrior+mage that you might be interested in. At level 20 when the warrior gets cleave it can hold aggro on 2 mobs while the mage spams arcane explosion. Adding sweeping strikes and whirlwind let's you tank more mobs at a time. The rotation feels great with 2 characters because it offsets the reduced exp rate. The mage will need Arcane Subtlety so the warrior doesn't lose aggro. You might be able to switch from AE to blizzard/CoC later depending on how many mobs the warrior can handle.
I'm very interested in doing similar with warrior and mage dual box. What's the build you're referencing? You have the warrior go dps or do you go prot to hold aggo and mitigate while mage kills?