Mage Frost
donator Posts: 24
Night Elf
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Greetings,

I've seen this question discussed on various forums but never really seen any decent answers.

So, how much effort is required for the different ranks?
is it possible to reach rank 10 by just playing a couple of hours a day?
Do i need to be in a Pre-made or is it doable by myself?
Should i just forget about rank 13-14?
And will it be different from the various private servers and vanilla? will it be easier or harder?

Pluuf

Be the Hunter, not the hunted
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Rank 10 is doable with effort (a couple of hours per day should be suffice if you are not in a server where everyone is a try-hard).
Unless you have ~16 hours a day with a premade that will let you score a lot of points you can forget rank 14. It's really the most time-consuming and hardest thing to do in WoW Classic, by a long shot. There was a comment prefeclty explaining this on wowhead but I don't know if I will ever be able to find it again

FTHforever Pluuf
Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 34
Undead
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Ava wrote:
5 years ago
Yes, that should be possible.
Ava wrote:
5 years ago
No, but you should consider it. Since it is normally more fun and speed things up!
Ava wrote:
5 years ago
Probably yes, but I would not think about that yet. In vanilla it took the ppl in our premade-group at minimum 3 weeks (for the final rank) of total no-life, prior a couple of weeks (for the higher ranks) intense/stupidly battground-farming. We had also really low competition and decided together who to push to the high-ranks next.

Ava FTHforever Pluuf
Mage Frost
donator Posts: 24
Night Elf
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

neofrag wrote:
5 years ago
Ava wrote:
5 years ago
Yes, that should be possible.
Ava wrote:
5 years ago
No, but you should consider it. Since it is normally more fun and speed things up!
Ava wrote:
5 years ago
Probably yes, but I would not think about that yet. In vanilla it took the ppl in our premade-group at minimum 3 weeks (for the final rank) of total no-life, prior a couple of weeks (for the higher ranks) intense/stupidly battground-farming. We had also really low competition and decided together who to push to the high-ranks next.
How much difference is it between reaching rank 13 to rank 14? Would 13 be possible if i was nolifing for 2 weeks after ranking say rank 11?

Be the Hunter, not the hunted
Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 28
Human
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I actually was researching this the other day and the main issue isn't the distance between two honor ranks but the decay that occurs from missing any time at all. Here is the video that helped explain it the best to me:

cigarettes
Faelior of <Royal Authorities> on Grobbulus
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Tauren
Shaman
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Sudnep wrote:
5 years ago
I actually was researching this the other day and the main issue isn't the distance between two honor ranks but the decay that occurs from missing any time at all. Here is the video that helped explain it the best to me:
Yes, the main issue is the decay AND the fact that a maximum percentage of the playerbase is allowed at every high rank. After a certain point the people you collaborated with to get higher in rank are automatically your worst enemy, because you are risking to lose a spot to them.

Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Arathi Basin
donator Posts: 326
Undead
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Note, we are playing on patch 1.12 which allows more people to reach the high ranks. Furthermore, we now also know other things we didn't have back then. (brackets, brackets stacking etc)

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Twitch Channel, feel free to take a look :)!
Rogue Subtlety
Undead
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Wow, I never realized how brutal it is. I was hoping to get to at least rank 13 but I had no idea the level of consistent grind required. In my head I thought it was just HP over your lifetime and figured I'd get there eventually. Seeing this makes me sad to realize I'll be lucky to get even close.

Ode to the days of being able to play 10-12 hours a day.

Luthilan - Undead Rogue - Herod
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The effort will be very dependent on your individual server and how competitive the bracket is. I had a rank 13 spriest during retail vanilla, without knowing a lot of the specifics on the bracket etc... I just played a lot and I happened to play on a server with a REALLY noncompetitive bracket. If you find yourself on the premier PvP server in Classic (ex. tichondrius retail), obtaining rank 13/14 will be entirely unrealistic for the vast majority of the userbase. This is especially true if youre playing on a server with a ton of streamers. Streamers need content. 14-16 hours of PvP content is easy content. A streamer's server will have an insanely competitive top end bracket.

FTHforever
g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Arathi Basin
Human
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Luthilan wrote:
5 years ago
Ode to the days of being able to play 10-12 hours a day.
Amen to that.

Selexin
Faelior of <Royal Authorities> on Grobbulus
Mulgore
US Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 60
Tauren
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Stfuppercut wrote:
5 years ago
The effort will be very dependent on your individual server and how competitive the bracket is. I had a rank 13 spriest during retail vanilla, without knowing a lot of the specifics on the bracket etc... I just played a lot and I happened to play on a server with a REALLY noncompetitive bracket. If you find yourself on the premier PvP server in Classic (ex. tichondrius retail), obtaining rank 13/14 will be entirely unrealistic for the vast majority of the userbase. This is especially true if youre playing on a server with a ton of streamers. Streamers need content. 14-16 hours of PvP content is easy content. A streamer's server will have an insanely competitive top end bracket.
something i haven't seen discussed is how big the "battlegroups" will be, which i guess depends on how many servers they end up releasing. Looking at the battlegroups from 1.12, they were around 18 servers per battlegroup. unless we expect for there to be significantly more servers than that (and with the layering tech and how they are expected to use it, i doubt they will have a huge selection at launch), it could be the entire classic wow playerbase all competing in one battlegroup.

Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Depends on your server. I was actually going to respond to each of your questions until I realized "depends on your server" pretty much works for each of them.
This is kind of like all of the "which race/class/profession should I play?" questions. Only you know what you want to achieve. Do I know how motivated you are to achieve it? Probably not. Do you find the game fun in the same way I or anyone else does? Maybe. Sadly, the only way to really know what you should do or if you'll be able to do it is to get in game and get a feel for everything. There is often too much lost in translation when it comes to Vanilla players like myself trying to explain how good/bad or easy/hard things are or will be in Classic.
If rank 13 or 14 is something you want then you should try for it but understand there are many variables and also understand R13/14 doesn't make you a PvP god in classic which is often the reason folks try so hard for it, recognition. There are a plethora of Vanilla PvP videos that will show you just how easy it can be to take down R13/14's in far lesser gear. Then again, if this is not your motivation for rank 13 or 14 then who am I to say if it is worth it for you to grind for it or not.
Hope this helps even though it probably didn't. Have a wonderful day!

Ava Jon Bloodspray
Our time will come.
Warrior Fury
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 1169
Gnome
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Depends on your server. I was actually going to respond to each of your questions until I realized "depends on your server" pretty much works for each of them.
This is kind of like all of the "which race/class/profession should I play?" questions. Only you know what you want to achieve. Do I know how motivated you are to achieve it? Probably not. Do you find the game fun in the same way I or anyone else does? Maybe. Sadly, the only way to really know what you should do or if you'll be able to do it is to get in game and get a feel for everything. There is often too much lost in translation when it comes to Vanilla players like myself trying to explain how good/bad or easy/hard things are or will be in Classic.
This is entirely true for the majority of the posts on this forum but if we took that stance we wouldn't really be able to engage with one another casually. It sort of derails most of the conversations we have. This forums is filled with biased personal opinions supported by anecdotal evidence that leads to conjecture... But that is sort of the beauty of it. Interpret his question in whatever way you choose and participate in the conversation! He wants your personal opinion, as right or wrong as it may be. Maybe you think the rank 14 grind is impossible! Or maybe you think its super duper easy... Maybe you're going to highlight the specifics of the rank system, the decay and the average bracket on a high pop server. We can all agree that most of the questions on this forum are posed in really informal way (and sometimes unproductive way). "Effort required for the.." I could do a whole song and dance about the definition of effort and how our individual perspective is reality and bla bla bla... Just give him your opinion on the effort it takes to get rank 14 and have fun with it.

g0bledyg00k wrote:
4 years ago
Never making a single investment again until I 100% know it pays off.
2000 IQ :wink:
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I have played a ally Rogue, a Shaman and horde Warrior in vanilla honor system. Each were in the 'winning faction' of their Battlegroup (or Server, before 1.12!) and I got all of them to alterac exalted (which is pretty easy btw).
With the shaman I was in a premade, the others played with a friend or guildmate, but not a premade.
I played not more than 4 hours a day.

Getting ranks 1-5 is very easy, with a premade you can do it in one week.
In this section you can and will get 2 ranks even with a small time investment like 15 hrs / week.

At rank 6-8 it slows down, casual of 15 hrs per week will get you to rank 8, but there could be a week ( like alterac weekend ) where you can't get enough to rank up.

Now, with all toons I aimed for rank 10, but I only achieved that on warrior. My main motivation was getting the gear, which my rogue and shaman got much easier with doing PVE. Shaman stopped at R9, Rogue on R5 because I got 5/8 t1 and 3/8 t2 in a single raiding week.
Note that the premade just made it more reliable / faster to get ranks.

Starting here 8+, you need to invest more than just 15 hours per week, and plan a bit ahead. AV weekend is bad, because there will be more people do PVP, because they may just PVP to gain AV rep. So if you are going casual, just don't bother aiming to rank up in a AV week. Getting to r10 wasn't that difficult, but it took 4 weeks, with like 60% progress on rank per week. Rank 9 really sucks from reward POV btw.

Hope that helps you getting a feel for it, I am currently testing getting r10 again :biggrin:

Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Casual can get easy up to r10, after r10 the struggle begins.
But I have to say that with all the knowledge which is available now and with the experience of the last 5 years I see the ranking in Classic a little more relaxed.
You had a big problem on the private servers, the Americans and the Chinese. You always ranked against 2 other time zones, on Northdale I did 1,2mio honour for rank 11, what was needed for R13 at that time. That's why I won't stress so much.
Sure I know that on the server I'm going to play on there will be a lot of competition because of the guild I'm in, but that's exactly what we want.

As I said, there are addons like Honorspy that give you an overview about the honor and the players that will compete this week and are included in the calculation, furthermore we know all the formula by now. We also know exactly how big we can make the individual BRackets so that everyone gets his ranks.
The important thing is simply that on the server at least one person is aware of the system and wants to organize the brackets. We do it ourselves and keep the agreements with the other group(s), so it will be fun :)

FTHforever
Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Yeah getting high ranks on Northdale isn't something you do casually :lol:

aeh
Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

FTHforever wrote:
5 years ago
Yeah getting high ranks on Northdale isn't something you do casually :lol:
But with my premade back in august/september it was fun.

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Hunter Marksman
EU Zandalar Tribe
donator Posts: 83
Night Elf
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Piggy-backing off of this; what rank can I realistically expect to achieve when my playschedule doesn't allow me more than 5 hours per week?

Ava
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 34
Undead
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pluuf wrote:
5 years ago
what rank can I realistically expect to achieve when my playschedule doesn't allow me more than 5 hours per week?
With approx. 5h a week, I would expect a slow climb to a rank between 5 and 7.

But it highly depends on participation-rate of the battleground server-group.

Pluuf
Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

On a low competitive server also more. But R6 should be realistic.
But tbh. if you only have 5h per week, focus on PvE, get your Gear in PvE and do PvP later! :)

Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Redridge Mountains
donator Posts: 23
Alliance
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I can at most play 20 hours a week so:

Would rank 11 be realistic for someone playing 20 hours a week in Pugs?

If not would rank 10 be realistic for someone playing 20 hours a week in Pugs?

Thanks in advance

Arathi Basin
Undead
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

puuh, 20h a week would probably hard for r11.
Maybe if you play 2-3 weeks a little bit more. (depends on the server)

teebling
Undead Priest @ <reLAX>
Elwynn Forest
US Old Blanchy
donator Posts: 102
Alliance
Druid
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Ok, noob question incoming on this thread. I never pvp. If I do, I just pug a battleground. Never bothered myself with rank gear or even bothering to look at ranks.

Do ranks expire every week? Like, if I work my ass off for rank 13, is it only for 1 week? How does the rank gear work. If I have rank 13 pvp gear, and I am Rank 13 this week, I can wear it. But if I dont pvp for 1 week, I cant wear it anymore? None of the pvp guides talk about this. They say you need to rank up compared to other players, and the the cycled are 1 week long, but never address if you can get down ranked week to week, or if I need to maintain 6 different sets of pvp gear and equip only the peices of the rank I am that specific week.

Thanks for explaining!

Mulgore
US Skeram
donator Posts: 18
Horde
Mage
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So, it's obviously dependent on the server. But, to some degree, if I were to simply play a butt-ton, would I consistently rank up?

I'm honestly less concerned with perfect efficiency and coordinating with people on my server to maximize my honor gain, that just doesn't seem fun to me.

TL;DR will I be able to be my blue PvP set by just playing the game?

Felwood
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 80
Tauren
Hunter
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

cigarettes wrote:
4 years ago
So, it's obviously dependent on the server. But, to some degree, if I were to simply play a butt-ton, would I consistently rank up?

I'm honestly less concerned with perfect efficiency and coordinating with people on my server to maximize my honor gain, that just doesn't seem fun to me.

TL;DR will I be able to be my blue PvP set by just playing the game?
Blue PvP set should be possible by playing "normally" (that is without a premade). Here it's a question of how you define playing normally; I would not consider PvPing 20-30 hours a week playing normally. 20-30 hours a week was what it took for me to hit rank 10 on pservers. It will probably be a lower investment on Classic because at least on my server people seem less fanatic than on pservers but still, you will need a decent time investment to hit rank 10.
beached wrote:
4 years ago
Ok, noob question incoming on this thread. I never pvp. If I do, I just pug a battleground. Never bothered myself with rank gear or even bothering to look at ranks.

Do ranks expire every week? Like, if I work my ass off for rank 13, is it only for 1 week? How does the rank gear work. If I have rank 13 pvp gear, and I am Rank 13 this week, I can wear it. But if I dont pvp for 1 week, I cant wear it anymore? None of the pvp guides talk about this. They say you need to rank up compared to other players, and the the cycled are 1 week long, but never address if you can get down ranked week to week, or if I need to maintain 6 different sets of pvp gear and equip only the peices of the rank I am that specific week.

Thanks for explaining!
Ranks expire but you can keep using the gear even if you no longer have the rank. The rank is only required for buying the gear, not for using it.

cigarettes